2014 London Tattoo Convention

No photos from the convention unfortunately as my phone is being something of a bastard at the moment :/

Managed to get a walk up from Forrest from Cobra Custom, filled in a spot on my elbow that i've had open for far too long. Really nice dude (as were all the spider murphy's guys, Jeremy in particular was hilarious) and obviously a solid tattooer. I'll throw a pic on as soon as i figure out how the hell you take a good pic of a tattoo on your own elbow! So if any of you guys saw the dude getting his elbow tattooed around 1 o'clock onwards on Saturday, that would be me.

Got to meet Freddy Corbin briefly while i was being tattooed, spoke to Ed Hardy, again briefly as he was very much in demand. Other than that i kinda kept myself to myself this year and took it all in, had a great time just shuffling around from place to place looking at all the incredible work on display.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish i could remember the name of the american tattoo flash book Forrest brought with him, it was utterly ridiculous. He told me it was a book you could flip open to any page and find something brilliant, and he was absolutely right.

All i recall is it mentioned something about American tattoo flash up to the 50s or so and had a kinda beige hard back cover (vague i know, sorry.)

I went up a few days early to get tattooed by Bert Krak at Frith Street the 'MUM' rose, attached. And went to the 'Miniature Ink' exhibition at Atomica Gallery that evening, where I bought the small works on sale by Curly and Alex Binnie.

The day after I went to the 'Time' exhibition at Somerset House, I definitely recommend it.

The first day of the convention I didn't do too much, went to meet Ed Hardy first thing pretty much. I bought the 'Nurse Mercy' lithograph, and he signed my copy of Tattooing the Invisible Man, relatedly - I was walking around later, and to my surprise - I saw Bill Salmon, so I also asked Bill to sign it.

Second day - got a sacred heart from Freddy Corbin, whilst my friend next to me had a very long sitting (6 hours?) with Mike the Athens.

Today I only went to pick up the lithograph and went home!

I saw a few LST'ers, but didn't want to bother anyone.

I wish i could remember the name of the american tattoo flash book Forrest brought with him, it was utterly ridiculous. He told me it was a book you could flip open to any page and find something brilliant, and he was absolutely right.

All i recall is it mentioned something about American tattoo flash up to the 50s or so and had a kinda beige hard back cover (vague i know, sorry.)

perhaps Flash from the Bowery: Classic American Tattoos, 1900-1950: Cliff White: 9780764339288: Amazon.com: Books ?

- - - Updated - - -

perhaps Flash from the Bowery: Classic American Tattoos, 1900-1950: Cliff White: 9780764339288: Amazon.com: Books ?

What a weekend!!

I also checked out the Somerset Gallery on Saturday and it is really worth a visit! Some incredible stuff in there. Even my missus who doesn't even like tattoos bought a Rose Hardy print.

Sunday I went lone ranger to the Convention and really enjoyed. Managed to get a tattoo from Paul Dobleman and super stoked with how it turned out.

He's a cool guy and we had a couple of drinks together and a laugh. The tattoo was a breeze. I'll try post a photo soon but my phone's about to pack in so hoping he'll send me his copy!

What a weekend!!

I also checked out the Somerset Gallery on Saturday and it is really worth a visit! Some incredible stuff in there. Even my missus who doesn't even like tattoos bought a Rose Hardy print.

Sunday I went lone ranger to the Convention and really enjoyed. Managed to get a tattoo from Paul Dobleman and super stoked with how it turned out.

He's a cool guy and we had a couple of drinks together and a laugh. The tattoo was a breeze. I'll try post a photo soon but my phone's about to pack in so hoping he'll send me his copy!

Awesome! Let's see that Paul piece.

Well... That was a pretty great weekend. I will summarise it briefly though.

Saw a whole heap of great tattoos and tattoo artists. I now really want to get a Filip Leu tattoo but that will have to go on some sort of wish list I reckon.

Got tattooed by Hori Shin on Saturday first thing. He did a cool little rabbit for me. It was great to get some tebori done again. Been a few years since I've had any Japanese hand poked work and this piece went pretty well. Basically all of the white in the fur is tebori. There were a couple of bits he had to go over a couple of times but they should heal up just fine I reckon.

Oh and it was insanely hot in Tobacco Dock this year. Anyone else think that it felt like a glass house at times?

Also @RoryQ I was looking at my photos this afternoon and wondered is this you getting your front tattooed by Tomo and looking very relaxed about the whole thing?

@MrToby

That rabbit sure is sweet! I've seen some other pieces by him with plenty of white in them. I ask you now since you are familiar with the technique: do you think tebori is especially good for white, that it stays in there more solid?

General comment:

I so wish I'd been there for the convention this year! Seen so many pictures all over instagram of cool people and rad tattoos being made. Would have love to have been part of it and meet some of you guys!