nina

re-introducing myself with a new idea

Hello! So this is my second intro post, but ive taken my original idea and reworked it, Just would like some feedback. Basically, the body drawings are rough sketches, of course the feathers would be done better and the little girl would look more like the one in the pic with the long quote. The quote ive shortened to "happiness is not the absence of struggle". There's a ton of meaning behind every inch of this design and I could explain it, but really im just looking for feedback on the tattoo aesthetically. Im planning on keeping it all black ink, but if you think colour would look nice somewhere, let me know! This will be my first tattoo so all the feedback is appreciated greatly. Keep in mind these are rough sketches and my artist (who I met today!! :D ) will be drawing it out more nicely. Im likely going to have to break it up into pieces and do it over the course of the year because of cost, opposed to squeezing it into a month or two. As far as pricing goes, what do you guys think? I just want to get a few more quotes before I commit to this shop. Thanks a million!

cant get photos to upload on post.. check out my gallery :)

Here's my opinion:

1) It's been stated pretty explicitly that cost is not something to be discussed publicly here. If you're unsure, check out some other shops in your area and get a feel for what the hourly rates are.

2) Take the quote out: it's on the middle of your back (if I'm interpreting your sketch correctly) which you WILL regret later if you get into the whole tattoo-thing long term. That is prime real-estate. Also, the images you've chosen probably represent what you are trying to say anyway and the words will ultimately fall-flat in time (my opinion).

For what it's worth, I agree with the author of this article regarding text on the body (you might not!):

The Letter of the Law: Laws for Lettering and Tattoos | Occult Vibrations

2) I think both of the images could be stronger if placed elsewhere. I would put one on each upper arm. I think the kite-girl could be really cool in the right artist's hands, but I don't think the image is big enough to be a side-piece. Again, that's prime real-estate if you decide to get something larger in the long term.

3) Instead of feathers, why not something like a phoenix or bird-of-paradise or peacock? I think those animals tend to make for a stronger image.

Good luck!

What these guys said. Getting tattooed is meaninful in itself, there's no need to force meaning onto a tattoo. Usually it just means that the strength of the tattoo is compromised for the sake of meaning. Don't get hung up on your idea. A good tattoo has everything to do with the skill and experience of the artist you go to. He or she will be able to design you something that's going to look good, that's going to fit well on your body and will age gracefully with it. The best idea in the world will never make up for poor tattooing. Money isn't important. This is on you for life, go to the best person you can. Pick up extra shifts at work or sell things if you have to. It will be worth it.

I think the best course of action is to either keep the entire quote (which I STRONGLY advise you don't do) or no quote at all. Yes, shortening the paragraph is a better choice, but the first line of the quote does not represent the whole meaning. You will feel better with an image that conveys the entire thought than a block of text or half of the meaning.

Also, I've noticed in recent years a lot of women think their tattoos need to be light and feminine and wrap around the body. That's fine if that's what you want, but it feels like the whole placement and airy quality is a trend right now. Big bold pieces still look stunning on women. And any tattoo that is placed well (that means not where you put it but how your artist designs it for the area you choose) will highlight the curves and assets of a woman's (or man's) body. When @9Years talks about real-estate, he means it. You have to treat open spaces like real estate if you plan on getting a lot of tattoos. You don't want to build little shacks all over a lot and then decide you want to build a mansion over them.

And quotes are only provided by artists and shops. Go there. Where are you located? Perhaps someone can direct you to a decent shop.

What these guys said. Getting tattooed is meaninful in itself, there's no need to force meaning onto a tattoo. Usually it just means that the strength of the tattoo is compromised for the sake of meaning. Don't get hung up on your idea. A good tattoo has everything to do with the skill and experience of the artist you go to. He or she will be able to design you something that's going to look good, that's going to fit well on your body and will age gracefully with it. The best idea in the world will never make up for poor tattooing. Money isn't important. This is on you for life, go to the best person you can. Pick up extra shifts at work or sell things if you have to. It will be worth it.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I remember being in the mindset that tattoos had to have deep personal meanings attached to them or they weren't "good tattoos." I'm so glad that I didn't get any tattoos in that period of my life because the ideas I had were not good and I would've used up the limited amount of skin I have. It may seem like you have a lot of room now, but trust me, now that I've got all these ideas, all that open area is looking less and less infinite. Choose wisely. And I agree with @HaydenRose, lose the quote and find or draw an image that conveys the meaning of the quote.

I hope I'm stating the obvious, but you misspelled "absence" in your drawings!

It's probably a good idea to run any word you want to inject into your skin through a spell check first. And then decide against a lettering backpiece.

Looks like you're in the stage that comes after the "I think I want a tattoo" phase: "Now need to find something with meaning". Obviously, words have the most accessible meanings.

Wait till you're over that, and then let someone draw something beautiful for you. How it looks is what matters.