Myth of the professional Tattooer

Victor

Myth? Um... isn't what we do based on myth? "You can't tattoo over moles." "Connected arm bands will mess up your Chi." "Tattoos in the palms won't hold."

While I understand that I might be a little late jumping here, one can't really expect say "Joe Four Pack" to know about what makes a good tattoo. What makes a good tattoo here in the USA does not apply in Singapore. And my idea and yours could be different. There is a fine line here, but that line separates artist and client. Anyone can tattoo, and plenty of people (myself included) have no fine arts back ground outside of sleeping through high school drawing.

But I do have an eye for tattoos.

As for shady people in tattooing. Ain't we all? I would love to see an advance in art, the tech aspect of tattooing, but stopping with education is selling people short, on both sides of needle. If one were to go there, you'd have to get into motivation on either side. Why do you tattoo? That's a tough one. It's easier to understand why people get them. And where does the happiness of the client end and happiness of the artist begin?

I don't dig doing "Hatchetman" tattoos. But I like money. The person with the Hatchetman man may not even know who Van Gough is, let alone care.

The next level and up is fine. No argument from me there. When it all comes down to it, this is the only 'mersh art that really sells. I can paint all day and still be broke. Or I can throw on a few silly ones in a day, to me anyway, and walk out with money for cigs.

We don't exist in a vacuum. Your lights are not on by grace. It because you have people come in and sit. I really see it sorta like Burger King. In a column for Skin and Ink, Zeke Owen said that he was talking with NKC, and he said that he didn't care what happened to the tattoo. If they washed in soap or jet fuel. Once they left the shop it was done. Over. And if you want a touch up and you jacked it up... well, you all do charge for that kind of mistake, yes?

Maybe deVita has it right. It's folk art, all of the art out there, as it's done by people. I know a guy who won't take a drawing and just lay it on a person. He likes to rework it. A good tattoo guy or girl can throw in that little something extra to anything. Make them smile.

"I won't," Marginalizes.

"I can't," Should really be followed with, "Yet."

"I'll do my very best," Keeps them coming in.

I'm not entitled to anything. Except my opinion. I don't get mad when someone goes to another artist. I don't care because there is a Hell of a lot of room left in the world. People are always going to get tattooed. Just how it is.

"You want that wolf facing out? OK, you got it."

Education is fine. Rules (you know except for BBP, consent forms, ETC, nach) are for sheep. You are not prepared for someone throwing up on you while you're working on them at art school. No where have I ever taken a painting class that has a unit on haggling. Most figure drawing classes do not come with a sheaf of paperwork to fill out. No license is needed to sculpt.

The myth here is that we're special. No, go back twenty five, fifty, and hundred years, and we, all of us, were lower then poo. If we all wound up murdered in 1914, the whole lot of us, it never would have even made the front page.

I appreciate your feedback.

(1) On here I am a Tattoo Enthusiast, Collector and Critic.

(2) I think that to point out the myth of the Professional Tattooer as a simple truth, is hopefully subtly pushing people in the right direction of "GET GOOD TATTOOS". Once you learn something, you cannot un-know it.

What is this myth? That because somebody has tattoo equipment that they're automatically a professional? Who actually is saying that? You used a lot of words to express something that could be said in a short sentence. I find it odd that you felt the need to even post this here because if you look at the Latest Tattoo Lowdown thread and the Tattoo of the Month contests it should be obvious that people here know a thing or two about getting tattooed.

If you take a long view of tattooing, none of this is new in any way. George Burchett wrote about scratchers in the early 20th century; Stoney talks about it; I can't remember if it's in Justin Spring's biography of him or in Bad Boys and Tough Tattoos, but Phil Sparrow doesn't have a lot of good things to say about the tattooers on State Street in Chicago. In Ed Hardy's autobiography he talks about people who tattooed for the money who didn't have any love or respect for the art. This is all way before reality TV and the internet. There have always been hacks. There will always be hacks. There's no point in wasting any excess energy caring about this.

What is this myth? That because somebody has tattoo equipment that they're automatically a professional? Who actually is saying that? You used a lot of words to express something that could be said in a short sentence.

Some people just like the sound of their own voice.

I am always so pleased to hear the expert insights from non-professionals into the craft I've been involved in and working in. I especially love the client that talks the talk like they grew up in a tattoo shop or fell out of the womb onto a stencil.

