LST Animal Lovers

Hands On

I wonder how many here are tipping towards this. ;-)

Crazy cat guy... - The Meta Picture

Oh God. Its true. I've recently moved to a large warehouse loft and my first thought was that I could build kitty-infrastructure like that. I may have to hit the hardware store on the way home.

We are ridiculous. Our littlest cat was scared by a bug the other night. His tail went all poofy and my wife and I went rushing over to console him. Over a bug. A small bug.

Sigh.

Oh God. Its true. I've recently moved to a large warehouse loft and my first thought was that I could build kitty-infrastructure like that. I may have to hit the hardware store on the way home.

We are ridiculous. Our littlest cat was scared by a bug the other night. His tail went all poofy and my wife and I went rushing over to console him. Over a bug. A small bug.

Sigh.

He's speaks truth - I am not (ok a little) ashamed. But this little guy was scared - how could you not want to cuddle him!

This is my boy, Leo. Today is a very important day for Leo - it is his 1 year anniversary for being off insulin. He was diagnosed with diabetes in August 2012 and we started a tight regulation protocol that has a high success rate in "curing" diabetes in cats. Cats are the only creatures that can be cured. The protocol is very intense - shooting higher doses of insulin, testing blood glucose on average 6-8 times a day (ear sticks) and being available to feed different carb amounts of food, and squirting honey when needed during potential hypoglycemic events. The goal is to keep the cat at the bottom end of normal glucose values to let the pancreas heal. If the protocol is started within about 6 months of diagnosis, there is about a 70% success rate.

We spent 9 months of hell getting him off the juice. I never slept more than 4 hours in a row, was up multiple times a night testing, sometimes up all night surfing him on honey when his pancreas unexpectedly sputtered out some insulin to compound the insulin I'd just shot into him. We had some scary nail-biting nights, but it was all worth it. He's off insulin and back to being a normal cat. He only eats low carb food, but other than that, we saved a furry little life.

Diabetic cats are often put to sleep by owners who don't know their glucose can be regulated and that they can live long lives, even on insulin. Most vets don't know cats can be cured.

(BTW - he's an indoor cat now.)

2011-09-10+Leo_800_002.jpg

We spent 9 months of hell getting him off the juice. I never slept more than 4 hours in a row, was up multiple times a night testing, sometimes up all night surfing him on honey when his pancreas unexpectedly sputtered out some insulin to compound the insulin I'd just shot into him. We had some scary nail-biting nights, but it was all worth it. He's off insulin and back to being a normal cat. He only eats low carb food, but other than that, we saved a furry little life.

That is some serious dedication, right there.

@beez - I love your "Selfie w/dog" :D ...you match!!

@Zillah - Your bun pics literally made me exclaim "Oh my god" aloud.

@SeeSea - You are an inspirational pet guardian.

@TrixieFaux - Tomo-kitty update?

This is Mirka the Wonderpup. She is submissive "smiling" because I had just found a chewed up piece of cotton pad that she swiped from the kitchen table while I was out. She started doing it as soon as I saw it. People who say that they don't remember when they were naughty or won't know why you are chastising them are soooo wrong! Sneaky-sneaks!