In NYC

scubaron

Live in NYC. Got my 1st tattoo a month ago by a friend. I am happy with the tattoo, but it is flash.

Looking for something custom on my shoulder/upper arm next. I like dark blackwork with detail.

Happy there are so many great artists in NYC, but the choice of artists/shop is kind of overwhelming.

depends on the style .. japanese , traditional etc

I'm a dark skinned Asian. I think dark all black will look best, so Japanese and traditional are probably out.

I like geometric shapes and patterns. Was thinking a shark or octopus, but not something off a flash sheet. I want a custom unique design. Luckily cost is not a big factor.

I've read so many different reviews and articles about the best tattoo shops in NYC my head is spinning.

Welcome to the forum. There's nothing at all wrong with getting tattooed from flash, though from what you're describing here, I would suggest checking out John Sultana at Saved Tattoo in Williamsburg.

I second @Graeme's recommendation on John Sultana for black/grey geometric work from Saved Tattoo. Also check out Zac Shienbaum from Saved as well for black/grey work and dot work.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I took a quick look at John Sultana's Instagram page. I really like his designs, but I'm not sure about the dotwork style. Looks like it's not just subtle dot shading but the whole tattoo is dots.

The dotwork is just one style and I'm sure if you have a conversation with him or perhaps Zac, they can come up with something that will fit your idea.

@scubaron I noticed that you said that you are a dark skinned Asian, and as such, cannot get Americana or Japanese tattoos. If you do some research on Henry Lewis, you might change your mind. Also, I am a fairly dark skinned Asian, and am sticking to all Americana and Japanese pieces so far. There is, of course, a law of diminishing returns, but I will leave that to the professional tattooers to draw.

Yeah, Saved has all their artist portfolios available for viewing in the shop. While you're there, be sure to look at Anderson Luna's portfolio. He doesn't do the geometric thing, for that you'll need to talk to John or Zac, but he does a lot of black and grey and the tattoos he does are some of the best I've ever seen. He has the balance between tough and beautiful down perfectly and his tattoos are utterly spectacular.

Funny you mention Anderson Luna. When I first looked at the Saved website, Anderson's work caught my eye the most. Amazing tattoos with a lot of detail. The stuff on his Instagram page is a little too girly for me, but there are some exceptions like his skull and shark. From what I've seen online of Anderson, John and Zac, I think I'd be happy with any of them. Might be a matter of who is available.