fix or cover-up?

Matthew Thomas

Don't know if this is helpful at all, but it has been a fun trip down memory lane for me. The progression of how my nautical star changed... Based on your drawing, I'd say that the thicker line would not make it look better, but there is still hope for making it better if it's in the hands of the right artist.

...so anything else you have to say along those lines will be in vain, but if you want to waste your energy, feel free.

Black can cover red.

Black it all in. Have a large solid black star. A year or so down the line, don't ask anyone what you can cover a black star with. Live with the solid black star the same as the 1000s of people who also didn't take my, or other tattooers advice. They probably have very happy lives right now.

Just because you're convinced that it can be fixed, that doesn't mean the resulting fix-job will look better than what you have.

I'd love to be a dick because this thread is 6 PAGES deep already but I won't. For future reference I'll just say:

As a rule of thumb, any coverup needs to be AT LEAST twice the size of the original tattoo. Meaning, a slightly smaller than palm-size tattoo would need at least a hand-sized tattoo to cover it if the original were light or open enough. In the case of dense geometric designs (ie: stars) you may need to go much larger. To cover what you have, you would need to get a full sleeve. Not an arm filled with tattoos, a full sleeve. Executed by someone who is competent with coverups. - Ask to see healed photos.

Or just get that bit of black thickened and swap one kind of wonky for another. Either way, life goes on.

Here's more arrogant words from someone who's just another stranger hammering at a keyboard:

Stubbornness is one of the greatest enemies of cover-ups and fixing tattoos.

I'm pretty sure no one cares about anything else I have to say, so I don't think it matters but I'm going to say something else anyway. I don't plan on making it a large solid black star and not adding anything else. But I'm also not going to do a full sleeve. I plan to re-work the star and fill it in black, but then I plan to add some other smaller colored stars between the points of this star. I may eventually add some words around it or above and beneath as well. I already have some words in mind, but gonna think on them for a couple months at least. I think it can be reworked and added to, rather than doing a full sleeve to cover what is almost but not quite a decent tattoo already.

- - - Updated - - -

But since "no one gives a shit" a la @Graeme, fk it.

- - - Updated - - -

Instead of words, I think I will have two slightly smaller stars coming down my arm.

If I were you, the first thing I'd do is show a little gratitude for the wealth of good and free advice you've just received from some very experienced and knowledgeable people -- including at least one world-class tattooer. See if she can fix it for free. Forget about it and get more tattoos from one of the many excellent artists in your area. Failing that, laser it, cover it with an awesome panther, chop off your arm for all I care, but honestly, why would we give a shit about what tattoo you end up with?

These are two other tattoos she has done on me recently, both of which I am happy with, both of which were done after the star and are covered by the $650.

So really, if you left this artist and never went back you wouldn't be forfeiting a $650 deposit, you would just lose what's remaining. So like $450 at most, right? You might be happier in the long run by just doing that.

Either way, I hope it works out and you're happy with the result.

PS: Since your one tattoo seems to indicate you are a person of faith, I recommend you check out my tumblr Better Christian Tattoos.

I think I'd build around what I had, a cover up will look bad, and based on the 3 tattoos I see, I'd consider asking if a different artist could tattoo my remaining money out, or maybe they could write you a check to get at least the star and the the date some laser treatment.

You're already stuck, you'd be foolish to let her tattoo you again.

post-6005-146168864717_thumb.jpg

Come on Matthew we all want to help you get better tattoos that you will be over the moon with. There are world class, highly respected tattooers that frequent these forums and a plethora of tattoo enthusiasts with a wealth of knowledge in the culture of tattoos. I can almost certainly tell you by adding more stars or text around your tattoo will not improve it but worsen what you have. If you are still unhappy with it after some TIME then laser treatments and/or a well executed cover up is your best bet to getting over the moon.

Well ultimately what's important to me is my opinion of my tattoo, not other people's. It may not look that bad to other people, but it looks terrible to me. Having a symmetrical star is more important than having a tattoo that I'm "over the moon" with, and I'm not going to spend a ton of money on laser treatments or a sleeve. The star will look better to me if it's fixed than if it's "not that bad" the way it is. I care way more how I feel about my tatts than how other people feel, regardless of how aesthetically pleasing others may or may not consider them. Also, I have ADD and borderline personality disorder, fwiw or fyi or whatever.

Allright, so I realize that I've upset some people with some of my comments here. I sincerely apologize for being a dick. I hope that you all will accept my apology. And to anyone who has said anything disrespectful or upsetting towards me, whether you feel the need to apologize or not, I forgive you. I now wash my hands of any negativity I may have put out here, caused others to feel, or otherwise brought upon myself. The drama is over.

No problem. We can be hard on newbies sometimes, but it's tough love. Hope you end up with something you're happy with -- and stick around, ya might learn something. We've had some really great success stories on here of people finding artists and getting terrific tattoos they may not have otherwise.

