Tattoos and Piercings?

Jnvlv

I know this a tattoo forum but a while back I asked my hairstylist, who has several tattoos, if he would ever get a piercing and he said NO WAY!!!

I just thought it was funny how he went through all that and it's permanent on his skin but he won't get any type of piercing, which is not permanent. I guess he just doesn't like em or he feels he wouldn't look good with them.

I have my eyebrow, left lobe and an industrial. I usually see tattoo artists with at least some ear piercings, maybe gauges

So are you pierced and tattooed? Or strictly a tattoo person??

Other than earlobes (I'm female so this is standard), the only piercing I've ever gotten is an industrial. I kind of want an industrial in my other ear, but it took like a year to heal and went through some odd scarring (the odd scarring is gone now) so I'm not sure I want to go through that again.

I wish industrials were a little more popular, because the selection of barbells seems kind of limited. I found a couple interesting things on Etsy though.

I can't see myself getting a piercing anywhere other than my ear. I like the way eyebrow piercings look, but I'm afraid it might annoy me on a visceral level to have metal in my face. Like you said it's not permanent though, so it wouldn't hurt to try some day.

Other than earlobes (I'm female so this is standard), the only piercing I've ever gotten is an industrial. I kind of want an industrial in my other ear, but it took like a year to heal and went through some odd scarring (the odd scarring is gone now) so I'm not sure I want to go through that again.

I wish industrials were a little more popular, because the selection of barbells seems kind of limited. I found a couple interesting things on Etsy though.

I can't see myself getting a piercing anywhere other than my ear. I like the way eyebrow piercings look, but I'm afraid it might annoy me on a visceral level to have metal in my face. Like you said it's not permanent though, so it wouldn't hurt to try some day.

They make acrylic (plastic) body jewelry. No need to have metal in your face (or anywhere else), unless you've got internal injuries that require it :)

Tesseracts, you really don't want to use acrylic for long term use. Here is a great page with lots of info of different materials. Material information & care

And they have a huge selection of barbells and you can get them with gems and various other ends. I personally stick with titanium (I like the copper and teal colors the best). I get most of my jewelry there. :) They also have a calender you can get that has 20% off coupons each month.

For piercings and tattoo's, different folks different strokes. I've met quite A few highly tattooed individuals who have used the words "disgusting" when listing reasons why they don't want piercings.

People dislike piercings just as much as I dislike implants.

Myself I have had and extremely long list of piercings, anchors included (not exactly something you can just "take out") they're are as permanent as the strength of my skin.

Way too lazy to deal with piercings. Every time I go to wear earrings I wind up re-piercing my ears (ouch) because of weeks/months of wearing nothing.

I think I've been fairly lucky, depending on who you are haha. I have only had 2 of my holes that we're not surface piercings that closed up. My belly button is long gone, and my Labret is unfortunately closed over.

Oh wait, add septum to that list and as much as I loved it I will not be piercing it for the 4th time. The scar tissue I had to deal with on the 3rd round actually almost made me throw up due to the pain involved and I generally have a high pain tolerance.

Everything else that I have interest in having again (tragus, nose, Monroe, lobes) pretty standard stuff now a days for females, is all I really wanted to stay open and has.

However recently I have gotten the itch to get my tongue done. (I didn't get it the first time because I was told at the time I wouldn't be able to eat rare red meat, or drink alcohol for a month and I was a wild blue steak eating alcoholic teen at the time.)

Way too lazy to deal with piercings. Every time I go to wear earrings I wind up re-piercing my ears (ouch) because of weeks/months of wearing nothing.

Haha I feel you on this because I was so delinquent re: my ears that I recently went and got them properly repierced as it had become almost impossible to get an earring into one of them. I got a second set of holes in my lobes just for fun. Beyond that, it's not really my thing, and definitely more work to care for than tattoos. But I was lucky to go to a really fantastic and reputable shop in my 'hood and learn a lot about hygiene/standards/etc. from the very friendly and serious piercer there. It's interesting to see the parallel concerns in the two worlds, however different they are.

Lately I've been considering going to NY Adorned to explore some cool ear piercing options. I have two standard holes in each ear, but I've been digging what the crew at NYA has been doing. I love the look of nose rings and always wanted one but knowing I'll always have a hole when I decide to not have a nose ring anymore just keeps turning me off to the idea... But then that logic just seems weird considering all of my visible tattoos. Maybe it's the idea of superficial altering versus more deep, physical altering of the body are two very different things.

Lately I've been considering going to NY Adorned to explore some cool ear piercing options. I have two standard holes in each ear' date=' but I've been digging what the crew at NYA has been doing. I love the look of nose rings and always wanted one but knowing I'll always have a hole when I decide to not have a nose ring anymore just keeps turning me off to the idea... But then that logic just seems weird considering all of my visible tattoos. Maybe it's the idea of superficial altering versus more deep, physical altering of the body are two very different things.[/quote']

I had my nostril pierced when I was a teenager, and when I was over it and took it out it was barely noticeable. Now I can't even tell it was pierced! Septum is easy to hide and easy to rock when the time is right.

Fun ear stuff sounds cool! I'm gonna make my way over to the site to see what stuff you're talking about.

Same was true for me @beez and @HaydenRose, I pierced my own nose when I was in my early 20s. Kept it pierced for a couple years then took it out for a while. Re-pierced it for a while. Took it out. I don't have a hole there any more, totally healed over.

My tragus and rook are my fairly recent piercings. I like them, but yes, it is a much longer healing period than tattoos. Much quicker and easier to get but harder to heal. Still, worth it if you like the way it looks and commit to cleaning the piercings diligently. Conch next... (I think).

I thought it was kind of weird that I started getting into piercings again in my forties, but then I thought what-ever, who cares, it's fun. My pic from instagram:

They make acrylic (plastic) body jewelry. No need to have metal in your face (or anywhere else), unless you've got internal injuries that require it :)

It's not a good idea to wear acrylic, it can degrade inside the body and leech toxins into the skin. If you need retainers, wear glass.

I like piercings, I only have 8 at the moment but I've had a total of 16. Right now I have my philtrum done, bilateral nostrils, my conch, an industrial and the rest in my lobes. I want to get my bridge repierced, then high nostrils and an inverse vertical labret.

I had my lobes pierced when I was younger like most other girls, two in each ear. But when I was 17 I got my first tattoo instead of a piercing. Didn't get my belly pierced til I was 18.

In total I have 8 tats and 6 piercings and I prefer being tattooed ALL DAY. I just have such a bad time with piercings for some reason. The pain is a lot different, my piercer basically called me a baby while I was having my triple forward helix done (would rather sit for a 6 hour tattoo session than get that re pierced).. Also have a dermal anchor on my lower navel, which sucked but it looks great.

Definitely tattoos > piercings.

Piercings are much more high maintenance. I used to have a lot and now I just have my rook and a few in my lobes. I'm not much of a jewelry wearer, so I'm not in much of a rush to get more. I've been considering getting an industrial done, but healing cartilage is such a pain in the ass, so we'll see.