How much time did it take for these tattoos?

finegentleman

You don't have to always be a cock sucker, everyone else here offered what info they could and explained why it may not be useful at all, what wrong with that? Instead of being a dick, try answering a question, or here's a thought, if it's really that pointless, just stfu.

I guess unless you're asking a question the only reply accepted 'ask your tattooer'.. Asking a tattooer is great, but as someone new to tattoos and such, if you just roll up in a shop or two and start asking artists 'how much for this?' And 'how long for that?' You're going to have a bad time, seen it first hand, tattooers wanna work with paying customers, not looky Lu's-

If we here @ LST aren't willing to provide these types of guesstimates, we should be so willing to talk shit when they get bad info elsewhere.

This place is supposed to be dedicated to good tattoos, not being a fucking asshole to anyone you can because they might know less then you. How about help out or shut the fuck up.

Name calling and insults are not tolerated on LST, let's keep it classy guys.

I kinda agree with you but..

Some of us are on this site a lot and see the same questions asked and answered all the time but..

Other are new to the site and honestly who has the time to look through all the different threads. ...

I feel the frustration of you guys who are experienced in this site and see it all but do we have to dismiss all of those who aren't?

I have spent hours and hours lurking on this site, reading thread after thread. Learning.

They don't have the time to use the search function to look through old threads that have the answer to their question? Really? It's probably quicker than starting a new thread and coming back to check on it again and again. And it's also a lot easier on the rest of us...This thread is well and truly derailed, but it had nothing to do with his response.

The search function on the site sucks. It returns hundreds of hits by individual words, and it doesn't accept quotes (or does and returns NO results even though I later find the exact quotes in posts), doesn't accept booleans, and after reading for hours, I trip across the information I'm looking for and wonder why the hell the search engine couldn't pick it up when the info, word-for-word, obviously exists.

If some questions come up so often and you're getting tired of seeing them and the search function sucks, then take the common questions and make stickies out of them. Make a sticky that has links to the common questions/common answers. I see this appears haphazardly here (like cut-and-paste lists of useful links that appears randomly in longer threads but dammit if I can find one of those posts when I'm looking for it). This particular forum could take better advantage of the underlying functionality.

Flame away at me. At least I'm suggesting a solution to your derailment rather than just ranting. I've been holding off on asking a question and I'm sure as hell not going to ask it now.

I've been holding off on asking a question and I'm sure as hell not going to ask it now.

If you have spent a lot of time looking through the forum, but still feel like your question hasn't been answered, then you definitely should ask it. If it is a question related to a thread that exists, but you'd like a personal approach to your situation, then simply post it in the related thread. If not, create a new one. I think the great thing about LST is more often than not people new to tattooing have come here and asked questions that more in-the-know people may consider dumb or self-explanatory. Yet all of us rally together to educate, inform, and help the poster without judgement or ridicule. That is the mission of LST and it's sad that a member would feel unable to ask a question without facing bullying of some sort.

We can do better, guys.

I would have to agree that the search engine on this site leaves a lot to be desired. I started a post asking what is the longest people have sat for a session and then was notified that there was already a thread about that. Thing is, I searched for that topic first, in a few different ways and nothing turned up.

- - - Updated - - -

of course now I tried it and it made a liar out of me.

@finegentleman You should email Luca Ortis, who did the first tattoo you linked to.

He's a nice guy and a very professional and businesslike tattooer.

If you're serious about getting a tattoo like this, most tattooers wouldn't mind a few newbie questions. We all have to start somewhere.

If you're asking so you can have fuel for a chat session with your buddies, keep asking strangers on the internet. Maybe they'll start arguing amongst themselves - that'll be fun for about zero seconds.

I've been thinking about this question/thread - if you are serious about learning how long the two pieces took, how about you try to track down who did the tattoos, and get in touch either with the artist or the owner? There are also some blogs out there for full bodysuits, backpieces, etc that give information about how many hours and sittings the work took, the progression, etc.

We have all been in @finegentleman shoes at one point or another. Deciding on an artist to do your first tattoo is no easy task considering the choices of talented artists that are out there especially in NYC. With that being said I wouldn't choose an artist solely based on whether or not their estimation is lower than the others the same way I wouldn't rule out an artist based on their hourly rate. This is because when you ask for an estimation all that it is; is a "ballpark" estimation. There are a ton of factors that go into the time it takes to complete a sleeve that people have already mentioned so I'd say it 's next to impossible for an artist to judge exactly how long it is going to take. Also, if you take their estimate on time literally you're only setting yourself up for disappointment when you surpass their estimated time by a few more hours and then you may be pissed that it's taking longer then they originally said when it wasn't done on purpose. In the end though if you're serious you are going to have to start having some consultations with the artists to discuss your ideas and have your questions answered.

I will say one more thing about price. Have you ever bought something -- say, a coffeemaker, and you wanted the more expensive one but you couldn't justify it so you went with the cheaper one, until that one broke, so you went back and bought the more expensive one, which is what you should have done in the first place? Well, it's just like that, except with a tattoo you can't just get rid of the old one and forget about it; you have to pay someone way more money to burn the flesh off your arm for hours and hours and hours.

