The ladies thread

SeeSea

Got my next appointment all set up for the second week in January. Looking forward to more work being done, not looking forward to *getting* it done :D Got the right side peonies worked on last time, they'll have brown added to the leaves in the future, and some lines on the petals.

b3a8c69e-0973-4ad5-9f51-b909d251af96_zps85f7c5c4.jpg

I've been very seriously considering getting my first tattoo for a few months now. I want to get a medium sized piece on my rib cage, but I'm fairly well endowed. I am planning to get it done below the line of my bra strap....have any of you had any issues with the band rubbing or interfering with the healing? What about sports bras? I compete on the equestrian team at my college, so wearing one at practice is a must!

I've been very seriously considering getting my first tattoo for a few months now. I want to get a medium sized piece on my rib cage, but I'm fairly well endowed. I am planning to get it done below the line of my bra strap....have any of you had any issues with the band rubbing or interfering with the healing? What about sports bras? I compete on the equestrian team at my college, so wearing one at practice is a must!

Rubbing will be your main issue. I'd aim to go braless at home whenever possible, but fir riding, you could weat a singlet or crop under the sports bra to reduce rubbing and if possible wear a bra without underwire. I've so far only had leg tattooes but I've found that I could wear tight clothes for short periods of time as long aa they wern't rubbing; as tight clothes does cut off the air but eunbing irritates the slin and new tattoo.

I don't wear a bra for any work done on my ribs or back on the bra line. I stopped running the week or so that I am healing (that has been hard to swallow!) Rubbing is the issue. I haven't tried anything under a sports bra, but I suppose distributing the squeeze over a large area is better than a single strap digging in. I've considered putting a piece of Saran wrap under my bra so that any rubbing is across the wrap and not my skin. I haven't actually tried this yet so I don't know if it would work. Probably, though.

You can fold up, and pin, the sports bra to avoid rubbing against your new tattoo. This way, you still have the whole of the sports bra, but are avoiding the rubbing. You can also put a non-stick gauze pad between the tattoo and the bra to reduce the rubbing - just be sure to tape it well.

Now that's what I'm talking about @beez!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not to proud to say I lived in bikini tops and going braless while home while healing my back. I've only had line work done, but damn, healing it wasn't all that fun. I wear multiple layers at work daily (including thick coveralls) so healing blew. But bikini tops- I love you.

Oh, and ladies, I haven't posted a photo here. But here's the start to my shoulders to knees backpiece. Weee. Next sit in three weeks to finish lining my butt and thighs.

llm21je.jpg?1

@graybones Thank you! They're based partly on Chinese depictions of lucky bats (also why there's five) which are very pretty and playful, for that very reason! I adore bats, and when I see them it makes me happy, but didn't want realism or the more angular, sharp look of a traditional Western depiction. I had also given my artist some Art Nouveau pieces in the giant file of inspiration, and she makes lovely peonies, so this is what happened. :)

@DeathB4Decaf Is that Paul Freaking Bunyan? AMAZING either way.

@DeathB4Decaf holy SHIT that looks great! can't wait to see how it comes along! The butt is NO JOKE when it comes to lining and getting tattooed. Ouch but worth it.

@SeeSea i think i saw somewhere else that you are done with your backpiece! (except for finishing touches and whatever) WOW! you must be feel great! is there any sadness associated with it being done, though? Or are you already planning a companion piece somewhere else? ;p

Ladies, I must say - we are killing it lately. Props to all!

Hi @beez - yeah, finished it up with a marathon 8 1/2 hours on Friday night/Sat am. I am making fruity pebbles as we speak. I do feel a little funny. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be on the other side of all that pain, but every session was another dimension added, and now everything is there. I think I'll have different feelings when it heals and I can left my arms again :) (And wear a bra again ... and wear pants with an actual waistband again ... :) ) Thanks!

@SeeSea I saw the pics!! it looks fantastic; well worth every stinkin' hour of pain!

Yes it's definitely worth it, and that's what I had to keep telling myself when I wanted to tap out. Suck it up, girl. You stop now and *something* won't look as good. That really helped get me through.

It was so strange - when I knew we were at the home stretch that evening, it stopped hurting. We'd grinded a place near my neck where the nerves are really messed up and we knew the second pass on that was coming. And I literally had to prepare by holding on to the table and putting one song on my iPod to play repeatedly and crying and muttering "don't move don't move don't move" for about 15 minutes as tears streamed down my face. Worst pain ever by far. There's something wrong with the nerves in my neck/shoulder right there. After that was over, I felt like I could sit there for hours. Soooo strange coming out the other side of that. The body is such a strange sack of oddness. But a really pretty one now :)

To those with tiny arms: is it possible to have intricate work done? My wrists are 5.5inches and don't get much bigger. My apologies if it's a silly question.

I don't see why not. Just make it big enough that it won't turn into a blob. That's the same advice you'd get for any other location on the body in terms of size. Welcome!