Telling My Parents

Jnvlv

I'm 19 years old and still live with them, but I work and will be using my personal money to do it, I think this is important, not because it's a tattoo, but because it's not an essencial thing, I think using their money would be the same as spending a lot of their money with chocolate, or games, or movies, or anything that's not essential and will affect only myself.

Please. Nothing to do with your parents or any of that. Don't get a tattoo unless it is essential.

Extremely important and necessary, of the utmost importance. How would you define it? Tattoos are not a fashion accessory to be changed with your outfit, or a "statement" (although they may certainly make a statement).

I was speaking in a literal way. Food is essential, pay bills and study to get a job is essential to live in a house. It does not matter how bad you want, how meaningful it is, a tattoo is a visual thing, the difference being is that it will be with you the rest of your life, but not having a tattoo you want makes you sad maybe angry, not having food or a good job to maintain the house is a whole other thing.

We took different meanings in our posts.

• 3 weeks later...
I was speaking in a literal way. Food is essential, pay bills and study to get a job is essential to live in a house. It does not matter how bad you want, how meaningful it is, a tattoo is a visual thing, the difference being is that it will be with you the rest of your life, but not having a tattoo you want makes you sad maybe angry, not having food or a good job to maintain the house is a whole other thing.

We took different meanings in our posts.

I sort of see what is going on here. I tell my kids that they get their tattoos with their own money, as long as they're not hitting me up for car repairs or "loans", I'm okay with it. Just go to a good shop and use common sense for placement. I'm probably over-indulgent with both of my kids, but try to have them see that tattoos are a luxury and not a necessity.

I sort of see what is going on here. I tell my kids that they get their tattoos with their own money, as long as they're not hitting me up for car repairs or "loans", I'm okay with it. Just go to a good shop and use common sense for placement. I'm probably over-indulgent with both of my kids, but try to have them see that tattoos are a luxury and not a necessity.

That's exactly what I meant.

It started out that way for me, too. My parents have 0 tattoos, and my grandfather had his forearm tattoos removed, which he acquired in Hawaii in the early 60's. After getting several "nice" tattoos, my parents were supportive, and understood that I took the hobby of collecting seriously, and it meant a great deal to me. Now, my Mom loves several of my friends that tattoo for a living, and has even commissioned one of them for a painting to hang at her home. I hope your folks end up like mine did.

My mom flipped out when she saw my back tattooed....I was 15 and still in an all girl Catholic school. She was very upset. Lol

However, my father never saw my tattoos before he died. I was actually withholding that info from him because I know he will say, "you need tattoos like you need a hole in your head".

I am the only one in my religious family that has tattoos. My family is traditional and rather narrow minded, but they got used to it after a few years. My auntie was ok with the tattoos but asked me not to get any tattoos on the thighs. Lol I guess she thinks that is tacky for women; I didn't really get into it with her.

It is my body and my life, I try to have "tasteful work" done so at least they can say it is pretty. :rolleyes:

I see so many posts here about religious parents.Dont assume they all hate tattoos.I am a religious parent.I have three kids' date='I teach an adult Bible study class,and I have many tattoos.There are worse things than being tattooed.Jesus still loves us all.[/quote']

I agree. I'm a tattooed parent that regularly attends, does ministry work, and is a faithful believer. Our minister's wife is getting more ink today. I'm sure there are many believers that dislike tattoos, just as there are many non-believers that dislike them. I'd guess 50% of our congregation has ink. And, this is Bible-belt Southern USA. Jesus was never recorded saying anything against tattoos. Even Paul, whose doctrine seems to bother folks the most, didn't talk about it. There is one Levitical warning not to cut yourself or be tattooed for the dead. Because that was a form of worshiping the dead that was popular in that area and time.

A coworker made me think of this thread this morning. She was at a friends house last night and their daughter is in college. The friends were talking to my coworker about their daughter wanting a very small tattoo, and they told her if she did, they would stop paying for her college immediately. They asked my coworker to find out if she'd gotten one and was hiding it from them. She said no, she doesn't have one. They went on and on about how they don't approve of tattoos etc etc..my coworker got on FB and showed them my pictures from the work I'd had done last night. That stopped them dead in their tracks hahahahaha-"Oh. Well. I guess what she wanted isn't such a big deal in the grand scheme of things" My coworker said "THIS is a tattoo" hahaha

I see so many posts here about religious parents.Dont assume they all hate tattoos.I am a religious parent.I have three kids,I teach an adult Bible study class,and I have many tattoos.There are worse things than being tattooed.Jesus still loves us all.

Yes, my brother is a missionary and also teaches things in the church, and both him and his wife have a lot of tattoos, and he learned how to tattoo people and work with this as a freelance in some studios of his friends.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe try telling someone who she's close with who will also like your tattoos. That way, once your mom finds out, they can maybe calm her down a little or talk some sense into her. That's what I did and it seemed to work. Eventually, they just get used to it because ultimately, you are her daughter and she will accept you!

• 4 weeks later...

This is one major reason why I haven't gotten one yet and I am still a little scared of how they will react even though I have decided to go ahead with it and I am 31! My parents are religious and believe that we shouldn't mess with what god gave us. It is actually effecting my choice of where to get it. I originally wanted it on the back of my neck but there is no hiding that. Now I think I might get it on the side of my torso. I don't intend to ever tell my parents if I can help it. I know they will be extremely disappointed.

• 1 month later...
If tattoos are the only thing your parents have to worry about then they are knitpicking. Not a big deal

you're off to a bangin start jr

making all these quick senseless posts

cant wait to see whats next

slow it down

make a post when you got something purposeful to add

- - - Updated - - -

If tattoos are the only thing your parents have to worry about then they are knitpicking. Not a big deal

you're off to a bangin start jr

making all these quick senseless posts

cant wait to see whats next

slow it down

make a post when you got something purposeful to add

• 1 month later...

I hid my second tattoo from my mom for months because I knew she wouldn't approve. I was visiting my family for about 10 days, staying in my sister's room with her, and managed to keep it a secret...then my mom was visiting me, and I just had a bra on, no shirt because I was changing for dinner and she saw it and said something negative but then was like, it's your body...so I know she doesn't like it and doesn't really approve of it, but if you're an adult, you do you.