The ladies thread

SeeSea

Honestly this thread cemented my decision to join the forum

Yay!!! Welcome!

As for clothes I have a couple of cotton/ jersey dresses from that have a kind of extended halter can be wrapped a myriad of ways (halter, strapless, one sleeved) that I've used while getting my back done.

Thanks a good idea, too. Boy, I may have one of those in a box somewhere that can wrap around the waist and leave the back totally open. Maybe I didn't think of it because I started my back in February and have been thinking "fleece" rather than "summery dress"!

Yay!!! Welcome!

Thanks a good idea, too. Boy, I may have one of those in a box somewhere that can wrap around the waist and leave the back totally open. Maybe I didn't think of it because I started my back in February and have been thinking "fleece" rather than "summery dress"!

I bought mine from American Apparel - it was really handy and I was totally unconcerned about getting ink on it.

As I just spent like, 20 minutes trying to find tights opaque enough to cover my leg tattoos for work, I think that is a worthy topic for discussion too, as ladies' clothing tends to cover up less tattoo-wise. For those of you who don't show tattoos as work, strategies for making sure backs, legs, etc. are covered are helpful! (For example, my collection of shrugs has massively expanded since I did my back.)

This was my LIFE when I lived in Japan - I was a teacher and a school administrator and I had a weekly ritual of covering the tattoos on my leg and back. The worst was a very old, small, fuzzy tattoo on my ankle that I had cover up with a large bandaid every week - one of my coworkers just about died when he realized that it wasn't an injury that I had to keep covered for 5 years :).

Great advice re bras. For afterwards, I have plenty of feeding bras which look like little girls training bras but are incredibly supportive. One in particular is racer back so should be grand. When I'm at home I can whack the heating on and let it all hang out anyway. (It's really cold here, despite it allegedly being Spring.)

Clothes-wise - I guess simple cotton t-shirts that don't have fibres that might irritate? Any advice on how to stop them sticking?

Also, how do you prepare your skin in advance? Should I avoid moisturising on the day?

Clothes-wise - I guess simple cotton t-shirts that don't have fibres that might irritate? Any advice on how to stop them sticking?

IMO, there's nothing to be done about the tattoo sticking to clothing. However, I never have this problem after I let the tattoo completely dry out the first 24 hours and not let clothing touch it whenever possible. Obviously, this is impossible for some people, so I'm not sure how they manage or if there is a way. Perhaps re-wrapping the first few days? I know some people on here re-wrap overnight, but I've had some luck with lightly wrapping in bandages (not saran wrap) during the day if I had to go out and cover up.

I wear very thin shirts from Target - Mossimo brand. Junior's Boyfriend V Tee : Target

They are polyester/cotton/rayon and are not fuzzy or fiber-y at all. Very thin. 9 bucks. I wear them as a base layer under stuff and for pajamas so when I stick (the first day or so) I get into the shower to soak them off and they are light so it's easy to do. After that, I keep wearing them as a base layer for protection for my skin and also for my better clothes. I put on moisturizer very thinly and try not to press against anything and lift the shirt away from the tattoo frequently before it has a chance to really stick on there.

It's funny - the product reviews are complaining that the quality went down but I think that's what makes the shirts so darned appropriate for a base layer! They come in XS to XXL. I bought both my normal size and a size up and wore the larger size in the beginning to give some moving around room. Don't get thrown off that they are from the Junior's department. "Boyfriend" means "extra room for some comfort"

Cool, thanks. I've got some thin long sleeve T's that will be great for around the house. I have to come to work on Tuesday so I might have to rewrap then (day 3) but I can let it breathe for most of the week.

By day three you shouldn't have to worry about gunk/sticking too much! I am sure that comfortable/clean clothing would be fine by then.

I'd second @Pugilist on the re-wrapping when you sleep (or just keeping the wrap on overnight depending on how late in the day you are being tattooed. I dry heal so flaky is part of the deal - though I've never had easier heals regarding sticking to clothes ect...

As for the moisturizing question - I would just leave the skin alone the day of - I'm not sure the skin being moisturized is actually helpful to getting a clean tattoo - plus anything that's absorbed in the skin ie fragrance .... could potentially react with the tattooing experience. If you really need to I'd use something like an unfragranced galaxial-based moisturizer

I've been using the non-stick gauze pads - tape them together then tape to leg, then loosely wrap an ace bandage/whatever onto leg - then sleep/walk/go to work/etc. That's worked really well for me this past 3 session go-round. I definitely plan on using this method in May (especially since I'll be on a plane 3 days later!) The non-stick gauze does not stick to the tattoo at all, and I think I had to apply Aquaphor once in the morning, and then once again that night after showering. It's a little more work what with the taping and all, but for me was worth it to not have clothing stick to my tattoo.

What a fantastic thread ladies !

I had been wondering about the shoulder/back/bra issue, glad to read about your experiences. Had seriously never heard about bandeaus before and had to google it...:O

Does anyone know of a supportive brand available in the UK by any chance?

Will make sure to keep some of my maternity stuff in any case...thanks for the heads up ;-)

I ain't no lady

You don't have to be a lady to deal with bra issues. We're equal opportunity here. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so now that I'm back to another gross goopy phrase, I forgot another good shirt option - technical exercise shirts like the kind for running, especially the cheapo ones you get after a race. They are thin and not cotton (so not the fuzzier UnderArmour brand) but usually polyester-based. I still stick the first couple days (and they are "moister wicking"), but again, they are a lot easier to soak off quickly in the shower.

Ok, so now that I'm back to another gross goopy phrase, I forgot another good shirt option - technical exercise shirts like the kind for running, especially the cheapo ones you get after a race. They are thin and not cotton (so not the fuzzier UnderArmour brand) but usually polyester-based. I still stick the first couple days (and they are "moister wicking"), but again, they are a lot easier to soak off quickly in the shower.

Bamboo fabrics, though not cheap, are also excellent soft, non-irritating fabrics to have on the skin.

Heh. The biggest issue I have with bras, tattoo thoughts aside, is that the underwires snap all the freakin' time, and I'm often impaled.

You say this like it's a bad thing. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Bamboo fabrics, though not cheap, are also excellent soft, non-irritating fabrics to have on the skin.

Sounds interesting. I looked for fabrics and there seems to be a lot of controversy about companies selling fabric that isn't actually bamboo. Do you have a brand that you could recommend?

Sounds interesting. I looked for fabrics and there seems to be a lot of controversy about companies selling fabric that isn't actually bamboo. Do you have a brand that you could recommend?

The shop I bought my wraps at unfortunately went under with the recession, so I don't have any specific recommendations - I'll keep an eye out though.