Evaluating tattos online, good picture, good tattoo ? Both ?

scubaron

New to tattoos. Maybe it's because I am new, but so many tattoos I see online look great.

Is it the quality of picture, the newness of the tattoo, both ? Is it because I don't know what is easy vs. difficult ?

Below is a tattoo that looks like a real object and not a tattoo. Looks like I could reach out and touch the object opposed to a tattoo on someone's arm.

tumblr_lzwj194sO61r06hyzo1_500.jpg

Are realism tattoos very difficult or just another style ?

It seems when looking at tattoos online, on Instagram, etc almost everything you see there is brand new. The one you posted was finished just before they took the photo. A healed tattoo looks different from a fresh one for sure. It's not like the tattoo artist is trying to misrepresent their work, it's simply the most convenient time to take the photo.

There's also something to be said for the fact that, with access to tattooers' portfolios from all over the planet, you can view the work of the best tattoo artists in the world right from your computer, and those are the images most often shared and linked all over place (and therefore rank really high in google's search results). You're much more likely to see a top-tier tattoo on google than you are on the people you encounter in person on a daily basis.

Just to add to the above post, while fresh tattoos are the most convenient to get pictures of from the artists, I have noticed that many tattooers take and post healed pictures whenever they can. I would imagine it can be difficult for top tier artists to get healed pic because of their scheduling and availability, wait times etc.

Personally all my work has come from the same artist and each time I go in, he always takes healed pics of the last piece. High demand artists don't always have that luxury.

Tattooing and photography are totally different skills. The most powerful tattoos can't be adequately photographed because magic is resistant to photography.

I didn't want to post on here because I thought someone else (like @Graeme) would have a more eloquent, meaningful answer that would address the question and point out its flaw... but this^ is WAY better.

Tattooing and photography are totally different skills. The most powerful tattoos can't be adequately photographed because magic is resistant to photography.

haha yes this !! Its near impossible to get a photo of a tattoo to look as good as the real tattoo you see with eyes. Beware of filters and layers lol

- - - Updated - - -

Plus I like to see photos of the tattoo sitting on the person not some super cropped just a tattoo type photo , I like to appreciate placement as its all part of the thing

- - - Updated - - -

aaand that tattoo picture posted looks llike a shitey wee sticker/stamp thing , I like realism but that one looks pointless needs to be biig , that just looks silly. (although well executed)

Realism is just a style, not a difficulty. Some artists can't do it at all, and some realistic specializing artists can't draw and can only reproduce a reference.

Good point. Ability to draw, to copy, to tattoo, to create unique original designs, to do various styles. Must be a very gifted person to be able to do it all.

I chose that particular tattoo photo for this thread because it looks like a well done tattoo for it's style, photographed well. This came from the portfolio of an artist I selected to do a piece for me. My tattoo will be nothing like this at all other than the I want the subject realistic.

This came from the portfolio of an artist I selected to do a piece for me. My tattoo will be nothing like this at all other than the I want the subject realistic.

Since that particular tattoo doesn't appear to be of photographic quality (it's still a well-done tattoo, mind you) I'd be curious to see more of his portfolio.