Coverup/Removal

David Akers

Hey fellow members. I got this tattoo on kind of a spur of a moment thing. I didn't think how it would flow as a sleeve and now I kind of regret getting it. It's not bad work; at least I don't think so. It's just I don't know how to make it flow as a cohesive sleeve. Any one with previous experience or knowledge on cover ups; is this one that could be covered up easily or is removal my only option?

It's super dark, so you may need to work the black band into an existing piece or get laser treatments to cover it with something new. However, if you like the piece then a tattoo artist may be able to give suggestions on how to incorporate it into a sleeve or other designs. The only problem I see with it is that it is upside down and that may make it difficult to continue a similar or different design up your arm.

*Please note I am not a tattoo artist only an avid collector and I have no personal experience with laser removal/cover-ups.

@David Akers, my only fear with blackwork/mandala type stuff is it's very light and sparse compared to what you have now. You would have to laser that to the point of extinction. It's your decision, but another option would be to do the blackwork/mandala stuff from your shoulder down and have it blend into your existing forearm tattoo. Just my $0.02.

I agree with @HaydenRose here. Does your existing tattoo wrap all the way around your forearm? Either way, you could go from your shoulder down, blend it with your existing tattoo, and then do something like HaydenRose pointed out the other day in the blackwork and dotwork thread and do geometric patterns as background in the negative space.

Probably the best thing to do though would be to find the tattooer you want to do the rest of your arm, and talk with him or her about whether your existing tattoo could be incorporated into something larger, whether you should laser it, or whatever.

Be wary of pictures like that. It looks great like that, but how is it going to look healed? How will it look 20 years from now? I think if I was in that guy's position that I'd rather get laser and have far more options.

But seriously, talk to an artist and get a professional opinion because all we can do here is speculate on what will work.

If I was in that guys position; sure I'd rather get it lasered. That's a lot of straight black on his skin. I would only have to black out the bottom portion of my forearm and then incorporate some design to go with the branches. But will do; I just wanted to see what the members here thought was possible.

I needed to lighten a star I had tattooed so that I can cover it with something else. It was still very dark and I was told about this product. I looked it up online and ended up buying it through worldwide tattoo. I had my friend who is an artist use it on me and it worked fairly well. Depending on the size or how light you want to go, this might work for you as well.

2856.jpg&width=237?type=product&loc=products%2F2856.jpg&width=237

This is my first post but I have been getting tattoos for over 20 years. So just thought I would offer my opinion since I am currently getting some laser done to remove some cartoon tattoos I got on my forearms when I was 18, now 39 years old.

I would have a discussion with your tattoo artist and see what he/she can and can't do. The one thing I would say is don't get a specific cover up because it is the only thing that will cover properly, if you DONT really dig the cover up design.

Sometimes they simply need the tattoo lightened up in order to achieve what you want. The old measure twice and cut once saying applies more to getting tattoos than woodworking in my opinion......I am spending a good deal of money to remove some not so thought out decisions I made when I was 18 and hit up the local shop on walk in day....

If you need to do some laser to end up with what you want on your arm for the rest of your life...bite the bullet and do it if the artist says it is needed.

No, I really love the way blackwork and sacred geometry looks. And I initially wanted an entire sleeve that way. Not just because I believed it would cover up my forearm the best. Thanks for your input. I care about how things flow and what not; but I really want to collect different styles. But that's another thread! Haha

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I have a lower back tattoo (almost ass crack) that I got when I was 20 a very long time ago. Think kinda tribal with vines and flowers. You get the idea. I want this tattoo gone, but the problem is, my back is super twitchy. Idealy I would want to cover it up (its around 15cm wide) but unless I take a few valium and pass out, I just can't handle any part of my back being tattooed. I get the worst spasms from people just touching my back.

Should I just laser it and know it's never going to be completely gone, or perservere with a cover up? Anyone else have a super sensitive back?

• 1 month later...

Lazering off the tattoo is always dangerous because it releases tons of harmful chemical compounds into your body. What is generally safe ( Tattoo Pigment) to have in the dermis of your skin, is another matter pumping through your lymphatic system, as your body tries to get rid of it, after lazer treatment. A good artist will be able to work with what you have to make something new and wonderful, even if it takes a couple of applications.

Getting the tattoo right the first time is the most efficient way to get tattooed, but being willing to allow an artist to do what is necessary to transform your inadequate art into something new and wonderful is the next best thing.

You really have to find the right artist for that though, someone who is fluid in the Tattoo style of art you want and is experienced in coverups as well. My 2 cents...

Thinking outside the box...to make it cohesive, you could do something where the top part of your arm implies that the existing black tattoo is a reflection/shadow on water? Like nature/birds at the shoulder with a tree and waves at the elbow? Incorporate some tesselations to give you the "sacred geometry" look. Just brainstormin, you could do something inspired by the MC Escher reflection pieces:

escher_three-worlds.jpg