Hi - Newbie from Ireland

Padji

Hi folks,

Long time lurker but first time poster. Have been learning plenty here since I started paying attention!!

Don;t have pics of all my tattoos so will obviously need to get that done asap. A quick run down of my tattoo history is as follows (in chronological order):

- Pair of wings by Sean (I think) in Zulu, Dublin (a typical first tattoo, I'll leave it at that...)

- 3/4 Japanese-style/koi sleeve by Jani in Wildcat, Dublin (again, in hindsight, probably should have been paying more attention/completed more research!)

- Sand timer/roses on inside of bicep by Tyler James Densley in Seven Seas, San Diego

- Latin Script by Kris Magnotti, Adorned NYC

- Half sleeve on outside of arm by Ross Nagle at Allstar, Limerick. An owl on top of a heart with blood and webbing.

- Gramophone on outside forearm by Kim Anh Nguyen in Salon Serpant, Amsterdam

- Sugar skull/raven/panther head with roses on inside of forearm by Ross Nagle at Allstar, Limerick

At the minute, I only have pics of my 2 Ross Nagle pieces. The Tyler James Densley piece is blurred out in the first pic. The top of the sugar skull looks a little distorted in the 2nd pic because of the stretch in my arm.

The Kim Anh piece is on her Instagram, is there any way I can get that across to here?

OwlPiece-RossNagle_zpse6168530.jpg

20131219_182742_zpsk7jruhqv.jpg

20131219_182750_zpsixtrkhzc.jpg

Welcome @Padji

To get the Instagram picture you could always screen cap it and the edit the picture, cropping out whatever you don't want. There may be an easier way but I'm a technological illiterate.

Who are some of the best artists in and around Dublin??

Paul Aherne in Spilled Ink would be my pick for Japanese, traditional or most street shop type bits and pieces.

Classic Ink in Temple Bar has Tommy (Triple T) who, I'm told, has a lot of history with some tattooing legends like Bob Roberts, Freddy Corbin etc. his traditional style is very very old school. Also does some nice script and fine line black and grey. Interesting shop to look in on, a lot of hand painted flash on the walls.

There are a few reputable realistic black and grey / colour realism guys in Dublin but it's not my thing and can't really recommend anyone.

Frankly, the best tattoo shop in the country, by a country mile, is Ross Nagle's AllStar in Limerick. The footfall of guest artists through there is unparalelled. It's worth getting the train or driving down to.

Chris Crooks is a train ride away in Belfast. Long waiting list but his 'new school' Japanese is very popular here now. His shop White Dragon also has guests like Yang and Ching from East Tattoo come through also, worth a look for oriental style tattooing.

Luckily London and other Ryanair destinations are also on out doorstep.

Nice stuff! I dig the spider web as a shoulder cap rather than an elbow piece, it fills the awkward spot nicely

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Ross actually talked me into the webbing. I wasn't totally sold on the idea at first I have to say but delighted I agreed in the end, it fills off the piece perfectly

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

Welcome! Cool tattoos! I'm getting tattooed by Kim in May, her work is amazing! ...So many exclamations!

I love Kim's work and a real cool person too. I'm definitely getting a lady head from her.

Salon Serpant is a seriously brilliant shop. I'm actually thinking of asking Kim and Guen to do a collab on me of my parents with Kim doing the lady head and Guen the man head, I think she does cool men.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome mate! Very nice pieces.
@Padji Warm welcome to LST! I did that sugar skull piece.

Thanks folks:D

Welcome @Padji

To get the Instagram picture you could always screen cap it and the edit the picture, cropping out whatever you don't want. There may be an easier way but I'm a technological illiterate.

Paul Aherne in Spilled Ink would be my pick for Japanese, traditional or most street shop type bits and pieces.

Classic Ink in Temple Bar has Tommy (Triple T) who, I'm told, has a lot of history with some tattooing legends like Bob Roberts, Freddy Corbin etc. his traditional style is very very old school. Also does some nice script and fine line black and grey. Interesting shop to look in on, a lot of hand painted flash on the walls.

There are a few reputable realistic black and grey / colour realism guys in Dublin but it's not my thing and can't really recommend anyone.

Frankly, the best tattoo shop in the country, by a country mile, is Ross Nagle's AllStar in Limerick. The footfall of guest artists through there is unparalelled. It's worth getting the train or driving down to.

Chris Crooks is a train ride away in Belfast. Long waiting list but his 'new school' Japanese is very popular here now. His shop White Dragon also has guests like Yang and Ching from East Tattoo come through also, worth a look for oriental style tattooing.

