Coverup, old tattoo color bleeding through the new tattoo

Colored Guy

I had a nice cover up done 2 years ago, a koi over an old dragon I had done in 1979. The old work still held some color, but it was beat up and faded badly. Over time, the old color seems to have been coming up to the surface in areas. The cover up was done by a reputable shop and had done other cover up work on me with nothing like this happening.

Was it an incompatible ink issue between the old and new? My artist says that she can go over it and that should take care of it. Any color on virgin skin outside of the old tattoo area is still very bright and true. Has anyone ran into this problem before?

Rob

Yeah, on an old tattoo that wasn't done properly. I had an owl done that had little to no linework, just layers of ink, really badly done tattoo. I had a traditional style owl done to cover it a few years later. There was a specific place where the skin was pretty beat up and didn't heal well and even with the well-done cover up, the skin there just wouldn't hold ink well anymore. How well done was your original dragon? Going over it again might take care of it, but if there is scar tissue or the skin there is pretty beat up, might be tough!

It has to do with a misunderstanding of how tattooing works, and not setting a proper expectation with you when starting the work.

First, lets address the bigger issue, there is no such thing as a cover-up. Yes, I said it. Sure, it's covering the old work but essentially any cover is a hide, hiding one tattoo under another.

Next, why did it bleed through? Because there was too much pigment. Tattooing is a practice of laying pigment in the dermis. If you have a dark colored wall in your home and you want to put beige or white over it, you know you need to put primer on it first before applying two layers of that new color.

As the skin heals from the tattooing, the pigment will settle in from the skin trauma and it's possible, especially as you tan and age.

Drink alcohol or take aspirin before you get tattooed thin the blood and can cause you to bleed heavily during the tattoo process. Do not scratch your tattoo and tattoo bleeding is normal for the first few days. Treat your new tattoo as an open wound, keep it clean and do not touch it. You should keep is moistened as much as possible and covered for the first 3-4 days. Tattoo bleeding is when some of the ink flakes off onto other parts of the tattoo, like peeling.

I have an appointment to get my tattoo covered in March. It is all black though faded. I have been trying to find pictures online of healed coverups so I can get an idea of how well black can be covered but mostly they are all fresh tattoos. One I saw someone had covered black with white and I know that isn't going to look good healed. Anywhere that I can find healed pictures of cover ups? Do any of you have solid black covered up?

Drink alcohol or take aspirin before you get tattooed thin the blood and can cause you to bleed heavily during the tattoo process. Do not scratch your tattoo and tattoo bleeding is normal for the first few days. Treat your new tattoo as an open wound, keep it clean and do not touch it. You should keep is moistened as much as possible and covered for the first 3-4 days. Tattoo bleeding is when some of the ink flakes off onto other parts of the tattoo, like peeling.

This is the only time this has happened and I don't drink before or take anything. It healed just as good as any on me. I'll have it touched up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On 9/1/2020 at 8:27 PM, TattooedBeccaBoo said:

I got a tattoo back in April with a magenta colored ink. I has been raised, itchy, and scaly only in the parts specifically containing the magenta ink. I have been to the doctor and it was diagnosed as an ink allergic reaction. I'm curious if I were to tattoo black ink into it if that would help the allergic reaction at all???

Not likely, because the magenta ink would still be in there.