How would I even begin a sleeve

Synesthesia

This is probably the dumbest question ever...but I have tons of ideas about traditional style tattoos I like and I have no idea where to begin. I think I'm finally ready to start getting things on my arms and am open to the idea of getting a full sleeve someday, but I'm not necessarily actively pursuing it. I'm looking at more one shot type pieces, small to medium sized, and just having them assembled over the years into something that vaguely resembles a sleeve. At this point, I like traditional tattoos without filler, but maybe that will change once it's completed. Where does someone start with these type of projects? Do I start at my shoulder and just work my way down? Should I hit up the big areas (shoulder, inner bicep, inner forearm, etc) and leave awkward small areas for filler (elbow, ditch, etc)? I don't want to end up wasting valuable space and having tons of weird spaces I can't fill in.

I'm a girl, if that makes any difference whatsoever.

My arms are all pick and stick tattoos, and if I were to start over with the same aesthetic, I would definitely get large tattoos in the large spaces first. Nothing sucks more than wanting a big tattoo in a certain area and realizing that you don't have enough room for it. Also, when advising clients on where to put a design that they have already chosen, I tell them to put it in a spot that is the same size and shape as the design. So if I were starting my arms over again, I would start with larger pieces on the inner and outer biceps, large vertical designs down the backs of the forearms(mid upper bicep, over the elbow to upper wrist) or a large diagonal design wrapping from back of the elbow to front of the wrist, central/circular designs over the ditch, and then porkchop sized pieces on the inner forearms and wrists. It is always fun to put smaller tattoos between the spaces that are already well-framed and fit nicely in the area.

That is just my own opinion on what I think looks best in terms of placement on the arms, but really it is up to you. I think the most solid course of action is to definitely start from the top to the bottom and place things where they fit best.

I didn't set out to get sleeves, it just kinda happened. I started at the top of my shoulder and every few weeks or months I'd head in and get something new. I had a couple of much older tattoos to work around, but they didn't prove to be a problem. I thought I'd have to get them covered up, but the people at The Pearl talked me out of it - I'm glad they did. In fact, everything they told me has been confirmed by the advice I've seen others give here. After a while I realised that I needed some help figuring things out. I set up an appointment with Tim and we mapped out a series of small/mid sized pieces, that still left room for some fun little filler pieces. I think @clatattooing 's advice is great. We each do things our own way, but there are some underlying principles that if we are open to hearing good advice, will serve us well. Good luck!

My arms are all pick and stick tattoos' date=' and if I were to start over with the same aesthetic, I would definitely get large tattoos in the large spaces first. Nothing sucks more than wanting a big tattoo in a certain area and realizing that you don't have enough room for it. Also, when advising clients on where to put a design that they have already chosen, I tell them to put it in a spot that is the same size and shape as the design. So if I were starting my arms over again, I would start with larger pieces on the inner and outer biceps, large vertical designs down the backs of the forearms(mid upper bicep, over the elbow to upper wrist) or a large diagonal design wrapping from back of the elbow to front of the wrist, central/circular designs over the ditch, and then porkchop sized pieces on the inner forearms and wrists. It is always fun to put smaller tattoos between the spaces that are already well-framed and fit nicely in the area. That is just my own opinion on what I think looks best in terms of placement on the arms, but really it is up to you. I think the most solid course of action is to definitely start from the top to the bottom and place things where they fit best.[/quote']

Great advice IMO!

I'm kinda doing what you are talking about OP, but am kinda in the same boat(to some extent) as Cltattooing but not entirely.. I'm kinda on the fence about back ground. One tattooer asked me while getting my last piece when I was going to start getting the traditional dots and stars to fill the background and my tattooer looked at him and said the plan is to fill space with tattoos and some mini's right now, then he said that I had a long way to go before I should be worried about that. Couldn't have said it better.. Personally, my tattooer and I are concentrating on getting the tattoos I want, where I want them and where they fit. Once all that is done we will discuss background.

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure how much anatomy should be factored in with these kind of designs (especially being a fairly dainty girl...some spots are harder to pull off, haha). @cltattooing, that makes a lot of sense and definitely helps me visualize what type of shapes should go where. The shop I've been going to recently put a ton of traditional flash on the wall and I consider this a sign that I need to proceed with these plans ASAP. :D

I'm just getting my tattoo journey started and I'm going for a sort of patchwork traditional look, started with a big piece on my upper arm, shoulder almost to the elbow, got one on the inside of my arm, and then the inner forearm. I want to do something on my elbow next before the outside of my wrist but maybe I'll take advantage of that whole flat area instead.