MsRad

First time I went to Japan was 1989 I think, I was in high school & I had some family there, went for 2 weeks.

I returned to tattoo in 2001, and since have made 7 more trips, the last one was in 2008, might be going back this year with the guys I work with (Taku's still getting tattooed, Adam has never been)

BTW there are many tattooers who know way more about this than I do, and these are just my opinions, not facts.

If people want to know about how Japanese tattoo families generally work, Taki's "Bushido" is a pretty good primer on it, there's also this really good book called "A History of Japanese Bodysuit Tattooing" that I think is the best book in english on the subject, as it's REALLY comprehensive.

this is important in general in Japan, but really controls tattoo stuff in my experience:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senpai_and_kōhai

"Senpai," Another Protector in Japan

and this (Dari)

Honne and tatemae

Okay, well I'm sure you already know this (I don't know from when, few years ago) but horiyoshi III doesn't use the stick anymore only machine. He also won't take any new customers, only finishing old work. I heard his son has started tattooing, but I don't know much about it. So Adams tattoo won't be from horiyoshi III.

When you do come here, and if you have time I would really like to meet you. Please tell me when you will be here.

Okay, well I'm sure you already know this (I don't know from when, few years ago) but horiyoshi III doesn't use the stick anymore only machine. He also won't take any new customers, only finishing old work. I heard his son has started tattooing, but I don't know much about it. So Adams tattoo won't be from horiyoshi III.

thanks for the tip

Like most tattooers, I think Horiyoshi tattoos who he wants, and doesn't tattoo anyone he doesn't want to tattoo. I also know that, as of Taku's last trip to Japan, Horiyoshi was still doing some color by hand, at his discretion. I've spent a good amount of time with him, and it's my opinion that when he decides to do his final tattoo, it'll be done partially by hand. I think it's part of his soul, and he'll never give it up totally.

again, just my opinions, what do I know?

Wow, Bryan. That was fucking amazing!!!

Thank you, sir!!!

We should have more Bryan here on LST any minute now. He was supposed to be one of the first videos posted here on LST, but Juan Puente intentionally sabotaged our efforts. Our fab tech guy, Steve, was finally able to unscramble the fruit of Juan's evil intentions, and it will be up later this week for your viewing pleasure.

I love this thread, so much! all the information everyone has contributed has been great reading. japan has such a special place in my heart, but when i went it was with a Christian Missions group in 2005 so even though i got to see the cities and stay with some very nice people i wasnt exposed to night life or drinking or anything that would be considered a sin!! i have since become less of an uptight set in my ways Christian and just started experiencing life and i cant wait to go back and really see japan. i really loved the episode of Permanent Mark where he travels back to japan to get his handpoked tattoo from the yakuza. it blew my mind to see what night life is really like! heres a link to the episode i was talkin about: http://www.spike.com/full-episode/tokyo/41615

• 5 months later...

I realise this thread has sort of died, but incase anyone wants to see what a Sento looks like here are some photos. My friends Grandpa operated the bath house until the area got a built up and a bit more modern (houses started to get their own baths) and closed it. Its still connected to his house though and thats where we showered.

His grandson (my mate) mentioned to me that his grandpa was the only sento owner in the area that would let Yakuza in since most of them where his friends since childhood. I wish I could get copies of some of his old photos!

I'll be back in Osaka/Kyoto in 3 weeks to visit The Cat Claw Tattoo-z so I'll try and get copies of Grandpas' old yakuza photos. Photo 3 is the 'Male side' of the bath house (sorry for the bad light)

*Side Story

During the Edo period, fireman would get body suits of water motifs such as Dragons and Koi as the belief was these designs would protect them from the spirit of the fire. It was also believed that as the group of fireman would run towards the fire screaming, half naked (in traditional Japanese cloth underwear) covered in formidable tattoos, that the fire spirit would be intimidated and thus easier to overcome. Apparently limited clothing was worn to try and avoid catching on fire. (It probably would suck)

(this info is only from what I have read and since I wasn't there can not be confirmed or denied by myself)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This post remind me of a story of a girl that loves her Jewish boyfriend, so she went and get a tattoo done “I love David” in Hebrew, for his birthday. She went and used online translation and got it done

On the birthday her boyfriend translated in English “this translation is not operational”

I suggest to use human Japanese translation before you get your tattoo made :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...