Hello! I'm new here

SkateboardingManiac

Hey, my name is Olivier from Montreal, Canada. I'm a skateboarder, and that's my main hobby. Watch a lot of skate videos, I take a close look at my favourite skaters tats, that's where I get my appreciation from. I've really been into tattoos since an early age of 13. I'm 15 now, and hope to gain about 2 years of experience on this website before I get my first tattoo at 17. I have a question, how do I convince my mother about getting tattoos and that people with tattoos aren't bad people.

Thank you!

-Olivier

Hey, my name is Olivier from Montreal, Canada. I'm a skateboarder, and that's my main hobby. Watch a lot of skate videos, I take a close look at my favourite skaters tats, that's where I get my appreciation from. I've really been into tattoos since an early age of 13. I'm 15 now, and hope to gain about 2 years of experience on this website before I get my first tattoo at 17. I have a question, how do I convince my mother about getting tattoos and that people with tattoos aren't bad people.

Thank you!

-Olivier

Showing patience and maturity are your best bet. Enjoy window shopping for the next few years.

If you are a solid person and you are doing well, hopefully your parents won't mind when you start getting tattooed. I got a lot of inspiration to start getting tattooed by seeing older skaters getting them, I love Brian Andersons tattoos hes got a lot of cool stuff. Who are some of your favorite tattooed skateboarders if you don't mind me asking?

Welcome! I completely agree with @BrianH about showing patience and maturity. I don't think there's a legal minimum age to get tattooed in Montreal, but keep in mind that the good shops are probably not going to tattoo under 18s, and it's worth waiting to get tattooed by a good artist at a good place.

As far as convincing your mother that people with tattoos aren't bad people, that completely depends on your mother, but the Art Tattoo Show Montreal at the start of September at the Gare Windsor might be worth checking out as there's a lot of excellent tattooing going on there and you can talk to tattooers and tattooed people and see that we're pretty much just regular people despite our outward appearances.

I've been tattooed at PSC (Tony), Tattoomania (Bert who is maybe working in a private studio now?), and Tatouage Artistique (Danny) and I like all those shops. I travel a lot to get tattooed as well. Dave at PSC is starting my full back this summer. My wife has also been tattooed at Pol (Reb) and MTL Tattoo (Eilo) and she got really nice tattoos there. Imago does really nice work too. I've seen a couple of really nice sleeves over the past few months that were done by Nat who tattoos there. If you're on Instagram, a lot of those people have accounts and they're worth following to see what they're doing.

Man, if I'd found this place when I was a teenager...(if it had even existed)...I'd have the most freakin' awesome tattoos EVER. But I'd prob be out of space. Wait....my tattoos rule!! Take that, teen Val! But really...I found LST two years ago; and my tattoo knowledge has increased exponentially - much more than the previous decade. But that hard won knowledge from the previous decade set me up to really appreciate what I was looking at and the incredible resource that is LST. So @SkateboardingManiac - listen to @Graeme and watch those shows. Read the forum, immerse yourself in the art and soul of tattoo - and then, when it's time, get tattooed and be stoked. Woo!

• 2 weeks later...
No problem, and I'd also recommend watching the artist interview videos on this site, Vice's Tattoo Age series, and the Gypsy Gentleman videos because they'll give you insight into the people making tattoos, and there are some great tattoos and great stories in them.

I do watch Tattoo Age :)

Man, if I'd found this place when I was a teenager...(if it had even existed)...I'd have the most freakin' awesome tattoos EVER. But I'd prob be out of space. Wait....my tattoos rule!! Take that, teen Val! But really...I found LST two years ago; and my tattoo knowledge has increased exponentially - much more than the previous decade. But that hard won knowledge from the previous decade set me up to really appreciate what I was looking at and the incredible resource that is LST. So @SkateboardingManiac - listen to @Graeme and watch those shows. Read the forum, immerse yourself in the art and soul of tattoo - and then, when it's time, get tattooed and be stoked. Woo!

Thank you!