Until someone has sat in my chair doing what I do their opinion or expertise or whatever the fuck they think they know doesn't mean shit. And critics that don't tattoo have the same amount of credibility as Dave Navarro.

I do not think a spokes-person is the answer, I think the answer is to think about some universal truths that people can easily understand, related to and adopt, so as to clear the profitable bullshit fog surrounding the Tattoo Scene.

I am advocating simple education to help people to choose the right Tattooer for them. That simple process may cure a lot of the issues I see complained about. Simple is key to solving complex issues.

Again you cannot force learning on someone who does not want it, but if they do, why not make the simple truths easy to follow. So removing some of the Myths that are predominant in Tattoo Culture is a step in the right direction.

The best advice I ever got was....."if you want to know anything about tattooing then you go get tattooed by good qualified tattoo artists AND if they are willing to share ANY bits of information about tattooing with you....then you should feel honored!"

That information has helped me more than you can imagine....it told me right up front to respect the people who are tattooing me and the knowledge they possess!

Now of course this was said to me long before television raped the craft and the internet was filled with "how to" videos and machines were sold on ebay......but the advice still holds very true!

Now I have been a tattooed person for 30 years and I still feel weird giving advice to people who ask me.....even though I am a year into a tattoo apprenticeship and with the experiences I have had being tattooed and the knowledge that was shared with me.....

I still feel the only person qualified to give good advice is someone who has actually been trained to tattoo properly and has put their time in!

Do I give advice to friends from time to time when asked.....yes!

Do I feel I can recognize a good tattoo from a bad one.....yes!

If you truly want a good tattoo then you will do the research as many of us here did and you will get one! But it has been said here already.....most people just want a tattoo and are not too worried if their tattoo has a double line....a few hollow spots.....or was done by an "ink master" ;)

What is this myth? That because somebody has tattoo equipment that they're automatically a professional? Who actually is saying that? You used a lot of words to express something that could be said in a short sentence. I find it odd that you felt the need to even post this here because if you look at the Latest Tattoo Lowdown thread and the Tattoo of the Month contests it should be obvious that people here know a thing or two about getting tattooed.

If you take a long view of tattooing, none of this is new in any way. George Burchett wrote about scratchers in the early 20th century; Stoney talks about it; I can't remember if it's in Justin Spring's biography of him or in Bad Boys and Tough Tattoos, but Phil Sparrow doesn't have a lot of good things to say about the tattooers on State Street in Chicago. In Ed Hardy's autobiography he talks about people who tattooed for the money who didn't have any love or respect for the art. This is all way before reality TV and the internet. There have always been hacks. There will always be hacks. There's no point in wasting any excess energy caring about this.

Yes, to most of that and thank you for the links.

But..

(1) The general assumption of .."this myth....because somebody has tattoo equipment that they're automatically a professional" is a major problem.

(2) "There have always been hacks" yes, as far back a modern electric tattooing and beyond, but today we have wonderful internet forums and access to information that can help oust the Hacks greatest tool which is 'assumption' created and promoted by "reality TV" .

Yes, to most of that and thank you for the links.

But..

(1) The general assumption of .."this myth....because somebody has tattoo equipment that they're automatically a professional" is a major problem.

(2) "There have always been hacks" yes, as far back a modern electric tattooing and beyond, but today we have wonderful internet forums and access to information that can help oust the Hacks greatest tool which is 'assumption' created and promoted by "reality TV" .

The 'hacks' greatest tool is that they are cheap. Dirt cheap. And this appeals to the type of people who don't care about the quality of their tattoos. So in essence the problem is not that much of a problem. The type of people that good tattooers don't want to tattoo go to scratchers, leaving the people who want good tattoos to come to good tattooers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 'hacks' greatest tool is that they are cheap. Dirt cheap. And this appeals to the type of people who don't care about the quality of their tattoos. So in essence the problem is not that much of a problem. The type of people that good tattooers don't want to tattoo go to scratchers, leaving the people who want good tattoos to come to good tattooers.

Thank you for that.

The saying "Good Tattoos ain't cheap and cheap tattoos ain't good" I see posted everywhere is a logical fallacy, because some times Great Tattooers give an exceptional rate for projects that are close to their hearts, and on the other hand, real terrible Tattooers charge a premium to the unaware or inexperienced. I hear and agree to a certain point about the cheap tattoo seekers, but to me that is not the major cause of the plague of bad tattoos I see everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Now of course this was said to me long before television raped the craft and the internet was filled with "how to" videos and machines were sold on ebay......but the advice still holds very true!

