Hand Tattoos

graybones

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I posted these in the new tattoos thread but here are my hands by Guen Douglas. They hurt like a bitch and I had a shitty heal (they need a few touch ups but neither of us are in a hurry!)  really happy I have them done. I've got full coverage on arms and most of legs but not torso - partly because this is where I want my biggest pieces - but to get my hands done was very symbolic of committing myself to tattooing. No going back to teaching for me! Plus I just feel more 'me'. Hard to explain but I reckon someone gets it. large.gallery_63042_13_1461690279_19282.png

3 hours ago, Guerillaneedles said:

I posted these in the new tattoos thread but here are my hands by Guen Douglas. They hurt like a bitch and I had a shitty heal (they need a few touch ups but neither of us are in a hurry!)  really happy I have them done. I've got full coverage on arms and most of legs but not torso - partly because this is where I want my biggest pieces - but to get my hands done was very symbolic of committing myself to tattooing. No going back to teaching for me! Plus I just feel more 'me'. Hard to explain but I reckon someone gets it. 

those are super nice tattoos ! very cool.

and  I get it. :12_slight_smile:

Edited by Dan

On 6/30/2016 at 0:31 PM, Guerillaneedles said:

but to get my hands done was very symbolic of committing myself to tattooing. No going back to teaching for me! Plus I just feel more 'me'. Hard to explain but I reckon someone gets it.

Oh, I totally get it. I'd wanted a lot of tattoos from a pretty young age so my first one went from wrist to elbow. Good on you for taking the plunge!

1 hour ago, Alex88876 said:

There're really nice tattoos on the pics. I'm not sure yet, if I want one on my hand, but I'm eager to know if it hurts much. Can u tell?
I'm having a tiger on my left arm, like here. This is my first tattoo.

pain wise my hand tattoo IMO was not too bad actually,

my hand swelled up after the tattoo,but as far as pain goes,I have definitely had places on my body that were way worse on the pain scale.

Edited by Dan

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, WildDonald said:

I have couple of ideas about hand tattoo. Which you like?

more ideas for hand you can find here - http://thewildtattoo.com/powerful-roaring-lions-tattoo/

23-Roaring-Lion-With-Chain.jpeg

5-Roaring-Lion-On-The-Hand.jpeg

6-Unusual-lion-skull-tattoo-on-palm.jpg

sure,if you find the right artist,and I would stay away from palm tattoos,I love back of hand or top tattoos,but not the palm.

palm tattoos are guaranteed to "fall out".

and the pain level is insane,(from what I have heard).

I have a  rose on the top of my right hand and have an appointment to get a tiger head on my left hand the 25th of this month actually.

that web site,it's yours ? right ? are you trying to sell designs or is that your work ? 

are you looking for ideas for your self ?  what is the point of your post ?

Edited by Dan

• 9 months later...

I currently reside in Portland Oregon which is a pretty free thinking liberal microcasim in a conservative state. This year I traveled to SF, Oakland, LA, and Seattle so far and what I've noticed is the sheer previlance of hand tattoos on younger people (my people) 20-30s. Having had the opportunity to be tattooed by some of the most respected cats in the game we've talked about this phenomena. The resounding answer I hear from those tattooers is that they will avoid tattooing hands at almost all costs. When I really break it down with them their criteria is always the same, the individual should have heavy coverage, a stable job without any aspersions of making a massive shift in the work force and an understanding of the gravity of a hand tattoos whether they see it that way or not.

I love hand tattoos I love the power they carry and at times I see myself with them one day. I always end the internal conversation asking myself those same questions. Do I have the coverage that would garner the respect of those in the industry I look up to, am I in a financial place where I feel stable enough in my job, is there another career that I might be limited or barred from because of my self expression?

I am in no way suggesting these are rules everyone has to have thinking of getting hand tattoos.  I guess I'm hoping to start the conversation on this current influx of hand tattoos, will these young people change the norm in accepting hand tattoos or are they just as limiting as we were raised to believe even in this day and age?

4 hours ago, Baboom said:

I currently reside in Portland Oregon which is a pretty free thinking liberal microcasim in a conservative state. This year I traveled to SF, Oakland, LA, and Seattle so far and what I've noticed is the sheer previlance of hand tattoos on younger people (my people) 20-30s. Having had the opportunity to be tattooed by some of the most respected cats in the game we've talked about this phenomena. The resounding answer I hear from those tattooers is that they will avoid tattooing hands at almost all costs. When I really break it down with them their criteria is always the same, the individual should have heavy coverage, a stable job without any aspersions of making a massive shift in the work force and an understanding of the gravity of a hand tattoos whether they see it that way or not.

