Have you ever made an appt not knowing for sure what you want to have done?

iowagirl

Then you will no doubt have an absolutely killer tattoo at the end of those 2.5 hours. Should be a good size tattoo as well, as Scott is very fast.

Your prediction was absolutely correct. I left with a large, simply amazing tattoo from his own hand painted flash. What a great experience too, a truly class act shop and I had a great time. Planning a return trip.

Got a consult with Nolan in a week and a half, pretty much just gonna show him some spots and some general themes I'm into.

I was in Acme the other day and aside from a ridiculous amount of old flash, I found they had the flash for one of the first tattoos I remember being impressed by, not sure if he did the one I saw in the magazine but it was a real experience to stumble across that. #murica

I have one coming up in a couple of weeks with a new shop. The artist knows what I'm looking for, I showed him some things in his portfolio that I was looking to add into some existing work. I'll also bring some examples with me from tattoo books, but I have high confidence that it will come out great and will give him free artistic reign.

Rob

I think it depends on the person, if you like getting tattooed on a whim that's cool, if not than you should definitely plan something out. I think it's best if you are going to set up an appointment with an artist, to maybe have something in mind. That way the artist has a general idea of how much time they need to take on your piece. Remember to be respectful of your artists schedule. Don't drop a surprise back piece on an artist that has you booked for a couple of hours, not cool.

• 1 month later...
geezus this is my predicament right now... i have 2 ideas i have in mind and i have a month to figure out which one i want.. one will cost about $3k.. the other will cost about $10k lol...

If you aren't sure you should postpone your appointment until you are sure. A full back piece is a huge commitment of time, money and pain. I have my last appointment next month and I've been working on my back for a year and a half. I had a full sleeve and chest piece before starting on my back.

It's a pretty risky first tattoo. There are a lot of aspects to getting and being tattooed that you don't understand until after you are tattooed. You don't even know how well you will sit.

Good luck, I hope it works out.

• 1 month later...

I would never schedule an appointment without knowing what I wanted already, it makes the artists in my shop nervous when someone comes in not sure what they want to get since they are going to have it forever you would think they would have it figured out by the time they show up. It's a thing I've heard artists bitch about for years.

Well, I started the thread a while back b/c I was uncertain exactly what I wanted, and even tho I thought I'd made a mistake w/it, it's turning out perfectly in the end. So much so in fact, that I'm going to extend the work I'm having done to incorporate an existing tattoo-tho that tattoo will have to be reworked. And it will all then blend in with work I had done a couple years ago. So, it's worked out pretty good! The artists have been receptive to "Um...i dunno..I like flowers, will flowers work? Whatever you think, go ahead and do it"

Some of my best pieces were just an idea and my tattoo artist took it from there!! Rather than use someone else's pictures you get your "own" one of a kind piece! Or use someone else's picture and they make it your own by tweaking the original design!

That's awesome, having an idea and not knowing what you want are 2 different things, when someone says they don't know what they want that implies, they have no idea what they want. We get people coming in all the time who say things like I want to get a tat, and we say ok what do you want and they say I don't know just want to get my arm filled up, or I want a sleeve and we say a sleeve of what and they say just whatever. So when someone says they don't know what they want I take them at their word. If someone said I have an idea but not a picture i'd be like yes that's awesome, we can work with that. You see what I mean?

• 6 months later...

This thread gives me hope. Less than seven days until my first tattoo and I have no idea what I want. Well I have a list of 1000 tattoos I want, I just can't choose one.

I trust my artist to do a kickass job. I like her art and I'm pretty sure she'll come up with something far more awesome than I. I'm just gonna give her the broadest of briefs and let the chips fall where they may. One things for certain, I'll stress a lot less of my second tattoo than I have over my first.

I'm now to the point where I want to know pretty much what I'll be getting. A couple of appointments from last year (went right along with my supremely fucked up 2014..) left me not being happy after the sessions. But nothing that cannot be improved upon. Live and learn.

I'm back with an older shop I've used in the past but working with a new artist that did a lot of work on my son. I have 2 large tattoos in the works and am totally pleased with the results.

• 3 weeks later...

All of my tattoos have been stuff that my artist and I visualized differently. The awesome thing is, I have loved every single one of them. When I went in for my first tattoo, I wanted to get a skull (minus the jawbone) laying on top of a pile of bullets, photo realistic. I wasn't very good at conveying that though, so my artist drew up a skull that was a bit more cartoony with smoke coming out of spent shell casings and the skulls open jaws. It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen, and to this day I still love that it was my first ink. I've learned from experience that I get more fun out of giving him a general idea without any real structure, and letting him run with it. They always turn out awesome to me, anyways!

• 4 weeks later...