Have you ever made an appt not knowing for sure what you want to have done?

iowagirl

• 4 weeks later...
I might have to do this, but I am kinda nervous! I am no good at drawing or designing, but I have the general idea in my head of what I want done.

This is the best way to get tattoos. The tattooer should be good at drawing and designing, so if you give them a basic idea they can usually come up with something cooler than what the average person would, and designed to work well as a tattoo and age well.

This is the best way to get tattoos. The tattooer should be good at drawing and designing, so if you give them a basic idea they can usually come up with something cooler than what the average person would, and designed to work well as a tattoo and age well.

Thanks! Hoping that the ideas I get from you guys and my own picture in my head will be enough for the tattoo artist to design me a stellar first tattoo!

i absolutely feel that if you love the artists work, you will love whatever you get from them. Give them a vague idea of what you want/ like and chances are they''ll nail it in a way that they know how.

But again, you've gotta love and trust their work/ art.

i absolutely feel that if you love the artists work, you will love whatever you get from them. Give them a vague idea of what you want/ like and chances are they''ll nail it in a way that they know how.

But again, you've gotta love and trust their work/ art.

This is what I have done for the piece I am getting this summer, I gave the artist some pointers and I will let him do his thing based on it.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to revisit this again. For all my anxiety when I started this thread, it's actually worked out pretty well. I've been a lot more relaxed when I've gone in these times, especially b/c I felt such trust w/my artist at our first session. When I went in last month, he asked what I wanted to do to expand the piece. We'd talked about doing more flowers and adding wind on the left side, coming up to meet the water and flowers on the other side, but we'd not discussed specifics. I said I didn't know what to do w/it really, how much space to use, how it should move toward the center, or if it should be off center so more water/flowers on one side or more wind/flowers on one side etc. It took about 10 seconds to decide on a mum, b/c I don't have one yet but I have peonies and cherry blossoms. I told him just to do whatever he feels would be best, and he did and I'm loving it. It's bigger than what I thought I wanted and I love that too. He told me to think about colors for the frog redo and for the mum for this time coming up (sunday)--I emailed him a couple pictures for mum color and am leaving it pretty much up to him. It's pretty freeing now.

• 4 weeks later...
I've done it and I think one of the super fun things about tattooing is walking into a shop not really knowing what you want and getting something that feels right at the moment. I'm thinking of trying to get a walk-in somewhere next week when I'm visiting my parents. Spontaneous tattoos rule.

I've had a couple tattoos (one last year and one about a month ago) from a fairly well-known artist, and I guess they were somewhat spontaneous... I gave him a basic idea of what I wanted, but I didn't see them until I arrived at his studio. I didn't really see the need to make any changes to the designs. I think there's something kind of "old school" about walking in and getting a tattoo that you haven't been brooding over for months- kind of like the sailors and military men/women of the past. IMHO, I think it's important to go with something fairly timeless, though. I wouldn't be real happy about a New Kids On The Block tattoo these days :)