Hand Tattoos

graybones

I know I already posted this picture when I first got these done, but I figured I'd include a photo in the actual "Hand Tattoo" thread as well.

Here are my hands. Applied by Thomas Hooper.

1173060_1393758387515725_128042519_n.jpg

Also, and my apologies for missing this the first time 'round, but the "PERSIST" script on my upper knuckles was done by Norm, the bonji Om was done by Chad Woodley, and the "KNOW LOVE" on my lower knuckles was done by Trevor Taylor.

@rozone I know I've commented many times before on your hands, but they are so unbelievably good. The way that the hands are two separate designs that carry over into a single coherent piece is kind of blowing my mind right now. I'm so glad it worked out for you, Thomas is a really special tattooer.

Absolutely. Thanks so much, man.

All I had told him beforehand was that I wanted a mandala on one hand and some bold geometric tribal-style work on the other, and when I showed up at Rock of Ages he blew my mind with this idea he was kicking around. I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out.

Also, he had a ton of great recommendations for vegan restaurants in Austin and was kind enough to drive me and my girlfriend to his favourite spot in town when we finished up! Overall, it was a way cool experience.

@rozone those are stunning.

I'm always curious what people with hand and neck tattoos do for work. Whether they're in the "industry" or have an awesome white collar job that is lenient, or work in the trades somehow. Or the last category of young kids working from the outside in (hands before sleeves etc) and not realising potential hangups from doing it that way versus inside out.

I will treat myself to hand tattoos when I retire, it's a rad piece of real estate for sure.

I'm always curious what people with hand and neck tattoos do for work. Whether they're in the "industry" or have an awesome white collar job that is lenient, or work in the trades somehow. Or the last category of young kids working from the outside in (hands before sleeves etc) and not realising potential hangups from doing it that way versus inside out.

I will treat myself to hand tattoos when I retire, it's a rad piece of real estate for sure.

Thanks so much, @Euchlid!

Fortunately, I work for one of Canada's leading boutique digital media studios where tattoos are not only accepted, but are actually seen as an asset in certain situations. I've, obviously, had to work quite hard to get where I am, but it's definitely pretty great to be in a creative working environment that doesn't pass judgements on me based on aesthetic decisions I may make with my body.

It took me 10 years to bite the bullet and breach the collar. I thought neck tattoos would be a big change in the way I am perceived...by my family, friends, clients, strangers...overall it has been very positive and has complimented my personality and confidence. I mean the majority of my body is tattooed and covered. Why? Because I love tattoos, the commitment, the experience getting them, the healing and the aging. So why should I be afraid to let that show and hide who I am - an illustrated person.

We use our hands for so much in our daily lives. I think hand tattoos are a very expressive piece of real estate (as is the neck line) - as a lot of these hand tattoos in this thread demonstrate. I am not sure for myself at the moment however, I feel it would be distracting for me to wear...not ready for the big stuff yet haha and I think personally the wait to get hand-blasted will be all the more rewarding. I think the outside-in approach of the younger generation...well...I think it trivializes the overall experience of getting tattooed. But everybody has their own opinions and reasons for getting tattooed.

My feelings toward tattooing my own hands will likely change in the years to come as my tattoos age, my coverage increases (real estate decreases!) and my life-situation develops. Patience and waiting is part of the tattoo experience for me, much in the same way that spontaneous tattoos have their place as well. And there will be something satisfying when my skull and hands (in that order lol) are made. I think I will likely drop my sleeve cuffs down onto my wrists first and then maybe consider a smaller standalone pieces on my hands (instead of a full mitt style).

I work as an professional engineer. I work for a smaller consulting company and have a flexible job. I am happy I waited, I don't think breaching the shirt line earlier on in my career would have been a wise decision. I didn't have the life experience and leadership qualities to backup my eng work and overshadow a rogue appearance. Now I am older, more experienced and have the respect of my peers in the industry for the good work and professionalism I have demonstrated.

