Man tattoos his dog

ironchef

Every now and then one of these stories pops up, and I can't understand why anyone would even want to do this. Is it supposed to be funny? For attention? For fashion? Just...why? Why can't you just put clothes on your animals like a normal psycho? As far as the "it was done under anesthesia" argument, that doesn't mean jack shit. Just read the thread where we complain about healing tattoos to see the pain and discomfort doesn't stop as soon as the needle does. It's one thing to give a dog a small tattoo for ID purposes, but this is just dumb and cruel.

Seeking attention is the answer, there's not much other explanation.

I agree that it's dumb, but I don't think it's especially cruel. If I were a dog, I'd far rather get a tattoo under anesthesia than get my testicles removed, or have my tail or ears cropped, or have to wear a collar that shocked/sprayed me when I barked, or to struggle to breathe because breeders designed my face to be squished over the years.

Any of those things could be considered far more cruel than a stupid tattoo that will just be itchy in less than a week.

^ I'm against all those too (except for neutering, which has more positive than negative effects...I still felt bad for doing it to my dog). The dog also runs the risk of infection while the tattoo's healing. Regardless of where it ranks on the cruelty scale, tattooing an animal for your own selfish reasons is totally lacking benefit to the animal and is causing it unecessary pain.

I see where everyone's coming from with this, especially in regards to the healing aspect of it. However, with the amount of people that I personally know to have purchased dogs from puppy mills and breeders coming out exclaiming how this is some cruel and heartless act and he should be put to death and yada yada yada, I can't really take very many people seriously when they get up in arms about this.

Why is this any more cruel than a dog in a shelter having to be put down instead of rescued because someone wanted to have a name brand dog or because Mr. Macho didn't want to have his dog neutered?

I see where everyone's coming from with this, especially in regards to the healing aspect of it. However, with the amount of people that I personally know to have purchased dogs from puppy mills and breeders coming out exclaiming how this is some cruel and heartless act and he should be put to death and yada yada yada, I can't really take very many people seriously when they get up in arms about this.

Why is this any more cruel than a dog in a shelter having to be put down instead of rescued because someone wanted to have a name brand dog or because Mr. Macho didn't want to have his dog neutered?

Just cause problem #2 is more messed up than problem #1, does not mean that problem #1 is not messed up...

• 3 weeks later...