LST Bluegrass/Indie/Alternative/Folk Thread

Brock Varty

Hey dudes!

I have been really into folky, bluegrass type music lately. I know we have some big fans of that here. I am always looking for bands and performers that other people like so I thought a thread for this type of music would be cool. I am going to post some of my current favorites and then you all can post away! Cheers!

The Punch Brothers

The Wood Brothers

Two Gallants

Bright Eyes

Of Monsters and Men

Oberhofer

The Avett Brothers

Old Crow Medicine Show

The Devil Makes Three

Pretty broad range of musical flavor; but I figured it is enough content for a cool thread!

Be gentle with the banhammer for musical opinions guys!

So long as none of that "new-grass" gets posted.

Blanche

Slim Cessna's Auto Club (see them live if you ever have the chance...for real.)

16 horsepower

Wovenhand

Danny Barnes (one of the best banjo players ever)

He was also in a band called Bad Livers

Steve Earle

Bruce Springsteen's nebraska and ghost of tom joad.

Whiskeytown

Tarnation

Will Johnson

Jason Isbell

Uncle Tupelo

Gillian Welch

Neko Case

Pine Valley Cosmonauts

Giant Sand

Calexico

These are all real bluegrass:

Hylo Brown (sang for flatt and scruggs)

Reno and Smiley

The Osborne Brothers

Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper

Roscoe Holcomb

Jimmy Martin

Doc Watson (not technically bluegrass but mountain music).

Jim and Jennie and the Pinetops

I've got loads more but....

Hey dudes!

I have been really into folky, bluegrass type music lately. I know we have some big fans of that here. I am always looking for bands and performers that other people like so I thought a thread for this type of music would be cool. I am going to post some of my current favorites and then you all can post away! Cheers!

The Punch Brothers

Be gentle with the banhammer for musical opinions guys!

I've gotten to see a lot of the various Punch Brothers recently--Chris Thile made a stop here during his solo tour in October, and I caught Noam Pikelny when I was in Brooklyn, then the Punch Brothers around New Years. I'll probably go to their show at Oberlin in a month, too. The Chris Thile show in particular was a treat--whenever I want to feel like a lazy asshole, I google what he was doing. When he was say, eight.

I don't have the banhammer but lumping bluegrass and folk together with indie and alternative makes me want to pulp your balls with a hammer.

Hahaha. Point taken. Title could have been a bit better. It was emant to infer Bluegrass/Folk in their various forms.

- - - Updated - - -

Post of the year. Also, Two Gallants for the win @Brock Varty. I was lucky enough to see them at gilman a few times.. what a show.

Really Really enjoy these guys right now man. Such good stuff. I would love to see them live, but they don't seem to play in my parts ever.

- - - Updated - - -

I've gotten to see a lot of the various Punch Brothers recently--Chris Thile made a stop here during his solo tour in October, and I caught Noam Pikelny when I was in Brooklyn, then the Punch Brothers around New Years. I'll probably go to their show at Oberlin in a month, too. The Chris Thile show in particular was a treat--whenever I want to feel like a lazy asshole, I google what he was doing. When he was say, eight.

I enjoy the Punch Brothers almost only for Chris Thile. Dude can play a motherfucking mandolin like nobody's business!

- - - Updated - - -

So long as none of that "new-grass" gets posted.

Blanche

Slim Cessna's Auto Club (see them live if you ever have the chance...for real.)

16 horsepower

Wovenhand

Danny Barnes (one of the best banjo players ever)

He was also in a band called Bad Livers

Steve Earle

Bruce Springsteen's nebraska and ghost of tom joad.

Whiskeytown

Tarnation

Will Johnson

Jason Isbell

Uncle Tupelo

Gillian Welch

Neko Case

Pine Valley Cosmonauts

Giant Sand

Calexico

These are all real bluegrass:

Hylo Brown (sang for flatt and scruggs)

Reno and Smiley

The Osborne Brothers

Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper

Roscoe Holcomb

Jimmy Martin

Doc Watson (not technically bluegrass but mountain music).

Jim and Jennie and the Pinetops

I've got loads more but....

I am familiar with the acts I bolded, but none of the others! So much new music to listen to. Thanks for the recommendations.

This is the kind of music I'm currently into as well. So many artists on here that I'm not familiar with though - I've got a lot of listening to do!

Oddly, I've been listening to the New of Monsters and Men album a lot this week, and also just discovered Townes Van Zandt. Then this thread appears a day later. It's the kind of thing that makes me think there's a glitch in the matrix.

Some that aren't mentioned that I like:

The Tallest Man on Earth

Iron and Wine

The Decemberists

I've always been into jambands with big bluegrass backgrounds a la String Cheese Incident and Railroad Earth. I'll come back with more examples at some point and check out what everyone else is into.

Cheese has gone in many other directions through the years though so don't be surprised if you hear something that doesn't quite fit in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...
I saw Robert Fisher play solo more years ago than I care to think about because it makes me feel old (I would guess around 2005?) and he has one hell of a voice. Really good performer and a nice guy from what I recall.

I got a sampler that came with an uncut magazine I think. It had a track and I always liked it and would put it on mix tapes/cds/playlists and several years ago that song started to really stick in my head more than before. Find myself humming the tune or get part of the lyrics stuck in my head so I started trying to track down more stuff. If it weren't for the internet, probably wouldn't have found anything since no stores I've been in have carried any.

• 1 month later...