First tattoo - Dragon Koi

finegentleman

Chris is one of the best ! Like I said he only books a month ahead of time. I know that because he tattooed me twice. Both Incredible tattoos. RG is just as good but they have slightly different styles.

Seems that price is driving you to Dan? Honestly I don't know his work so I cant correctly judge him. Go with what you can afford ! I would at least visit the shop and talk to the artist but that's just me. !

It's kinda like looking at cars on the internet there is a big difference when you see it up close. Anyway just some friendly advice!

These artist are booked for a reason. Good Luck!

The wait for RG is 4 month and his price is 250/hr compared to Dan's one month wait and 180/hr. Is their skill difference that great that I should wait that much longer and pay that much more? Honestly' date=' I'm not sure; My artistic eye isn't strong. To me, Dan's art looks just as good. I'll try to contact Chris Garver tomorrow but I imagine he's booked for about a year since he's like a superstar.[/quote']

A lot of things factor into pricing from design, location of the shop, location of the tattoo and other factors.

Don't worry so much about the 'price per hour' so much as the art and artist, if the work is good and you can make a connection with the artist it will worth the money, you'll have a rad tattoo and a great memory.

This we don't talk about money, is fucking bullshit, I get not saying 'I paid X' but but people need to understand the factors of pricing, it's not all about the drawing and actual tattooing, folks need to know that certain areas of the body are more difficult to produce a rad tattoo and there for require more time/money.

I just skimmed through this thread.

1) REGINO CRUSHES. He's on my list if I ever make it to NYC anytime soon. Beyond jealous that @slayer9019 goes to RG on the regular.

2) Good tattoos aren't cheap, cheap tattoos aren't good.

Dude regino is too good. Maybe back piece in my future from him. I suggest a fly out for you. Legit do it.

Dude regino is too good. Maybe back piece in my future from him. I suggest a fly out for you. Legit do it.

I've definitely thought about it. Needs to be done before the body suit is complete (which will be a loooooong time from now). RG is known for his Japanese work, but his traditional stuff is my absolute favorite.

I've definitely thought about it. Needs to be done before the body suit is complete (which will be a loooooong time from now). RG is known for his Japanese work, but his traditional stuff is my absolute favorite.

Yea I got two traditional tattoos from him as well as my japanese leg sleeve thing (gypsy lady, skull snake skull, and raijin dragon). Stupid good at everything he does. He is my go to guy pretty much always.

Also please everyone stop "quoting" internet prices. First it is not what we talk about on LST, also they are not a determination of tattoo skill (either are they ever accurate). I like to judge a tattoo on the tattoo not on the price.

Yea I got two traditional tattoos from him as well as my japanese leg sleeve thing (gypsy lady, skull snake skull, and raijin dragon). Stupid good at everything he does. He is my go to guy pretty much always.

Also please everyone stop "quoting" internet prices. First it is not what we talk about on LST, also they are not a determination of tattoo skill (either are they ever accurate). I like to judge a tattoo on the tattoo not on the price.

Shop location has to be a factor in pricing. Rent in NYC is high. Some neighborhoods more expensive than others.

A friend of mine got a huge Koi back piece and arowana calf sleeve from Dan at Inkman. Both solid pieces with great colors. And yes, someone here already mentioned that Dan was part of the original Invisible crew and went on to have his own shop that's much more low key.

As members with some experience, we can only lay out the information in front of you. Whatever your circumstances may be, the decision is ultimately yours on which artist you go with. With all the big names mentioned in NYC, don't forget that there are also many fantastic guest artists that come in and visit. The NYC Tattoo Convention is coming up in March and there are going to be a nice selection of guest artists in town for the con and doing guest spots at a bunch of the local shops.

A friend of mine got a huge Koi back piece and arowana calf sleeve from Dan at Inkman. Both solid pieces with great colors. And yes, someone here already mentioned that Dan was part of the original Invisible crew and went on to have his own shop that's much more low key.

As members with some experience, we can only lay out the information in front of you. Whatever your circumstances may be, the decision is ultimately yours on which artist you go with. With all the big names mentioned in NYC, don't forget that there are also many fantastic guest artists that come in and visit. The NYC Tattoo Convention is coming up in March and there are going to be a nice selection of guest artists in town for the con and doing guest spots at a bunch of the local shops.

Thanks for the comment.

I see that the Horitoshi Family is going to be at that convention. What are my chances of getting tattooed by one of them?

Thanks for the comment.

I see that the Horitoshi Family is going to be at that convention. What are my chances of getting tattooed by one of them?

I suggest checking both schedules for Shun Ho and Horimitsu and emailing either right away if you are serious. I think Brian Kaneko is currently at NY Adorned but probably fully booked for the guest spot and show. Good luck, LOVE Horitoshi Family work!

The wait for RG is 4 month and his price is 250/hr compared to Dan's one month wait and 180/hr.

Is their skill difference that great that I should wait that much longer and pay that much more? Honestly, I'm not sure; My artistic eye isn't strong. To me, Dan's art looks just as good.

you have been given about 15 artists to check out from guys who have arguably been getting tattooed and following tattooing longer than you. Its up to you to heed this advice.

As far as cost I have seen too many times the less expensive artist take substantially longer to finish a tattoo, which translates into equal or more expensive tattoo when its said and done.

I am not saying Dan is not going to give you a good tattoo but you took enough time to sign up and ask for advice and admittedly have a lack for recognizing a quality tattoo.

Danh Vu vs. RG . Leaning towards Danh Vu though because of price and because I can't tell if RG is that much better.

Do you have a better suggestion?

Take your time. No need to rush into this. Have you visited the shops yet? I would recommend doing that before making a final decision.

Everyone here has given you solid suggestions and artists to choose from. In the end the choice on who you go to is up to you but I will tell you that you shouldn't be intimated or shy away from an artist simply due to their hourly rates. You could easily work out a schedule with them and go at your own pace to complete the sleeve. It's not like you have to get it done in a month or even a year. As long as your up front with them about when you will be able to get tattooed and don't drop off the face of the planet you could complete a project in whatever time frame is good for you.

Danh Vu vs. RG . Leaning towards Danh Vu though because of price and because I can't tell if RG is that much better.

Do you have a better suggestion?

well I have.. Price is something that you shouldn't go by. Not knowing Dan so i can't judge his work and speed but. Form what I know some of the higher priced tattooers are super fast and efficient. While the price maybe less with another artist they might take longer and at the end the price will be the same.

Example say an artist takes 40hrs to complete a full sleeve and charges less. Another artist take only 30 and charges more.

Listen RG his tattoos are amazing! No one on this site will say anything but good things about him and his tattoos.

Call the shop and set up a consolation and voice your concerns about your budget and check out in person the tattooers work. Do that with a couple artist .

Go look at portfolios in person? Maybe that'll help you decide. I don't know if the vibe of a place matters to you, but it might sway me if I'm truly stuck between several amazing people.

Waiting means you get to save money. :cool: Doing shorter sessions as a newbie is probably a good idea, and is another way to deal with the expense.