Tattoo Survey

charrystars

My name is Charlotte and I am currently completing my University dissertation on tattoos. I would really appreciate it if people could do this quick survey for me to help my project.

Here is the link - https://plymouthbusiness.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_2iB5ljUBnoix4YR

Thank you everyone!! :) :)

Read these threads: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/initiation/3459-hi.html http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/initiation/3468-apology-my-tattoo-study-thread.html If you're going to come here and ask for something but not contribute anything you're in the wrong place.
Yeah I didn't join this forum to do surveys. However' date=' if you have some tattoo stories or pictures, I'm interested in those.[/quote']

While I agree and won't bother with the survey, this is exactly while official statistics and peoples writings are so off base about tattoos, because people involved collectors and tattooers do not participate, which is fine but it's hypocritical to later discredit these surveys when they are wrong and we aren't/weren't willing to participate.

I took the survey, out of consideration of what @deadsp0t said. That said, the survey was far lacking in it's ability to gather information from anyone who isn't getting tattooed for the Google/Pinterest flash reasons. I left a comment in the final page informing Charlotte as such, in what I felt were blunt, yet polite terms. I mainly did this so she would see it, because there's a good chance she won't be part of the discourse here beyond one or two posts.

"Try to go out into the world of tattoos. Go to tattoo shops and learn a bit. Perhaps, even get tattooed a few times as part of your research. Anthropologists should immerse themselves in a culture to learn about it, right? I encourage you to do the same."

(not all of what I said, but a short selection that summed it up)

I took the survey' date=' out of consideration of what @deadsp0t said. That said, the survey was far lacking in it's ability to gather information from anyone who isn't getting tattooed for the Google/Pinterest flash reasons. I left a comment in the final page informing Charlotte as such, in what I felt were blunt, yet polite terms. I mainly did this so she would see it, because there's a good chance she won't be part of the discourse here beyond one or two posts. "Try to go out into the world of tattoos. Go to tattoo shops and learn a bit. Perhaps, even get tattooed a few times as part of your research. Anthropologists should immerse themselves in a culture to learn about it, right? I encourage you to do the same." (not all of what I said, but a short selection that summed it up)[/quote']

You may inspire me to do the same, I totally agree with trying to blend with the natives before trying to study them, not just in joining a forum and contributing but like you mentioned. Actually hit the streets and visiting shops will yield the best results by far. While we are just another forum <insert topic>, I've learned in my short time her that the difference here is that generally you are going to get real advice and real opinions For experienced people

While I agree and won't bother with the survey, this is exactly while official statistics and peoples writings are so off base about tattoos, because people involved collectors and tattooers do not participate, which is fine but it's hypocritical to later discredit these surveys when they are wrong and we aren't/weren't willing to participate.

Nobody is entitled to have anybody participate in their research. If this poster was an active and contributing member to this forum, was getting tattoos, had experience, photos, and stories to share, then posted that she was taking this course and wanted to do this particular assignment about tattoos and could we help her by doing this survey, then maybe I'd be willing to help. Doing what she did, however, by coming here and asking us to take a survey with no indication of who she is, what her research question is, what her interest or involvement in tattoos is...what does she expect? If she ends up with shitty research because she doesn't understand what she's trying to study and how to approach it, that's on her, not on me or anybody else here for not participating.

I'm leaning towards agreeing but not 100%, by that same logic, if her research was on STDs would one suggest that she go whore around until she got first hand experience with one or more? Certainly not.

Example our thread here about plain skins and the things they say. I'm of the belief that they say the things they do because they are truly ignorant to the culture of tattoos making/collecting and our stand-offish nature in general. Which this is another example of.

While I believe my statements above, I also believe it's ones right or choice to discuss tattoos with whomever they choose and that the gap between tattooed ppl and non tattooed exists because ppl fear what they do not understand.

After only skimming over the original inquiry, a lot if this information could be gathered without ever making a post here by simply reading. Making the post and asking for specific answers is a much better approach then just coming here and poaching information without inquiring. Having not found cooperation from the best tattoo site around, I can imagine the amount of misrepresentation to follow. I personally am not bothered by how I am perceived but having gotten to a lot of you guys from your posts, I know there some who do care.

Do it or don't, makes me no difference at all, but we are being offered an opportunity to change the skew of opinions when these things come our way. Just my thoughts, going leave them here and move on.

*disclaimer, I have no idea the validity of this particular survey, I'm speaking in general terms.

@deadsp0t and @Graeme you both make valid arguments. However, when I clicked the link, this student states that she is an undergraduate Junior. This is not a dissertation, this is some bullshit project probably for an Intro Psych class. At least, that's all I can gather from the severe lack of information. I also did click through the survey, but not submit my answers to see if it is statistically sound (It's not). Give me a survey with a foundation in real research when you're in a PhD program doing a real dissertation, and then maybe I'll participate. ALSO, if you are doing a dissertation or thesis or something for Grad school, then you SHOULD go out and interview tattooers/collectors. You should immerse yourself wholly in the topic, so that you can create an informed measurement of the culture and perceptions of tattoos. To me, I equate it to not studying the brain (it's structure, physiology, etc.), but going ahead and conducting cognitive tests on subjects anyway.

I did it, but the qualitative questions were so shallow I doubt they will provide any true value to her research. I think to post like this on an issue as personal as tattoos is pretty callous. Hopefully she can draw something out of this research other than "people think tattoos are bad", which is what it seems to be biased towards. Maybe I'm just taking it too personally.

What boggles my mind is that this survey is for a dissertation AKA a doctoral degree level paper. I would hope that our university system has better research habits and Ph.D. cadidates.

In UK universities, "dissertation" doesn't specifically refer to the doctoral level. You can do a dissertation as an undergraduate, it's basically just a major research paper. Which still doesn't excuse shoddy, poorly carried out research.

After thinking a little about this I think it'd be hard for someone so far removed from tattooing in general to even have a realistic idea of which questions to even ask to appease both tattooed and un-tattooed people.

I'm starting to lean toward the majority here and say the approach is far off base. That being said, a better approach may have been to come here and ask how such a survey should be conducted.

While this is a better approach IMO, like stated already, approaching actual artists and tattooers face to face would be far better.

Just a little food for thought.. The answers/responses here may very well be used in such a survey. A more thought out plan may be in use.

Eh, I took it. I'm going out on a limb that Charlotte does not have tattoos nor know any tattooed people. I don't know how a person could get a whole paper out of that survey. "Do you like your tattoos" Yes. "Why" They're pretty. "Will you get more tattoos" Yes. "Why" I like them.

No matter-I like surveys and quizzes. This is how I found out I am a Corgi. And I'm Leonard Hofstadter. I'm an Autumn, and Idealistic Healer.

In UK universities' date=' "dissertation" doesn't specifically refer to the doctoral level. You can do a dissertation as an undergraduate, it's basically just a major research paper. Which still doesn't excuse shoddy, poorly carried out research.[/quote']

Well, that makes much more sense, but as you said, still inexcusable.