Recurring pain in healed tattoos

mtlsam

Hi all,

I'm asking a question on behalf of my girlfriend. She has several tattoos from the same artist, done in a heavy black style. No shading, just skin and black, you know what I'm talking about.

The last of these was completed in late October, and they all healed nicely. My question lies in the fact that when she scratches them, they, unlike her other tattoos, hurt. She describes the pain as starting a few seconds after the contact and being rather sharp. Has anybody else experienced this? Is it an ink reaction, slower internal healing due to the heavy black?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Sam

I have experienced some of this before. My thoughts are that it's probably scar tissue which has not fully settled in/healed up. A lot of bolder work can create scarring even if it's a really clean tattoo and it doesn't necessarily look off or out of place. Peoples' skin scars differently and heals at different rates, and I've had some tattoos that took several months to fully settle into the skin even after the scabbing and peeling is over.

Anyway, that's my guess given some of what I've noticed with healing my tattoos. It might not necessarily be what's up with hers, but if it is, it'll probably go away within a few more months.

• 4 years later...

Mtlsam, I know its been a couple years since this posting but any chance you found out what this was? Im currently experiencing this. Same sensation as described but in only one line of the tattoo it is a finger tattoo and raised but as I said only in one line of the tattoo. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Mtlsam, I know its been a couple years since this posting but any chance you found out what this was? Im currently experiencing this. Same sensation as described but in only one line of the tattoo it is a finger tattoo and raised but as I said only in one line of the tattoo. Any thoughts would be appreciated

• 2 years later...

I am experiencing pain almost a year later from my first tattoo. Heavy black lines.  It has the feeling of pressure on a bruise that is still tender but the pain is deep, not on the surface of the skin. I also feel like a cold is coming on, so I do wonder if it is part of an immune response, or if there was some nerve damage, or both.

On 9/30/2021 at 1:36 PM, k1234 said:

I am experiencing pain almost a year later from my first tattoo. Heavy black lines.  It has the feeling of pressure on a bruise that is still tender but the pain is deep, not on the surface of the skin. I also feel like a cold is coming on, so I do wonder if it is part of an immune response, or if there was some nerve damage, or both.

Pics? That’s definitely not normal.

• 6 months later...

I experience this same pain after like a year of my tattoo. All black ink too. Is like deep and sharp and just last a few seconds

Im kinda worried that this is like a non complete healin... But the appearance of the tattoo is just normal, no itchy no redness no swollen. Just ocasional pain in the area of it...