I love hand tattoos I love the power they carry and at times I see myself with them one day. I always end the internal conversation asking myself those same questions. Do I have the coverage that would garner the respect of those in the industry I look up to, am I in a financial place where I feel stable enough in my job, is there another career that I might be limited or barred from because of my self expression?

I am in no way suggesting these are rules everyone has to have thinking of getting hand tattoos.  I guess I'm hoping to start the conversation on this current influx of hand tattoos, will these young people change the norm in accepting hand tattoos or are they just as limiting as we were raised to believe even in this day and age?

There may come a day when hand tattoos won't limit career choices, but we're not there yet. I have pretty heavy coverage; two sleeves, full back and one leg, but I can cover everything up with pants and a long sleeve shirt. My only comment for people that want to get hand tattoos is to go into it with your eyes wide open. In today's economy, there is no more job security. You may need to switch companies or occupations. Think long and hard. If you decide to do it anyway, go big or go home!

I've had tattoos for a very long time now... and it is interesting how a first tattoo choice seems to have crept down to more visible spaces as the years have passed - in olden times first tats would typically be shoulder/upper arm... This is no longer the case - with sleeves these days seemingly proceeding upwards rather than downwards.... it's madness I tell you :-).

I am getting old though - I was chatting with my tattooist chap about such things and he is getting more youngsters than ever looking for finger/hand/neck tattoos.  I would certainly consider such things but would only have the confidence to do so after my retirement.  

That said it is very true that the tattoo universe has changed substantially over the last 30 years in it's relationship with the real world - at my place of work we have a dress down Friday - the young 'uns don't seem to mind their ink out on display ....and I've heard no disparaging murmurings from the old guard.  

Me -   I wear long sleeved shirts  - but... that's just me.  It would be interesting to hear how many others have colleagues at work with no idea re the mileage of their inkage - I'm sure it's not just me (or is it :-) )?

• 1 year later...

What's the protocol for the aftercare of hand tattoos? I figure hands would be pretty sensitive after said tattoos. I've gotten a shoulder tattoo before and I used aquaphor and moisturizer post healing. I'm guessing the pain is pretty bad too on hands since there's minimal muscle there?

Super glad this is being talked about. . . . It's becoming an issue here in our shop, that hasn't garnered the best reaction from the (new generation of clients).... We have a lot of 2nd generation clients coming in, and I know their parents are comforted that they don't have to worry about their 20 year old coming home with a throat tattoo, let alone hand blasts....

We live in the buckle of the bible belt... It could be 100 degrees outside, if I have to go to the grocery store, and I don't feel like fielding questions, or even getting vibes, or being followed because I look suspect: I wear a hoodie... 

Our shop has about a 30 min question/lecture time for anyone coming in and wanting "sacred spots" tattooed, and they don't meet the required coverage tattoo wise... It's more of an educational spiel .... And most the time, people get it, when they don't, depending on the circumstances, we tend to turn that away... If someone is independently wealthy, and it's obvious they won't take no for an answer, and they are so desperate they will risk going to a "scratcher", we may make an exception, after they think on it a couple days.... (and hopefully come to their senses).

I guess, some things aren't going to be sacred much longer, but in this shop, we will stick with tradition. What sucks is seeing amazing tattooing on hands, then immediately seeing, oh, they don't have arm tattoos.... I had that reaction to these amazing hand jobs, but.... kinda sunk at the same time.

As usual scrolling the IG, and then a gasp.... ehh. I am getting too old. 

hands.jpg

On 6/4/2018 at 2:29 PM, Kumoku said:

What's the protocol for the aftercare of hand tattoos? I figure hands would be pretty sensitive after said tattoos. I've gotten a shoulder tattoo before and I used aquaphor and moisturizer post healing. I'm guessing the pain is pretty bad too on hands since there's minimal muscle there?

Healing is worse than the tattoo on the hand. I dry healed my hands as I now do for all my tattoos. It was the scariest and most painful healing experience in my 15 years getting tattoo.  But I received them from one of the best cats around, so even though it looked like my hand was a candidate for an amputation, by the end of a grueling 6 week period it looked immaculate and no ink was lost. I had faith the entire time in what my tattooist had made for me.

This is precisely why one should wait and explore tattooing on other parts of the body that are easier to heal and gain a better understanding of what tattooing is.

WUOT3309.JPG