N00b collector

Bexter

Hello!

New to both to this forum and to Tattoos.

I've wanted a tattoo since I was 14. Various things have got in the way, but it's never left my thoughts. Now I'm nearly 30 and am 5 weeks away from my first, large arm tattoo. Booked in for 10 hours over two sessions, and so excited. Curious about my own pain threshold. I like to think I'm hard, but we'll find out after nearly 5 hours.

I already have plans for my next. I'm very lucky to work in a creative environment that's very acceptable of tattoos. I've always had a love for design and illustration and also the human body as an artform.

Just at the stage of pulling together over 10 years worth of references and ideas and deciding what is actually going to work and where and what themes. Cool that my main concepts of what I want have stayed the same the whole time, so I know I've chosen the right things. Just not an artist myself, so interested to get advice on placement, flow, colour and themes and also, what works as a tattoo.

I trust my tattooist to do a great job whatever so I'm hoping she can help. I'm a fan of everything she's done.

Looking forward to getting involved with the community.

Bexter

Welcome to LST. You must be so excited! Who's doing your tattoo?

Thanks for the welcome! It seems like a really respectful and friendly forum.

Olivia Chell of Sacred Art in the UK is my artist. I haven't even had the chance to speak to her yet, they said to come a week before the appointment. The guy on reception has passed on what we initially spoke about and she said she's really excited. Even asked if I could come in earlier when she had a cancellation, but I couldn't get the time off work.

I just hope she doesn't think my ideas are pants! I want to make sure she understands that although I have my own ideas, I'm flexible and completely trust her opinion and talent.

5 weeks feels like FOREVER!

Ha' date=' know what you mean about 5 weeks feeling like forever. I know everyone's pain threshold is a little different but I wouldn't worry too much about the arms. Based on my own experience and what I've heard, it's not bad at all. What images are you getting?[/quote']

Agreed, while there are some touchy spots on the arm, having done nearly my complete left arm it's all tolerable.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm looking to get tropical flowers and foliage.

But I really like Olivia's Japanese stuff. Just not sure if those two themes would work. But I've seen Japanese tattoos with ferns and frangipani and that's what I want really.

Don't take the piss but I also really want a unicorn pegasus and a bee. This is where I think people have drawn the line and told me I have confused themes. Think I'm resigned to looking at getting them elsewhere but still want to run it past Liv.

Awesome! I'm really excited to meet her. Nice to meet another Manchester resident here. Any UK artists you would recommend? Firth Street seems popular. Would you say it's worth going to that Manchester tattoo convention in August?

Yeah there's loads of great talent in the UK - Frith Street is a fantastic studio, I've been tattooed there before and definitely will get tattooed there again, also Rain City in Manchester is a really good studio, Danny Rossiter especially, he's a great artist and a great guy! I'm a big fan of Claudia DeSabe at Black Garden in London, as well as Cassandra Frances who just joined their team. Also Alex Reinke (Horikitsune) in London is another amazing artist. Sneaky Mitch at Dock Street studio in Leeds is also great, Sacred Electric in Leeds is a great studio too. These are just people and studios that I really like, but there's a lot of talent around in other styles too - Bez at Triplesix in Sunderland, Oddboy at Real Art, Nigel Kurt, Paul Naylor, Phatt German, not my thing but undeniably brilliant artists! There's loads I'm missing out, but should give you a good start!

The August Manchester convention has been absolutely pants the last couple of years, its a shame, it used to be quite good! I would recommend the "Tattoo tea party" convention in March next month, it was good fun last year, hopefully it will be the same this time! The Sacred Art guys will be there, and Olivia will be working the Sunday definitely, and maybe the Saturday too.

Yeah there's loads of great talent in the UK - Frith Street is a fantastic studio, I've been tattooed there before and definitely will get tattooed there again, also Rain City in Manchester is a really good studio, Danny Rossiter especially, he's a great artist and a great guy! I'm a big fan of Claudia DeSabe at Black Garden in London, as well as Cassandra Francis who just joined their team. Also Alex Reinke (Horikitsune) in London is another amazing artist. Sneaky Mitch at Dock Street studio in Leeds is also great, Sacred Electric in Leeds is a great studio too. These are just people and studios that I really like, but there's a lot of talent around in other styles too - Bez at Triplesix in Sunderland, Oddboy at Real Art, Nigel Kurt, Paul Naylor, Phatt German, not my thing but undeniably brilliant artists! There's loads I'm missing out, but should give you a good start!