Within my area where I have the ability to travel and what I can currently afford to spend on tattoos, I'm happy with my current artist. Not every tattoo comes out looking spectacular and aesthetically pleasing to everyone who sees it, but I'm happy with decent looking tattoos, even if they are not perfect. Almost every one of my tattoos has some small imperfections that to me, make them all the more unique. It's the bigger more noticeable mistakes that bother me. Now if I had the money and could travel, I would go to Northern Liberty in Philly (only a couple hours from me and it's more the money holding me back because I'm not going to Philly to get something small), and I would get inked by Myke Chambers. For now, that's just a pipe dream though.

Trust me, if I ever get tatted by Myke, it's going to be the only thing I talk about for weeks at a minimum, lol. I have a lot of respect for Myke, not only because of his story and because he is a great artist, but I think he has a very positive attitude as well. He is humble and always trying to learn as much as he can. He travels all over the world just to learn more about tattooing, and he seems to want to stay humble and share his knowledge with others. I don't mean to sound like a groupie, I just like his work and his attitude so much.

I still have to convince the wife, who has only one tattoo and doesn't want me completely covered (non-conformity, it's my body, blah blah blah but she is my wife and she has to look at it too, plus I respect her feelings), but I did email Myke to find out his hourly rate and tell him what I want. I decided on an original design of his choosing on the back of one of my calves, though not sure which one. Depending on his hourly rate, I may have to wait till next year. But I will post back here if I am able to go through with it.

My good friend just got tattooed by myke 2 weeks ago and it turned out better than I could've imagined. Not only is he a super nice guy but an amazing artist. He is tough to get an appt with persistence paid off and now my buddy has an amazing half sleeve.

@Matthew Thomas these guys don't do the simplified version of traditional work like Myke,but their good none the less.

Adam works in Wind Gap@ Instagram

Joshua Ross Tattoo Artist

Tyler puts in a real clean tattoo@ Instagram

- - - Updated - - -

@Matthew Thomas these guys don't do the simplified version of traditional work like Myke,but their good none the less.

Adam works in Wind Gap@ Instagram

Joshua Ross Tattoo Artist

Tyler puts in a real clean tattoo@ Instagram

Forgot about this guy in Lancaster. http://instagram.com/brianvia

Black in your arm. Nobody here really gives much of a shit about the tattoos you get.

come on now!

- - - Updated - - -

This is a recent tattoo that I got. The inside star had already been there. The outer star was added later. The artist drew the outer star around the inner star with a pen. From my point of view, it looked fine. It was not until I saw a picture of it that I saw how asymmetrical it is. Should I ask the artist that did it to fix it (if it can be fixed), should I go to another artist and ask them to fix it (really don't want to spend more $$ on it and don't have any right now), or should I get it covered (can it be?). If I do ask the artist that did it to fix it, should I keep the red, or would it hide the mistakes better if I got it filled in all black? Really upset about this. The artist has done two other tatts on me and they've both come out fine. Located in lebanon, pa. Really need some good advice here.

- - - Updated - - -

Should I expect my artist to fix this for free? They already touched it up. I did notice one point of the star being bigger than the rest, but thought it was just some crazy swelling. I'm afraid my artist will get mad and ask me not to come back if I bring it up. I've put a deposit of $650 down for some other work and I can't afford to lose that deposit or go elsewhere at this point.

Is there a way to get a refund? Usually they will give you partial refunds especially if they didn't draw anything yet.

I see what you are talking about but there isn't too much you can do with it. I don't think you should go back to the same person. Even if you loose your deposit. is it worth it to go back and get another tattoo you are not happy with?

I don't know make up an excuse and see if he will give you back at least some of the money.

I know how expensive tattoos are but mistakes can be so much more costly . Just save up as much money as you can until you can afford a tattoo from artist that can accomplish what you are looking for.

where are you from btw?

Killercook76, I appreciate the fact that you are trying to help and give good advice. However, this same artist has already done two other tattoos on me, both of which I am completely happy with. I honestly do think that what counts the most about any tattoo is whether the person wearing it is happy with it. Otherwise, what is the point of getting a tattoo? Also, while some people would be willing to walk away from several hundred dollars, I am not willing to. I simply cannot do it. It has already been suggested several times in this thread, and I have already stated my unwillingness towards it. I'm starting to get a little bothered by people assuming that I won't be happy with anything this artist does, simply because they made one mistake. My artist has only been tattooing for 6 years. I am going to ask her to fix my star, fill it in all black, and add some other details around it, maybe some other stars, maybe something else. I did start this thread asking for advice and opinions from others, but my decision has been made. Once the star is evened out and filled in, I know I will be happy with it, even if no one else thinks it will look any better, it will look better to me, and that is ultimately what matters most to me. But I do thank you for trying to be helpful and understanding.

. Once the star is evened out and filled in, I know I will be happy with it, even if no one else thinks it will look any better, it will look better to me, and that is ultimately what matters most to me.

Good to hear you've come to a decision you know you'll be happy with. I hope it all works out for you.

ok cool!! yeah I do understand your situation but a nautical star is a somewhat simple design. I think that is why most people have that kind of advice.

It wouldn't hurt to at least talk it over with the artist. If he/she is reasonable then there shouldn't be a problem. Just be respectful and you should be fine . Don't ever be afraid to be honest with a tattoo artist . At the end of the day I'm sure they want you to be totally happy with your tattoo. NO?

Anyway hope it works out for you!!