Getting first tattoo but on blood thinning medication

Arne Van Ongeval

Hi guys,

Have been looking forward to my first tattoo for quiet some time. Appointment was made a long time ago. But have been in surgery. (they had to close a hole in heart chambers. Minor surgery where they cut a vain in my leg and inserted some kind of umbrella that was opened in front of the hole).

That was 1 month ago and I am on Clopidogrel and Asaflow to prevent my blood from cluttering. My tattoo appointment is in one week from today and I am wondering what I can expect.

My artist said to come by anyway, give it a go and see what happens. If I bleed too much she'll just do the outlines and I'll have to make a new appointment.

Are there any artists or 'patients' that have experience with tattoos and blood thinners?

Thanks in advance,

Arne

Talk to your doctor, generally anything that thins your blood (ie alcohol) is frowned upon by artists because of the increased bleeding. Your artist seems willing to accommodate, but a second professional opinion can't hurt things and moving your appointment might be better for the both of you.

Welcome to LST, what are you getting done and who is your artist?

Thank you el twe.

Have contacted a few doctors. Their opinion is that the bleeding won't be so bad, but the healing process might take somewhat longer.

As for the tattoo:

I'm a passionated diver, and have a top 3 of sea creatures I want to see. As soon as I see one of them, and photograph them, they get a place on my arm/shoulder. The idea is to have my picture as the base for the tattoo.

I'm visiting Yliana Paolini in Brighton. I live in Belgium, so it is quiet a journey to get there...

I've seen a school of hammerhead sharks in Sudan last May. And they were on my list ;-)

So the sharks (as they usually are pretty deep), get a place on my upper arm...

Grtz,

Arne

I would suggest talking to both your artist and your doctor about it first, but you've already done that. Hopefully somebody here has some experience about getting tattooed while on blood thinners (or tattooing clients who take blood thinners), but can I suggest that you keep us updated as to how the tattoo and the healing process goes? One of the many reasons why LST is great is that there are a lot of people here with solid first-hand experience and I think that having you tell us about how it goes would be really helpful for anybody else wondering about the same thing.

This is strictly second hand knowledge, but I have heard from good tattooers that it is not the thinning of the blood that makes drunk patients so hard to deal with, it's the drunkenness. I mean, there are plenty of party tats going on at very reputable shops, but those are usually filler tattoos.

I am by no means a tattooer, but I did stay at a tattoo shop once.

I would suggest talking to both your artist and your doctor about it first, but you've already done that. Hopefully somebody here has some experience about getting tattooed while on blood thinners (or tattooing clients who take blood thinners), but can I suggest that you keep us updated as to how the tattoo and the healing process goes? One of the many reasons why LST is great is that there are a lot of people here with solid first-hand experience and I think that having you tell us about how it goes would be really helpful for anybody else wondering about the same thing.

Hi Graeme,

Will do. Hope to post good news on Saturday on how the tattoo went. And will keep track of healing process.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Small update on how it went on Friday:

Aside from train troubles between Londen and Brighton, everything went rather well. My blood is thinner, that was to be expected, but the bleeding didn't make it much harder for the artist. So we were able to do almost 4 hours. Me very happy, one more session and it will be done.

For anyone who might be in the same situation: the medication didn't make it impossible to get the tattoo for me, and the healing seems to be going rather smooth. Maybe a little to early to say, but no troubles what so ever.

Grtz,

Arne

And another update:

The healing process is going pretty fast. Scabbing started on day 3, the first day without the plastic foil. Now one week since I got the tattoo and everything is normalized. Only thing I still have is a bit of an itch...

I was afraid the healing would be slower. But it isn't the case...

Next appointment booked. Hope to be able to show you guys the nice piece of art on my arm somewhere in April...

Grtz,

Arne

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you el twe. Have contacted a few doctors. Their opinion is that the bleeding won't be so bad' date=' but the healing process might take somewhat longer. As for the tattoo: I'm a passionated diver, and have a top 3 of sea creatures I want to see. As soon as I see one of them, and photograph them, they get a place on my arm/shoulder. The idea is to have my picture as the base for the tattoo. I'm visiting Yliana Paolini in Brighton. I live in Belgium, so it is quiet a journey to get there... I've seen a school of hammerhead sharks in Sudan last May. And they were on my list ;-) So the sharks (as they usually are pretty deep), get a place on my upper arm... Grtz, Arne[/quote']

I am just seeing this and....I love sharks!!! That is sooo cool! Can't wait to see how the sharks come out in the tattoo.

• 2 months later...

Very cool - love the hammies! My back will have some schooling hammies at the top against the sun like this and I can't wait. Yours looks great!

- - - Updated - - -

T

I'm a passionated diver, and have a top 3 of sea creatures I want to see. As soon as I see one of them, and photograph them, they get a place on my arm/shoulder. The idea is to have my picture as the base for the tattoo.

Welcome - there are a few divers here getting sea creatures. You and I have a lot in common - I am also getting my own pictures tattooed on my back with the same idea - that the tattoo is stuff I've taken pictures of and my own memories. It's an awesome way to remember dives, right? :D I've never been diving over in your neck of the woods.

So you mentioned hammerheads and sharks - what's the 3rd creature you're looking to see?