It is only recently that my clients and work contacts have started noticing and I have not been shy in asking about my tattoos (but, god, why does everyone have to refer to them as 'taaaaattz'?!?, really dumbs it down yknow) There is a time and place however and that is where you say "yknow I'd love to discuss tattooing with you at a later time, but perhaps right now this project meeting is not the appropriate forum". You'd be surprised how much respect you get as a young tattooed person from normals when you take charge of poorly timed conversation like that. On the flip side, when I am on a construction site for an inspection, the trades people comment on the tattooed engineer and frankly make me feel more welcome than say the engineer dork in pleated dockers who is too proud to get his shirt dirty.

Tattoos make you an interesting person "maaan I bet that cat has got some stories mhmmm" but generally that is because you were an interesting person already before the tattoos.

/and now...back to the thread...post some more great pics of hand tattoos ! :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

These are my hands. The bird by Bailey Robinson and the panther by Steve Byrne. The knuckles and little guys were done by Vinse One. Actually Matt Arriola did the anchor.

Awesome! love the space and size around your tattoos. Nice placement, and the tattoos are grrreat

@bongsau. Excellent post. Sums it up exactly.

Took me 20...something years to hit solid neck and hands/ fingers. Even then at first I felt exposed, but they're my favourite additions because as mentioned above, it compliments who I am and the rest of the suit.

Even the compliments from work surprised me.

As I've mentioned before, I work health care at a majour metro hospital within Corporate Services.

Even attending Executive meetings, I lay my cards and hands on the table, and when you can prove your able to talk the talk, people become more interested in what you have to say rather than the way you look. Breaking down prejudice is great.

@bongsau. Excellent post. Sums it up exactly.

Took me 20...something years to hit solid neck and hands/ fingers. Even then at first I felt exposed, but they're my favourite additions because as mentioned above, it compliments who I am and the rest of the suit.

Even the compliments from work surprised me.

As I've mentioned before, I work health care at a majour metro hospital within Corporate Services.

Even attending Executive meetings, I lay my cards and hands on the table, and when you can prove your able to talk the talk, people become more interested in what you have to say rather than the way you look. Breaking down prejudice is great.

Word. I can relate to this 100%. There's no better feeling in the world than shattering someone's expectations based on how you look with a solid proven track record and a strong work ethic.

@bongsau awesome insight. Thanks. That's pretty much in line with my thought on the whole matter. Smashing prejudices is awesome, but remembering that the reason heavily tattooed folks are prejudiced is totally voluntary, versus racism or other "isms" is always good. I think a few young kids I've seen with hand and neck (outside in! Haha) whinging about not getting a job in an already shitty job market could keep that in perspective.

I love seeing people in "white collar" jobs with tattoos, i think within another generation it will be pretty standard fare. That said, I would never imagine myself as a flight attendant with hand tattoos, so those will have to wait :)

I took a rather round about way to getting my hands done. I got my first tattoo right after I turned 18 and graduated from Marine Corps boot camp on my shoulder. From that moment on I had always wanted more but I just didn't have any idea what I wanted. I knew I wanted more but I wasn't going to just get something for the sake of getting something. I waited almost 10 years till I got my next tattoo and since last june I've gone from having one to now having 11 but all of them have meaning even down to which part of the body they are on. I finally decided to do my hands starting with the outside of my hands because I will be a student for the next 7yrs. Two more for undergrad and 5 for grad school to get my PhD in psych. Since I'm lucky enough to be able to use the GiBill and thus not have to work during school I'm in an environment where I will be judged by my academics and aptitude first and foremost. I also have found that when you can give exact reasons for your tattoos people who may have negatively viewed visible ink before change their opinion.

I also think though that because generally I only interact with other students and faculty they are generally more likely to be open minded and judge you based off of your intellect not your looks. The last reason I chose to go ahead with getting my hands done is that I plan on doing research primarily which means I won't generally be dealing with the public and the little practicing I may end up doing would be for fellow veterans which will not take issue with me having tattoos in visible places. In the end I think its how you carry yourself that determines how people view your tattoos. If you're well spoken, polite and generally a decent human being all but the most close minded will probably end up either liking your art or just dismissing it as a whole as something thats immaterial.

Hand tattoos are my absolute favourites to look at, but it'll be a while before i'm ready for them.

Someone I used to work with got his hand tattooed (with nothing on his arms), and as soon as they were healed realised it was a stupid decision for him and started having them lasered. He got offended when I laughed at his pain :p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...