Custom Tattoo Website

finegentleman

I am a coward. I would do anything to get out of having to make a phone call. (Did you know there's an actual human being on the other end of the line?! You can't see their eyes!) Given that, this website still gets a "hell no" from me.

I can see how it appeals. To people who want a tattoo because David Beckham/Cheryl Cole/the one with the silly hair from One Direction have one, who know nothing about how to choose a shop or an artist, who think that a tattoo is a tattoo is a tattoo (or a "tatoo" in many cases)... I hope you can see what I'm getting at. Even if they get a decent design from the website, they won't know how to pick an artist who can do a decent job with it. Many of the comments mention cost. I can imagine people thinking that, if they've got a decent design, then any geezer with a "tat gun" can just trace it and blast it, right.

I'd like to give this man a pat on the head. Bless his cotton socks. Bruce Cramblett: "I really like this, I had sent a message to Kat Von D asking if she would consider doing this and she never responded."

I'm a web designer, this same shit has been going on in our industry for awhile now. Logo Contests, Website Design Contests, etc.

The only designers who are willing to enter these kinds of contests are people who can't get a job as a designer or make it as a freelancer, so you are always going to get bad work. Always. No one with actual experience and skill is going to do work that they "might" get paid for, when they could be doing work they'll definitely get paid (a lot more) for. And then when they "win" the contest they're rewarded with a cheapskate client who doesn't respect the profession enough to pay for a site well-built & well-designed by professionals... assuming the client doesn't just take their free designs and disappear.

Anyway, my point is, if this custom tattoo design thing turns out anything like what I've seen in my own industry, it's only going to result in poorly designed or blatantly ripped off designs being taken to unskilled, cheap artists and producing an awful result. "You get the tattoo you deserve."

quick edit: Not to disrespect any artist that's participating, just wanted to say what I think will happen to this idea based on what I've seen of a similar idea executed in my own profession.

What the fuck is this? What the fuck is a 'Tattoo Designer'?

More importantly I had a look through their Instagram Instagram and I can see work regramed/reposted by Tattoodo from

Chad Koeplinger

Horiyoshi 3

Tim Hendricks

Scott Sylvia

Stewart Robson

Etc, Etc.

(not sure how to tag names on here - help? mod?)

I'm pretty sure none of these artists would be happy about their work being passed off and associated with this sort of thing.

In the murky world of the internet this is going to be rife. Still really fucks me off, even more so after watching the FST: Shoulder of Giants film seeing the hard work, passion and love for the industry that these artists have spent years working toward and seeing people break it apart with diluted souless actions as these.

It blows my mind that people are willing to pay $300 for a 'design' over the internet?!

Makes my blood boil.

I guess another one of these websites was on the Canadian version of Dragon's Den, which prompted Kyle Hollingdrake who tattoos at The Okey Doke Tattoo Shop in Toronto to write about why these sites are wrong. I don't think it's possible to direct link to the post so you have to scroll down a little bit:

News relating to Kyle Hollingdrake and his excellent tattoos | Hollingdrake Tattoos | Tattooing at the Okey Doke in Toronto, Ontario Canada

This sites are parasites and are counting on people's ignorance about tattoos. There's no room for shit like this here.

What the fuck is this? What the fuck is a 'Tattoo Designer'? More importantly I had a look through their Instagram Instagram and I can see work regramed/reposted by Tattoodo from Chad Koeplinger Horiyoshi 3 Tim Hendricks Scott Sylvia Stewart Robson Etc' date=' Etc. (not sure how to tag names on here - help? mod?) I'm pretty sure none of these artists would be happy about their work being passed off and associated with this sort of thing. In the murky world of the internet this is going to be rife. Still really fucks me off, even more so after watching the FST: Shoulder of Giants film seeing the hard work, passion and love for the industry that these artists have spent years working toward and seeing people break it apart with diluted souless actions as these. It blows my mind that people are willing to pay $300 for a 'design' over the internet?! Makes my blood boil.[/quote']

I think Ami James is near the front of this thing(ownership wise), at least he's been promoting it on social media etc like he has some stake to it, which may be why some of those names are being associated with it.

The idea if wearing a stencil longer then the 10 seconds before I say 'looks good, let's do it' is interesting but I think it would lead to second thoughts for some(maybe a good idea, maybe not) and picking a design to death.

Like someone eluded to already, teaching ppl about choosing a proper artist is more important IMO, the way LST does.

I am constantly trying to figure out the next get-rich quick scheme. I am amazed by what simple ideas people get that net them huge amounts of money.

Case in point; The way employees that work at Applebee's get paid is through a bizarre system of a bank that holds all of Applebees's employees money, but holds onto it for 2 days or something. On payday you can log into the Applebee's bank and make a transfer from their bank account to your own bank account. This process takes 2 to 3 days sometimes to make the transfer complete. In the meantime that bank is collecting interest during those couple of days on every Applebee's paycheck in the country. What an amazing scheme. This is the kind of shit I wish I thought of first.

If the person who made the site makes a few hundred thousand dollars through some bullshit effort that they didn't do themselves I'll be kicking myself for not thinking about first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
What the fuck is this? What the fuck is a 'Tattoo Designer'?

More importantly I had a look through their Instagram Instagram and I can see work regramed/reposted by Tattoodo from

Chad Koeplinger

Horiyoshi 3

Tim Hendricks

Scott Sylvia

Stewart Robson

Etc, Etc.

(not sure how to tag names on here - help? mod?)

I'm pretty sure none of these artists would be happy about their work being passed off and associated with this sort of thing.

In the murky world of the internet this is going to be rife. Still really fucks me off, even more so after watching the FST: Shoulder of Giants film seeing the hard work, passion and love for the industry that these artists have spent years working toward and seeing people break it apart with diluted souless actions as these.

It blows my mind that people are willing to pay $300 for a 'design' over the internet?!

Makes my blood boil.

Wow. Where can I watch FST? sounds great!