I can say this from me personally. I really don't mind answer the same questions we all had in the beginning of getting tattooed. We've all been there. Yes there is repeat questions, because honestly most people share similar fears or doubts. I know sometimes I (or us as a whole) come off a bit rough when we say "go ask the artist(s)" but realistically I feel that, us "internet strangers" would not be giving the most accurate advice. There is only some much information we know or can share without just basing guesses on personal experiences, which really would be just throwing out opinions. Things like "how long will it take", "How much time was that", "Can this image/idea be done", really are best left up to the actual artist doing the tattoo. I know personally I cannot give a quote for price/time, or tell you what can be done. This I feel applies as well to just about all other LST members (unless they happen to the be artist you are getting tattooed by!).

I'd say my biggest "rules" I like to enforce on LST as a moderator are as follows:

1. Be nice!

2. Do not ever talk money!

Treat this place as if it was a gathering of friends. Friends don't talk disrespectfully to each other, and I have yet to really start talking money with my friends, outside of the casual "if I won the lottery" conversation.

I can say this from me personally. I really don't mind answer the same questions we all had in the beginning of getting tattooed. We've all been there. Yes there is repeat questions, because honestly most people share similar fears or doubts. I know sometimes I (or us as a whole) come off a bit rough when we say "go ask the artist(s)" but realistically I feel that, us "internet strangers" would not be giving the most accurate advice. There is only some much information we know or can share without just basing guesses on personal experiences, which really would be just throwing out opinions. Things like "how long will it take", "How much time was that", "Can this image/idea be done", really are best left up to the actual artist doing the tattoo. I know personally I cannot give a quote for price/time, or tell you what can be done. This I feel applies as well to just about all other LST members (unless they happen to the be artist you are getting tattooed by!).

I'd say my biggest "rules" I like to enforce on LST as a moderator are as follows:

1. Be nice!

2. Do not ever talk money!

Treat this place as if it was a gathering of friends. Friends don't talk disrespectfully to each other, and I have yet to really start talking money with my friends, outside of the casual "if I won the lottery" conversation.

You're not from England are you? All we do here in the UK is talk disrespectfully to each other! I'd call my best friend all the names under the sun before I'd even look blackly at a complete stranger.

This thread has restored my faith in internet forums. I love it when a thread degenerates into abusive nonsense, and feel the complete opposite to Stewart as I think it's entertaining ad infinitum.

You muppets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Time = Money' date=' right? So don't ask about the hours needed to complete a tattoo because you are basically asking how much it cost. Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk[/quote']

Agree to some extent, I'm sure there will be inquiries to time in relation to the OP's pieces in question because someone said they can be done right in 5-6 hours, which IMO is not realistic at all.

Time is also important in terms of traveling for a tattoo, for instance someone said 20+ hours as a ball park, that may tell someone they need to plan on more then one trip/flight, another person might think they can squeeze it in, in one trip.

With so many factors going into pricing, time is only part of that equation and my experience is a lot of artists charge by the piece, regardless off the time involved. Again I think 'time' or 'hours' involved is so insignificant in terms of price, far more relevant to travel and pain tolerance.

I've no issue with the no $$ talk in terms of dollar amount but as a site dedicated to getting great tattoos I believe removing the taboo of explaining pricing is a good step.

In particular ppl new to tattoos need to understand the factors that go in to pricing so they can feel confident.

• 2 years later...
On 23.02.2014 at 11:48 PM, Tuchaka said:

Really helpful thread for me as well, i am one of those people who has a hard time sitting still so it got me thinking in terms of how long do i really wanna sit for.

I agree. I need some help too guys. I'm thinking now about getting a tattoo, but don't wanna hurt myself much. I found some great examples of tattoos http://flowertattooideas.com/rose-thigh-tattoos-women/ and can't choose one. How much time will it take on this one for example:

21-magnificent-rose-tattoo-on-the-hip.jp

@Henrietta Hi. Help me understand your post a little better. Are you worried about it hurting or the time it will take (or both)? I ask because a small tattoo that may take an hour (or less) in a certain spot can be excruciating. A larger tattoo in a different spot can barely be felt by some. Pain is totally dependent on any number of variables (person, location, artist, if your sick, etc). That being said, tattoos do hurt.

If you want a tattoo, you need to warrior it up. At a minimum, it's going to be uncomfortable. Read the link that @SStu referenced above and you'll see that people's experiences are all over the place. The net is if you want it badly enough, you'll do it.

For me, that spot wasn't too bad. I have my own pain scale (I call it the suck factor) that goes from 0-5. My right hip, thigh and butt for two different tattoos in that area had an average suck factor of 2.5.

I find that dealing with the same shop and artists over a long period of time, they treat me right. Nothing is ever free, but is what some people seem to be looking for. A good experienced artist will work faster than someone with less experience. I have known artists that would purposely drag a tattoo out longer than it should have, just to make extra $$.

I've noticed that some shops are not that busy, it seems that at least locally here the winter is off-season for tattooing. And big in the summer. I want all my tattoo work in before mid May. So an artist will appreciate the work a little more in the slow season.

I now spend what I want on tattoos, but before I would save up for one. Put away $20 and $10 there and it adds up quick.