Here in Nova Scotia, we have, not only ebay, but also Kijiji adds selling tattoo equipment, and supplies, guys looking for people to practice on displaying the worst tattoos ever as their portfolio and even people offering their skin to wreck, to anyone who is willing to drive the needle. WTF.

I think one of the problems with the new digital age of tattoo is the highjacking of Tattoo culture by the people who want to sell Tattoo products, the byproduct of their propaganda, is creating mindless consumers, which spills over to fuel the Hacks churning out bad tattoos, making the Tattoo Scene look like a bunch of neanderthals, beneath the TV veneer.

The egocentric personality who is seeking TV Fame is different from the art centered individual who may find a Job applying Tattoo Art for money, because they enjoy art for art's sake. Reality TV shows are providing an avenue for fame seekers who might otherwise play guitar seeking fame and fortune and ego fluff.

The great Tattoo Artists who I have met and respect are humble, appreciative artist who love art for art sake.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a little confused by this statement... Am I correct to interpret this as "I am a tattoo artist but not willing to be up front and honest about my background on this particular internet forum?" I ask because I read your posts and they are all very thorough but it is very difficult to truly appreciate your statements without some info on what shapes your perspective of these issues.

I represent myself honestly and hopefully with clarity.

Regardless of whether I am an Dishwasher, Sailor, Carpenter or Cook, my statements stand as they are, my perspective is shaped by my experiences, which I am trying to express as clearly as I can, so as to find others of like-mind, or make a correction in my own view on certain issues which are of interest to me.

With all due respect, what I say is not about me, it is about the topic at hand, (unless I am telling a personal experience story).

Thank you for that.

The saying "Good Tattoos ain't cheap and cheap tattoos ain't good" I see posted everywhere is a logical fallacy, because some times Great Tattooers give an exceptional rate for projects that are close to their hearts, and on the other hand, real terrible Tattooers charge a premium to the unaware or inexperienced. I hear and agree to a certain point about the cheap tattoo seekers, but to me that is not the major cause of the plague of bad tattoos I see everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Here in Nova Scotia, we have, not only ebay, but also Kijiji adds selling tattoo equipment, and supplies, guys looking for people to practice on displaying the worst tattoos ever as their portfolio and even people offering their skin to wreck, to anyone who is willing to drive the needle. WTF.

I think one of the problems with the new digital age of tattoo is the highjacking of Tattoo culture by the people who want to sell Tattoo products, the byproduct of their propaganda, is creating mindless consumers, which spills over to fuel the Hacks churning out bad tattoos, making the Tattoo Scene look like a bunch of neanderthals, beneath the TV veneer.

The egocentric personality who is seeking TV Fame is different from the art centered individual who may find a Job applying Tattoo Art for money, because they enjoy art for art's sake. Reality TV shows are providing an avenue for fame seekers who might otherwise play guitar seeking fame and fortune and ego fluff.

The great Tattoo Artists who I have met and respect are humble, appreciative artist who love art for art sake.

- - - Updated - - -

I represent myself honestly and hopefully with clarity.

Regardless of whether I am an Dishwasher, Sailor, Carpenter or Cook, my statements stand as they are, my perspective is shaped by my experiences, which I am trying to express as clearly as I can, so as to find others of like-mind, or make a correction in my own view on certain issues which are of interest to me.

With all due respect, what I say is not about me, it is about the topic at hand, (unless I am telling a personal experience story).

Dude. I think you need to take life, and yourself, a little less seriously.

There's too much to type to explain the confusion over the mythology. Its not about tattooing being a subculture. Its about the various subcultures that get tattoos. You've had military, hot rod/kustom culture, bikers, punkers, greasers, juggalos, skinheads, thugs, etc.

Now that includes people who are just interested in tattoos as being the common thing. Usually in the other social groups or subcultures, you can see a trend of common interests. So now I think people are overly trying to impose ideas on other groups because of their own internal struggle to find a common interest across the board with other tattooed folks in a different social class or subculture. Even when there is overlap or other common interests among like minded individuals, it doesn't and shouldn't dictate an assimilation of all thoughts.