Luckily London and other Ryanair destinations are also on out doorstep.

I'm definitely more computer illiterate than you cuz I don't know what you mean!!

As for artists i Dublin, Rory has pretty much taken the words out of my mouth. I'm hoping to pop into Paul Ahearne tomorrow to have a chat on a little filler piece. Ross recommends Tommy in Classic Ink, I called in one day to have a chat with him but he wasn't around so can't comment personally.

There are a couple of guys in Skin City (if they're still there) which seem to put out great work, Remis and Pawel. They seem to be more realism/Japanese but quality is known to be good.

Chris Crooks in Belfast is awesome. If I was getting a large scale Japanese piece, he'd be first on the list.

@Padji

I'm definitely more computer illiterate than you cuz I don't know what you mean!!

Ha ha, OK...

So say you're looking at the picture on Instagram. You can take a screenshot of what you're seeing by pressing the home and sleep buttons simultaneously ( How to take a screenshot with the iPhone | iMore ). The picture you've taken will appear in your camera roll on the phone. When you open it up it's possible to select 'edit' and then a few options will appear along the bottom of the screen. The icon on the bottom right is 'crop photo' and that should allow you to trim out whatever you don't want in the photo. Save the new picture when you're done, and bob's your uncle, you have a picture to upload if you want.

As for artists i Dublin, Rory has pretty much taken the words out of my mouth. I'm hoping to pop into Paul Ahearne tomorrow to have a chat on a little filler piece. Ross recommends Tommy in Classic Ink, I called in one day to have a chat with him but he wasn't around so can't comment personally.

Chris Crooks in Belfast is awesome. If I was getting a large scale Japanese piece, he'd be first on the list.

We're on the same page then...! Paul helped me out with a touch up on my elbow before, he's a nice guy.

I was going to say that there are a lot of dubious tattoo shops in Dublin (seems like the number of shops has reached epidemic proportions lately), and that really there probably isn't a great concept of what is 'good tattooing' among the general public... But you could probably say that about anywhere. Even when you go to somewhere like London or NYC where there's a really well developed tattoo scene with world-class artists you can still turn the corner and find a shop which is mutilating people.

I really like the owl tattoo (You actually have no idea how obsessed I am with owls, lol)

Funny enough someone recommended Ros in stab city to me in my intro thread, so it's nice to see someone with his work on them!

I really like the piece he did, they look great on ya!

Oh, and ofcourse welcome and hi and all that stuff :)

Thanks E.

Definitely check in with Allstar and keep an eye on their guest lists. As Rory says, they regularly have some great artists the throughout the year. Unfortunately, timing hasn't been great for me in seeing some of the guests.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, about time I updated this and get the rest of my pics up.

First 3 are of the Gramaphone from Kim Anh Nguyen in Amsterdam, with the last two being healed/recent shots. Salon Serpant is a fantastic shop and I'm doing my best to convince the OH to go back there as I'd love a lady head from Kim, a man head from Guen Douglas and something weird from Susanne Konig!

All recent pics are taken off the phone by a hungover and less than cooperative OH so forgive the crappy pics!

photo_zpsquzbif86.png

20140329_114809_zps3725146b.jpg

530895b1-1ee1-440d-bae2-2047a97e6280_zps671548ee.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Script is from Kris Magnotti, done in NY Adorned in 2010. Went to NYC with our football team and we had a few hectic nights before I got this so I really was not in the right frame of mind getting this done on the ribs! Great shop and would love to get more work by Kris.

20140329_114728_zps88a21454.jpg

Inner bicep done by Tyler James Densely in Seven Seas San Diego, probably around 2007/8. Real nice guy. Tattoo wraps around the fron of the arm so hard to get a good pic.

20140329_114756_zps7a41f34a.jpg

20140329_114743_zps964ab3b4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Last pic is of my 3/4 sleeve. Finished by Jani in Wildcat Dublin. I get the work started by another artist and really wasn't happy with the work so, in fairness to Jani, it limited his ability to put his own stamp on it. What I would do to turn back time and get a sleeve from Mike Rubendall!! Ah well...

Don't mind the ugly scar from my shoulder surgery.

20140329_114823_zps6f3632d7.jpg

20140329_114830_zpsd93c839b.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, closer to having the sleeve finished. A cool little rose filler from Paul O'Rourke done at Love Hate in Cork, Ireland. Great shop and Paul is a gentleman. Would like a Navajo piece from him down the line; he's really banging out some great stuff these dayspost-36194-146168875623_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk