Uncomfortable/disempowering tattoo experiences

Zillah

When I was younger I had a small piece done on my back below my neck and the tattoo artist said to me, "I hope you don't mind but I'm staring down your shirt at your tits while I'm tattooing you". I felt so violated, and so disempowered, because I felt I couldn't say anything back- the guy was actively tattooing me, and I was scared that if I complained or gave him shit for it that he might make a 'mistake' or write 'bitch' on my back or something.

I should have laid a complaint afterwards, but I was young and naive. I also should have researched the guy first, but I didn't know much about doing that sort of thing back then.

Has anyone else had an uncomfortable/bad experience while being tattooed?

What an idiot, horrible man.

I once had two full afternoon appointments booked with an artist guesting at a local studio. She cancelled the first one last minute. I turned up for the second one, got left in the waiting room for 2 hours before she even came up to say hello. She was pretty dismissive of me, of my idea... everything. She hadn't prepared anything in advance, then everything we discussed she sucked her teeth over. By the end of the afternoon we had a design that was nothing like what we'd talked about that really didn't work for me at all. The saving grace was that she had no more time to actually do the tattoo. She told me I'd have to fly out to Poland so she could do it, I politely declined (by email afterwards, I'm a coward and she was really quite fierce!). I felt so discouraged by the whole thing. I'm so glad I didn't go through with it, I would have so regretted it now!

Nowhere near as bad as your story though Stacey Stormcloud!

I am really, really sorry that happened to you. It's unacceptable, and I think an asshole like that is explicitly taking advantage of the fact that he knows you can't really do/say anything in that situation to be inappropriate and harassing. Unacceptable.

I feel super lucky that anyone who has ever tattooed me has been a total class act. Getting tattooed can put one in a fairly vulnerable position - often half-naked in busy shops, not really able to move - and it's so, so important to me to be doing so in chill, respectful places. I try not to take that for granted!

@Zillah that is an awful experience! I'm really sorry you had to go through that. I've been lucky and have had mostly awesome experiences and nothing violating like that. So sorry.

Have you heard of Capilli Tupou? I really like his stuff and I think he's from NZ as well! Instagram

No I hadn't, but he is in the same city so I will look him up, thanks :)

Thanks people. I was worried that I might just be being uptight, but it did make me feel really bad.

Ummmmm.....sounds pretty normal to me!

Not saying it is appropriate or saying it is right......but hearing this doesn't shock me in the least!

This is why as a tattooer you have to watch what you say...case by case basis I guess. I have been guilty of making off handed remarks like that. 99% percent of the time people laugh...are you sure the comment was not taken out of context? The guy I am getting my back worked on from has a busy shop and dirty jokes from him and other artists/clients seem to be pretty standard.

The artist probably didn't think this was a big deal and worse yet has no idea this was so upsetting to you...because you didn't speak up.

This is why as a tattooer you have to watch what you say...case by case basis I guess. I have been guilty of making off handed remarks like that. 99% percent of the time people laugh...are you sure the comment was not taken out of context? The guy I am getting my back worked on from has a busy shop and dirty jokes from him and other artists/clients seem to be pretty standard.

The artist probably didn't think this was a big deal and worse yet has no idea this was so upsetting to you...because you didn't speak up.

Are you blaming her for his rude comment?

...are you sure the comment was not taken out of context?

Seriously, the dude just came out with it.

Maybe. But I felt pretty damn intimidated, which doesn't help with the speaking up... and seriously? Shitty joke.

I don't think it's too unusual to hear jokes or remarks like these, I know I have. I don't think any business owner would offend a paying client unless the client was rude or something, I'm assuming you weren't.

In the future I'd suggest speaking up for yourself, no reputable tattooer is going to jack up your tattoo on purpose, remember their name and reputation is tied to the tattoos they make.

I don't agree with making comments like that to ppl, but at the same time I feel silence is consent, he/she can not know they've crossed the line if you don't draw one. I hope your future experiences are more comfortable, as they should be.

I don't think it's too unusual to hear jokes or remarks like these, I know I have. I don't think any business owner would offend a paying client unless the client was rude or something, I'm assuming you weren't.

In the future I'd suggest speaking up for yourself, no reputable tattooer is going to jack up your tattoo on purpose, remember their name and reputation is tied to the tattoos they make.

I don't agree with making comments like that to ppl, but at the same time I feel silence is consent, he/she can not know they've crossed the line if you don't draw one. I hope your future experiences are more comfortable, as they should be.

WOW... I am speechless

I look forward to reading the responses to this.

WOW... I am speechless I look forward to reading the responses to this.
Please, don't twist my post. If you don't speak up, not only will the tattooer not know your offended but they will continue to offend others. Please grow up man, don't start drama, that's as bad as dudes remarks.

You're a tattooer, would you purposely fuck up a tattoo if a client says you've offended them.

Please, don't twist my post. If you don't speak up, not only will the tattooer not know your offended but they will continue to offend others. Please grow up man, don't start drama, that's as bad as dudes remarks.

You're a tattooer, would you purposely fuck up a tattoo if a client says you've offended them.

I'm not a tattooer so I wouldn't have to try to purposely fuck up a tattoo. It would just naturally be fucked up.

He didn't twist your post' date=' he bolded something that you wrote. Maybe you should instead think a little bit about what you write before you post it.[/quote']

So I should like her, just sit down, shut up and just take whatever is said to me?

Not happening, speak up, if you don't you will continually be walked on. Being silent when truly offended(sexual in nature in this case) should not be an option, being silent allows for this to continue. Ppl will do what they want until told to stop, by being silent you allow this to continue, to you and other, silence is consent like it or not.

So I should like her, just sit down, shut up and just take whatever is said to me?

Not happening, speak up, if you don't you will continually be walked on. Being silent when truly offended(sexual in nature in this case) should not be an option, being silent allows for this to continue. Ppl will do what they want until told to stop, by being silent you allow this to continue, to you and other, silence is consent like it or not.

Even if the situation makes you feel too afraid to speak up?

Even if the situation makes you feel too afraid to speak up?
Hell yes, you don't think slaves and civil rights people were scared to speak up? Damn right they were. Always speak up when TRULY wronged, it's actually quite in powering and breds confidence and will improve your personal happiness.