Someone who just wants a mark on their body won't share the same concern or interest as someone who wants a full body suit so they may not want to pay a reasonable price or an expensive price to just satisfy their desire. Educate the people who genuinely want to know. Let folks get bad tattoos if they want. It used to be that if you saw someone with a certain type of tattoo it was sometimes a form of communication. The style the content etc. So if I see someone with a cool tattoo that I like I might ask them who did it and if I just see someone who has lots of tattoos I might not even look twice. Because tattoos alone aren't what's going to signal me to a like minded person. So let's not try so hard to convert the unwilling. We need clear clues as to the message these folks are trying to send.

I say this as simply observing for the last 20+ years of getting tattooed and the last 10 of doing them.

There's still a good chance I'm confused or just full of shit but that's what I've noticed.

Dude. I think you need to take life, and yourself, a little less seriously.

I am passionate about the Topic of Tattoo and am seeking others of like mind, this forum seems like the right place for the subject. Again the "me" does not matter so much as the subject of discussion.

There's too much to type to explain the confusion over the mythology. Its not about tattooing being a subculture. Its about the various subcultures that get tattoos. You've had military, hot rod/kustom culture, bikers, punkers, greasers, juggalos, skinheads, thugs, etc.

Now that includes people who are just interested in tattoos as being the common thing. Usually in the other social groups or subcultures, you can see a trend of common interests. So now I think people are overly trying to impose ideas on other groups because of their own internal struggle to find a common interest across the board with other tattooed folks in a different social class or subculture. Even when there is overlap or other common interests among like minded individuals, it doesn't and shouldn't dictate an assimilation of all thoughts.

Someone who just wants a mark on their body won't share the same concern or interest as someone who wants a full body suit so they may not want to pay a reasonable price or an expensive price to just satisfy their desire. Educate the people who genuinely want to know. Let folks get bad tattoos if they want. It used to be that if you saw someone with a certain type of tattoo it was sometimes a form of communication. The style the content etc. So if I see someone with a cool tattoo that I like I might ask them who did it and if I just see someone who has lots of tattoos I might not even look twice. Because tattoos alone aren't what's going to signal me to a like minded person. So let's not try so hard to convert the unwilling. We need clear clues as to the message these folks are trying to send.

I say this as simply observing for the last 20+ years of getting tattooed and the last 10 of doing them.

There's still a good chance I'm confused or just full of shit but that's what I've noticed.

Thank you for your insight, I agree with many of your observations, as well as the unique level of chaos that enshrines the Tattoo Scene the various players involved and their motivation for acquiring Tattoos.

• 2 months later...

May I add input as a collector and not a tattoo artist.

Conversation is about give and take, you often thank for the feedback from others but just trod along the same mindset/ path. If you are looking for an informed educated discussion then reflect and react to the information being offered to you.

I will defend the tattoo artists I have worked with as being true professionals to my last breath. That is one of the reasons I am a patron of their work.

Can you share your tattoos? I am very curious to see the quality of them. Not in a mean spirited way, but I feel someone as passionate as yourself would put the highest quality work on. I am

Interested to see what this translates to.

I am also torn. I partly agree with your identification of tattooing and collectors being exclusionary (not all), but appreciate this sphere that wants to come

Together and change that with knowledge and acceptance. We need more like LST

Edit: I do believe the "me" matters in tattooing because it's an experience based activity, and I cannot speak to that which I have not yet experienced. (Assumptions being made by the vagaries I am reading)

People really put way too much thought into tattooing, these days. For some, more than ever these days, it is a scene. For some, it is a profession, some a hobby(collector or maker), and for some it is a way of life. My best advice, worry about what you do and let the rest fall where they may. If some asshole opens up down the street from your shop, be better and let the chips fall where they may. If someone walks into my shop, I use that chance to show them what my shop can do but I am not going around trying to solicit people to become "smarter" about tattoos. I work hard, I try to get better constantly and that has made a good life in this business for me. In fact, I know it has worked for quite a few tattooers. That's my 2 cents... Also, keep the government out of tattooing. Look at what they tried to do in DC when they got involved. No thanks.

@KeithReed

I feel like what is going on is a reaction to the image of those who are invested deeper than the "fad scene." I may be wrong and anyone feel free to correct me, but it seems that people want the image of the business/industry of tattoo to be perceived in a positive artistic way and the scratching aspect is ruining that.

I liken it to modding cars. I love to tune my cars, but it's frustrating when I am associated with some punk kid putting an exhaust on his car and pretending it is a Ferrari. Then I also don't compare to the people building top fuel drag cars for weekend sport.

Thoughts?