The August Manchester convention has been absolutely pants the last couple of years, its a shame, it used to be quite good! I would recommend the "Tattoo tea party" convention in March next month, it was good fun last year, hopefully it will be the same this time! The Sacred Art guys will be there, and Olivia will be working the Sunday definitely, and maybe the Saturday too.

WOW, great tips. Thanks a lot. I've heard a lot about Danny Rossiter, might have to check him out. Claudia's work is gorgeous too, as is Sneaky Mitch's.. hell, they're all amazing. Just added to my Instagram following.

Should be at the Tattoo Tea Party on the Sunday, managed to find a buddy who wants to come with.

Ack. I can't believe it's still 5 weeks away.

- - - Updated - - -

I was a student in Manchester, many years ago. It's a great city, I was sad to leave.

Your artist looks like she does amazing stuff! Really beautiful. I look forward to seeing your arm, please do post a picture and let us know how it all goes.

Aw yeah, I came for uni and I think I'm trapped here now. Lived in the centre for a good long time, and felt like I never travelled more than 1 mile in any direction because everything I needed or wanted was just on my doorstep. Moved to the suburbs recently to try and make me explore more/ save money! It would take a lot to make me leave.

Glad you like Olivia's work. I kind of fell in love with it straight away after being recommended by a friend. I'll post a picture as soon as I've got it! I can't cope waiting so long. Now I've got it booked I'm so restless to get it done.

Patience was never one of my strong points.

Well it is exciting! I'm not sure I'd be very patient either. Are you hoping to get all your ideas into one tattoo or split it into 2? Or just go with what your artist suggests?

I lived right by Canal Street for a bit, then Fallowfield then Withington. I'm not sure I ever went further afield than Didsbury, for the same reasons you say. I only ever really went to student nights, Jillys or Fab Cafe anyway! We've got friends who have moved out to more family friendly areas and who still love it.

Well it is exciting! I'm not sure I'd be very patient either. Are you hoping to get all your ideas into one tattoo or split it into 2? Or just go with what your artist suggests?

I lived right by Canal Street for a bit, then Fallowfield then Withington. I'm not sure I ever went further afield than Didsbury, for the same reasons you say. I only ever really went to student nights, Jillys or Fab Cafe anyway! We've got friends who have moved out to more family friendly areas and who still love it.

Aw, I was gutted when they turned Jillys into a Tesco :(

I think I'm going to see what my artist reckons. I already know I want a shoulder piece on my left arm, so would be happy to split.

I would love to see a fucking unicorn pegasus in a traditional Japanese style tattoo! That would be some hot shit!!

This has made my day. Now I really want to make this work! I have researched it and there are unicorns in Japanese culture, just hard to get any more details than that. There's obviously the kirin, but that's just not quite what I was going for.

YEY! Got a cancellation! My artist is actually moving cities in the summer, so she's trying to fit everyone local in that was already booked in or has unfinished work before she leaves. 1.5 weeks baby! They've given me a full day appointment in March too to make sure it's finished. I'm going to go and see her with my references for the first time early next week.

Now I'm having reference panic and what if she hates my ideas anxiety.

Good luck! Am in the same boat (waiting for my appointment, mine's with the supertalented Mr Rossiter - can't wait for March!). I must say Olivia does some beautiful work and I love Sneaky Mitch's stuff - he draws some pretty amazing animals...! :)

xccx

Yeah, Sneaky Mitch is great. As is the Mr Rossiter.

How long is time?! Jeez.

I've not even spoken to Olivia yet. Got to the stage where I don't even care what she does on me, everything I see of hers is awesome.

7 sleeps!

Yeah, Sneaky Mitch is great. As is the Mr Rossiter.

How long is time?! Jeez.

I've not even spoken to Olivia yet. Got to the stage where I don't even care what she does on me, everything I see of hers is awesome.

7 sleeps!

I know Bexter, time is exceptionally slow to those who wait! Please do put photos up when you're done - I shall do the same! It's my first tattoo too (and I'm 32) so it is all a very new experience for me. Exciting stuff! :-)

xccx