Hello from New York - Some advice needed

thatairforceguy21

Hey everybody, the name's Victor... I'm new to the forums, and I'd like some advice. So I only have 1 tattoo and it's pretty mediocre, to say the least. So I'm looking to get my second tattoo, but I'm pretty nervous about choosing the right place. I stopped at Three Kings Tattoos in Brooklyn, and I absolutely love the vibe and the artist I'm going to hopefully work with. I just want to know if there's any place you would suggest (if you've gotten a tattoo in NY) over the place I have chosen. Attached is a piece done by Alex from Three Kings, and I'm going for something very similar. Instead of the skull, I'm doing a "wolf in sheep's clothing" theme. Any thoughts on his art or any advice is highly appreciated!

Oh, and I emailed Last Rites and I'm awaiting a response. Thanks a bunch for any advice guys, and I hope to remain on these forums for a long time. :cool:

Three Kings is a great choice. I haven't been tattooed there personally, but I have been tattooed a bunch by Ron Wells who is a frequent guest there, and I have friends who have been tattooed by Myles Karr and they have nothing but good things to say (and the tattoos are nice too). I'd love to get tattooed by Daniel Trocchio and Matt Bivetto so I'm sure that I'll get tattooed there on a future trip to NYC. You'll get a great tattoo from there, and if you're getting a good vibe from the shop, even better.

Personally, in NYC I've been tattooed at Saved and Smith Street and I'll recommend those shops as well.

Three Kings is a great choice. I haven't been tattooed there personally, but I have been tattooed a bunch by Ron Wells who is a frequent guest there, and I have friends who have been tattooed by Myles Karr and they have nothing but good things to say (and the tattoos are nice too). I'd love to get tattooed by Daniel Trocchio and Matt Bivetto so I'm sure that I'll get tattooed there on a future trip to NYC. You'll get a great tattoo from there, and if you're getting a good vibe from the shop, even better.

Personally, in NYC I've been tattooed at Saved and Smith Street and I'll recommend those shops as well.

I've heard great things about Saved Tattoo as well. As for Three Kings, it will probably be my next destination for a tattoo. I'm almost positive I want Alex McWatt to do my tattoo, because he seems to have the style I'm looking for. photo%201.jpg This is a back piece he did, which I think is extremely sick.

Alex does real nice work,but I think his color work is better than his b&g work.If you want it in b&g Matt @ kings Ave Tattoo does very nice b&g work,and he just started working there,so he's probably not booked up that long.

Instagram

Well that's another question of mine... I was thinking of having it done in color, but I'm not sure what would look best. In your opinion, what do you think I should do? I have a b&g tattoo already and I like it, but I was feeling color would be a good idea with this one.. Or b&g with only the eyes of the wolf colored.

Alex does real nice work,but I think his color work is better than his b&g work.If you want it in b&g Matt @ kings Ave Tattoo does very nice b&g work,and he just started working there,so he's probably not booked up that long.

Instagram

At Three Kings for b&g how about Dan Albrigo and Dan Trocchio ?

NYC has so many good artists it's difficult to choose. The guys at Last Rites have a lot of really good realism in their portfolios. I see a lot of traditional work on Three Kings Instagram, but they have artists on staff doing other styles too.

I'm new to tattoos and I like researching portfolios. In addition to color vs black & grey, artists here seem to focus on a particular style and even within that style, some artists do certain subjects very well and surprisingly other subjects I don't like. Tattoos of faces for example. Maybe I just have unique tastes with women's faces.

Since you like the artists wolf tattoo and it is similar to what you want, seems like you've already made a good choice.

NYC has so many good artists it's difficult to choose. The guys at Last Rites have a lot of really good realism in their portfolios. I see a lot of traditional work on Three Kings Instagram, but they have artists on staff doing other styles too.

I'm new to tattoos and I like researching portfolios. In addition to color vs black & grey, artists here seem to focus on a particular style and even within that style, some artists do certain subjects very well and surprisingly other subjects I don't like. Tattoos of faces for example. Maybe I just have unique tastes with women's faces.

Since you like the artists wolf tattoo and it is similar to what you want, seems like you've already made a good choice.

Yea I figured due to the fact that he's done something very similar already to what I want, I almost can't go wrong. But I will absolutely try other places, ESPECIALLY Last Rites. Their pieces are damn near perfect every time.