hope this is the right place for it looking for a complete tattoo terms sticky etc.

Tuchaka

Did a lot of searching on this website and on the web in general, and could not find what i am looking for, i found a lot of what makes a good tattoo....what makes a good artist....what are general tattoo terms ( slang for things related to tattoo'ing )etc...

I found everything except what i am looking for there are terms i hear enthusiasts and artists using like negative space, dimension blowouts etc. now i can look up a bunch of these words in the dictionary but the answer might not be related to tattoo'ing at all. What i am

looking for is the terms artists use to describe why certain techniques are used to create a 'good' tattoo. The reason i am asking is so i can go into a tattoo shop and discuss what type of tattoo i want and actually understand what the heck the artist is talking about. So is

there a sticky somewhere someone can point me to ?

In short i really wanna be able to discuss the subject intelligently and understand why there are things that customers ask for that won't come out well because the tattoo won't read well from a distance etc.

If i am not making sense lemme know :)

Ya i have talked to the artist i am gonna see through email and gave examples of the general 'types' of work i am interested in with some pretty broad strokes, thx for the help i will post some terms here i am curious what they mean after i get a list together, my inner nerd likes to do lots of research on subjects before i jump in :)

• 2 weeks later...

The following rating system will help you become familiar with common art terms as they relate to tattoos and hopefully better communicate your ideas...

The Tattoo Rating System:

This Tattoo rating system, rates the common elements, which are present in both color or black and white tattoo designs, regardless of style. The design elements principles, we are examining, describe fundamental ideas and aspects about the practice of good visual design. The Principles of design can be thought of as what artists do to the elements of design. How an Artist applies the Principles of design determines how successful they are in creating a work of art.

Rating Scale:

To provide your rating, one is to provide a numerical rating of each Tattoo Design Element, on a given a scale from zero to ten, where 10 is best or perfect, for extremely rare cases, a higher rank can be denoted such as eleven, while an extreme bottom score would be "zero" 0. Also one can provide comments about each rating area, if there is something that deserves further feedback.

The Design Elements which will be reviewed are:

• Tattoo Design Element (1): Over all first impressions – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Design Element (2): Line work, clean breaks and edges – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Design Element (3): Gradients – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Design Element (4): Saturation – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Design Element (5): Fit to Form – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Artistic Design Element (6): Over all Artistic Composition – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Artistic Design Element (7): Harmony, Unity and Dominance – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Artistic Design Element (8 ): Contrast – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Artistic Design Element (9): Texture – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Artistic Design Element (10): Design Balance – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

here is the link to the full review:

How to Rate and Review any Tattoo

@Tuchaka I'm sorry man, but that "rating" system posted above you is bullocks. It seems we have had a great deal of bullocks on this board lately. You can't deduce a tattoo's quality down to those elements. Mostly you just need to look at clean lines and solid application. Trying to scientifically deduce it to separate elements based on "ratings" isn't going to get you anywhere. Use your judgement, read a book on art, etc etc. Tattoos are supposed to have a little bit of soul in them. They are not mechanical and they cannot be reduced to a 0-10 rating.

This was the first book I had to purchase when I was in university, I'm not saying it's bulletproof, but it'll be more advisable than the above:

http://www.amazon.com/Design-Basics-Multimedia-Edition-ArtExperience/dp/0495128457/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1395351100&sr=8-4&keywords=design+basics

@Tuchaka I'm sorry man, but that "rating" system posted above you is bullocks. It seems we have had a great deal of bullocks on this board lately. You can't deduce a tattoo's quality down to those elements. Mostly you just need to look at clean lines and solid application. Trying to scientifically deduce it to separate elements based on "ratings" isn't going to get you anywhere. Use your judgement, read a book on art, etc etc. Tattoos are supposed to have a little bit of soul in them. They are not mechanical and they cannot be reduced to a 0-10 rating.

Not to mention you need to have an understanding of those principles in order to actually assess them...not very helpful for a beginner.

WTF? Now I know everything...Right?

The following rating system will help you become familiar with common art terms as they relate to tattoos and hopefully better communicate your ideas...

The Tattoo Rating System:

This Tattoo rating system, rates the common elements, which are present in both color or black and white tattoo designs, regardless of style. The design elements principles, we are examining, describe fundamental ideas and aspects about the practice of good visual design. The Principles of design can be thought of as what artists do to the elements of design. How an Artist applies the Principles of design determines how successful they are in creating a work of art.

Rating Scale:

To provide your rating, one is to provide a numerical rating of each Tattoo Design Element, on a given a scale from zero to ten, where 10 is best or perfect, for extremely rare cases, a higher rank can be denoted such as eleven, while an extreme bottom score would be "zero" 0. Also one can provide comments about each rating area, if there is something that deserves further feedback.

The Design Elements which will be reviewed are:

• Tattoo Design Element (1): Over all first impressions – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Design Element (2): Line work, clean breaks and edges – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Design Element (3): Gradients – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Design Element (4): Saturation – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Design Element (5): Fit to Form – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Artistic Design Element (6): Over all Artistic Composition – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Artistic Design Element (7): Harmony, Unity and Dominance – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Artistic Design Element (8 ): Contrast – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Artistic Design Element (9): Texture – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

• Tattoo Artistic Design Element (10): Design Balance – (Rating from 0 -10) and or Notes.

here is the link to the full r

How to Rate and Review any Tattoo