I was on the back cover of the first issue of "International Tattoo" @91' ,I am a male,I wonder why I was on the back?

Fantastic thread just on quick observation why do certain types of tattoo magazines insist on only putting young girls wearing very little on the cover, often the cover models seem to have relatively few tattoos as well.Im sure there are lots of men with fantastic work as well as older women it would be nice to see some people like this on magazine covers.

When I'm wearing clothing that shows off my tattoo, I am often approached by strangers (usually men) who want to talk about it. Once, I've had a man ask me if I was religious, and that God would not approve of a young woman such as myself marring her body with tattoos. This was while I was having tea with a male friend of mine who is much more heavily tattooed than me. (I have two tattoos, he has 14.) So there is definitely still a prejudice against women with tattoos.

When I'm wearing clothing that shows off my tattoo, I am often approached by strangers (usually men) who want to talk about it. Once, I've had a man ask me if I was religious, and that God would not approve of a young woman such as myself marring her body with tattoos. This was while I was having tea with a male friend of mine who is much more heavily tattooed than me. (I have two tattoos, he has 14.) So there is definitely still a prejudice against women with tattoos.

Hahaha so last summer I took driving lessons, as I had never gotten my license, and at the start of my FIRST LESSON, when I was nervous as hell, the instructor noticed that I had tattoos (all my tattoos are very concealable--he just saw a tiny bit of my back peeking out of my t-shirt). He proceeded to TAKE HIS SHIRT OFF (I am alone in a car with this complete stranger) to show me his (but not before checking that no one was around so that, and I quote, he didn't "look like a pervert").

He was also really into prying about my ethnicity (Jewish), so while I was driving a car through downtown Montreal (which is a scary city to drive in) for the first time in FIFTEEN YEARS and just trying not to kill anyone, he started questioning me about how my parents felt about my tattoos, whether or not I was a good and practicing Jewish girl, etc.

Dude. I switched to other instructors for my subsequent lessons.

Im absolutely shocked that people would grab or touch anyone male or female to look at their tattoos. I don't understand why anyone would think that is acceptable behavior. I have been guilty of staring, but that was because I just wanted to check their work. Since I don't have any visible tattoos Im sure some people thought I disapproved when the opposite is true.

My wife and I got our first tattoos in the late fall so the weather has kept everything covered. I certainly hope she doesn't get accosted by some weirdo with an opinion.

Wait...how old were you when you first got your license?

I got my learner's permit at 17, dropped out of driving school because I hated it, and then only went back to finally learn properly and get my license last summer, at the ripe old age of 31. This is what happens when you live in a place with great public transit--I have lots of friends who did the same.

I got my learner's permit at 17, dropped out of driving school because I hated it, and then only went back to finally learn properly and get my license last summer, at the ripe old age of 31. This is what happens when you live in a place with great public transit--I have lots of friends who did the same.

Wow. That would be unheard of where i'm from. I was driving back and forth to work every day when I was 15. I guess you saved 15 years of car related expenses...you certainly have a leg up on me. Damn.

Hahaha it is even worse driving in downtown Montreal in a driver's ed car, because people get really aggro about not getting stuck behind you and do crazy things.

That said, I could still never drive in NY! When we go down @Graeme has to do that part. Part of the motivation for finally getting my license, though, was definitely to help him out with road trip driving as we have, you know, been making a lot of trips to New York lately, for some reason... :)

(If I may take this thread on even more of a tangent than it's already on - our last trip to New York, I was so happy to help with the driving and I was feeling pretty smug as we sailed through upstate New York until... I GOT STOPPED FOR SPEEDING! One month after getting my license! I was so embarrassed, until, I shit you not, I got out of a speeding ticket with the excuse that I am from Canada, and I don't understand miles. This worked! It was a proud moment. All that to say that I am maybe not so much help on the drive down.)

Montreal drivers are fairly aggressive but if you can drive aggressively you're fine. Driving in NYC scares the shit out of me.

NYC used to scare the shit outta me for sure! After driving there a lot for 5 years I've learned the rules for NYC driving.

Lines mean nothing (EXCEPT dont block the box)

Speed limits? Speed limit is keep up

Pedestrians/bikes/etc WILL jump in front of your car

Watch out for those damned taxi drivers. Most of the time I am convinced they are hammer drunk

Generally the more aggressive you drive, the safer you are. If you show weakness you'll never get anywhere and people will cut you off.

I generally like driving in NYC, outside of rush hour it really isnt all that bad

• 1 year later...

I've been informed by family members that I am less likely to find someone to marry if I keep getting tattoos. There's so much I could say to this, but I don't. Ignorance begets ignorance.

And when plain-skinned men want to check out my work, they have this thing where they try to hold my arm or touch my leg as they inspect it. No, no touchy, just looky.

NYC used to scare the shit outta me for sure! After driving there a lot for 5 years I've learned the rules for NYC driving.

Lines mean nothing (EXCEPT dont block the box)

Speed limits? Speed limit is keep up

Pedestrians/bikes/etc WILL jump in front of your car

Watch out for those damned taxi drivers. Most of the time I am convinced they are hammer drunk

Generally the more aggressive you drive, the safer you are. If you show weakness you'll never get anywhere and people will cut you off.

I generally like driving in NYC, outside of rush hour it really isnt all that bad

Problem is rush hour lasts more than an hour. In some cases many hours. Plus the location of the traffic changes depending on time and season. The traffic problem affects the whole metro area.

Sometimes there is no way to avoid the traffic. You either sit in the traffic or wait it out at a movie theater or restaurant.

I've been informed by family members that I am less likely to find someone to marry if I keep getting tattoos. There's so much I could say to this, but I don't. Ignorance begets ignorance.

And when plain-skinned men want to check out my work, they have this thing where they try to hold my arm or touch my leg as they inspect it. No, no touchy, just looky.

I thought about this, and decided I wouldn't want a relationship with anybody shallow enough to judge somebody by their tattoos alone. It's a useful filter to weed out people with incompatible values.

I thought about this, and decided I wouldn't want a relationship with anybody shallow enough to judge somebody by their tattoos alone. It's a useful filter to weed out people with incompatible values.

That's precisely it. A result of their one dimensional thinking suggests there's only two type of people out there: me, and people who wont like me due to having ink. That the only people available for me to be interested in will never be interested in me. Ridiculous.

I wonder if men hear the same thing.

That's precisely it. A result of their one dimensional thinking suggests there's only two type of people out there: me, and people who wont like me due to having ink. That the only people available for me to be interested in will never be interested in me. Ridiculous.

I wonder if men hear the same thing.

I doubt it, there seems to be a bit of a double standard going on. It's assumed that every decision a woman makes about the way she looks needs to be made for the approval of men, but the same standard isn't applied to men. Also, according to this women find tattoos less of a "turn-off" than men do, probably because tattoos are generally considered masculine. Tattoos on women are mens biggest turn-off ? women don't like beards - Odd News | newslite.tv

These are my findings:

Doing what you want to is cool and never a turn-off for the right person.

I surveyed 1 person for this poll. 1 out of 1 agreed. The beardo in the other room would probably agree w/me too though. So let's just say 100% of the tattooed women and bearded men in this house were on board.

:cool:

These are my findings:

Doing what you want to is cool and never a turn-off for the right person.

I surveyed 1 person for this poll. 1 out of 1 agreed. The beardo in the other room would probably agree w/me to though. So let's just say 100% of the tattooed women and bearded men in this house were on board.

:cool:

I have peer reviewed this study and I agree with all findings