LST Animal Lovers

Hands On

Holy crap, that is a cute puppy!
Thanks. She is the definition of a mutt but she is pretty awesome. The mom is a beagle/bassett hound/some sort of pitbull mix (that is where the short legs come from) and the dad is a Shar Pei (she has his curly tail). The only one that came out of the litter with predominantly Shar Pei features was the one male. This is a picture of the male and our puppy about a week after we got her when we took her back to visit.

Thanks. She is the definition of a mutt but she is pretty awesome. The mom is a beagle/bassett hound/some sort of pitbull mix (that is where the short legs come from) and the dad is a Shar Pei (she has his curly tail). The only one that came out of the litter with predominantly Shar Pei features was the one male. This is a picture of the male and our puppy about a week after we got her when we took her back to visit.

CUTE BUTTS! Haha

We are adopting a puppy this weekend, and she is a true mutt. Mom is some type of dachshund mix, but looks more like a beagle/shepherd mix with a dachshund face. And dad is nowhere to be found (typical man... lol). However, the puppies look like some combination of shepherd/dachsund/terrier mix. Maybe even pug or boxer... crazy. Apparently she only gained a pound in the last week, but her paws are a little large... we will have to wait and see what she turns into!

CUTE BUTTS! Haha

We are adopting a puppy this weekend, and she is a true mutt. Mom is some type of dachshund mix, but looks more like a beagle/shepherd mix with a dachshund face. And dad is nowhere to be found (typical man... lol). However, the puppies look like some combination of shepherd/dachsund/terrier mix. Maybe even pug or boxer... crazy. Apparently she only gained a pound in the last week, but her paws are a little large... we will have to wait and see what she turns into!

It is kind of the same thing with ours. She is getting larger but her height is the same. Even the vet basically said that it would be crap shoot as far as size is concerned. We took her at 7 weeks (we had her a week at that point) and she was 6.5 lbs. I took her back three weeks later for some more puppy shots and she was almost 12 lbs. I have to take her back next Friday so I will be interested to see how much weight she has gained since her last check up.

It is kind of the same thing with ours. She is getting larger but her height is the same. Even the vet basically said that it would be crap shoot as far as size is concerned. We took her at 7 weeks (we had her a week at that point) and she was 6.5 lbs. I took her back three weeks later for some more puppy shots and she was almost 12 lbs. I have to take her back next Friday so I will be interested to see how much weight she has gained since her last check up.

Interesting! Apparently our puppy was 5 lbs when they rescued her at 7-8 weeks old. Now a week later, she has only gained a pound. So I'm hoping she stays in the 20-30 lb range.

I did some research and apparently you can kind of guesstimate weight if you know if the dog is a small, medium or large breed...

Small:

Take the weight of small or toy mixed-breed puppies and double their weight at 6 weeks. Take the total and double again. This is about what the puppy will weigh as an adult. For example, if your puppy weighs 2 pounds at six weeks, double it to get 4 pounds and then double again to get 8 pounds.

Medium:

Take the weight of your medium to large mixed-breed puppy at 14 weeks and multiple it by 2. Halve the weight of your puppy at 14 weeks and add it to the total of the weight at 14 weeks multiplied by 2. For example, if your puppy weighs 20 pounds at 14 weeks multiple 20 by 2 to get 40 pounds. Add 10 pounds (1/2 of 20) to the 40 pounds. Your puppy's adult weight will be about 50 pounds.

Large:

Take the weight of your giant mixed-breed puppy at 6 months and double it. For example: if your puppy weighs 60 pounds at 6 months his adult weight will be about 120 pounds.

I know with large breed dogs, they tend to double their weight each week, so as long as the dog is growing a few pounds each week, it probably wont blow up to some massive sized dog.

Sadness and woe! I took my new puppy in for her second check-up and first round of shots and got some expensive news. :(

Her eyelids roll inward and as a result hair is irritating her eyes. It'll require surgery. The only good part is that as long as it doesn't cause infection in the meantime the surgery can wait until she gets spayed to kill two birds with one stone.

Also, seeking advice on rear dewclaws. Info online is mixed. I despise removing random bits for no reason, but some people say the dewclaws are an injury risk so I'm unsure.

I've seen firsthand that they are functional on front paws but I've never had a dog have them on the rear before this so any input on that is appreciated. :)

I saw this on FB today and it made me cry. The picture alone should just melt anyone with a soul. Yes, I am a complete sucker for the animals - I am owned by my cats.

https://www.facebook.com/southernoregonhumane/photos/a.119308142503.100524.113353777503/10151949017917504/?type=1&theater

Love it! Any animal I get in the future will definitely be a rescue.

I love Ella!!!!!!!! Want to kiss that little nose so bad!!!!!

We have been having a nice time with Daisy since the weather got warmer. Here she is, stoked on the return of long talks in the park. She is the best. I love her absurd ears.

Has she piled her ears up on top of her head to make a spring bonnet?

I've never figured out how cats seem to magically become pieces of lead when one tries to move a contented cat from a lap. Calvin puts on about 40 pounds when I try to move.

Or when they decide to plop down on the keyboard while you are trying to type. That is a big favourite in this house.