The ladies thread

SeeSea

I don't see why not. Just make it big enough that it won't turn into a blob. That's the same advice you'd get for any other location on the body in terms of size. Welcome!

Understood. I'm just not sure HOW big that needs to be. I guess anything can blob under the right factors.

@SeeSea Wow, 8.5 hours... is that your longest session, or have you been doing those all along? I've done 6.5 and felt like that was my personal limit.

Yeah, that was the longest. I did an 8-hour once, but my average was just over 5 hours as session. Around 5 or 6 is when I start to lose it. 6.5 is no joke - good job.

To those with tiny arms: is it possible to have intricate work done? My wrists are 5.5inches and don't get much bigger.

Hi @Vaas!

You'll read it on this forum time and time again...its's really important that you find the right artist...a good one. There are tattooers that can put incredible detail in a very small space and even more tattooers who can't make a large tattoo readable (especially over time). A good tattooer will work with you and be unafraid too tell you what will or will not be legible and why.

Perhaps if you give us a better idea of what you mean by "intricate" and your locale, we can point you in the direction of some good artists in your area to check out.

Jumping in here. I, too, have very small arms. Lou at ten penny tattoo in Albuquerque was great in both my cover up and in my tiger covering my right arm from elbow to wrist. Now I'd like to have my left arm, from tattoo to wrist, covered in a dragon (would really like it intertwined with a phoenix, but my arm is just too small - I also have 5 1/2" wrist).

I probably will go back to Lou for my dragon, but would really, really like to have it done by Horitaka is at State of Grace Tattoo - since that is probably impossible - any suggestions - I'm currently near Deming, NM, but have RV will travel.

Hi @Vaas!

You'll read it on this forum time and time again...its's really important that you find the right artist...a good one. There are tattooers that can put incredible detail in a very small space and even more tattooers who can't make a large tattoo readable (especially over time). A good tattooer will work with you and be unafraid too tell you what will or will not be legible and why.

Perhaps if you give us a better idea of what you mean by "intricate" and your locale, we can point you in the direction of some good artists in your area to check out.

@KBeee

I've only had a small solid piece done by him. His portfolio looks like he would fine for the type of stuff I like, he does curvy lines and text pretty well. I'm just fairly limited in options around (to the west of DFW).

I'm thinking an Oni on my inner forearm. It doesn't have a LOT of lines. I know a good artist should be fine doing it, I'm just nervous since all my pieces are geometric simple lines.

- - - Updated - - -

Brrp. Brain hot. I'm *considering* seeing the same artist as my recent piece, but not 100% he's the right one.

...I probably will go back to Lou for my dragon, but would really, really like to have it done by Horitaka is at State of Grace Tattoo - since that is probably impossible - any suggestions - I'm currently near Deming, NM, but have RV will travel.

Honestly, as clear as you are about Horitaka...you should do it. NM really isn't that far of a drive (15 hours). Not for something like that. You can grab a like-minded buddy and split gas. And State of Grace is so awesome. Sitting in the little traditional room getting a Japanese tattoo from one of those guys, especially if you are into the history/tradition/evolution of tattoos in general...it's just really cool and sort of its own thing in a way. I can not recommend it enough if you have the hankering to do it. And then when you are done getting tattooed you can go around the corner and eat really yummy Ramen/noodle. You should call the shop tomorrow and see what his schedule is like....you never know.

- - - Updated - - -

...I'm just fairly limited in options around (to the west of DFW).

I'm thinking an Oni on my inner forearm. It doesn't have a LOT of lines. I know a good artist should be fine doing it, I'm just nervous since all my pieces are geometric simple lines.

Oooh Oni tattoos are cool. If you aren't certain, wait until you find the right person. It's so cool when you wait for the tattooer that clicks with the idea and you end up with something that you love more than anything.

Have you considered heading to south of Austin for the West Texas Convention (hosted by the Trufant brothers http://trufantbros.com/convention/)? It's happening at the end of Feb.

Thanks Kbeee, You gave me the push to call. Which I did. Of course, non unexpectedly, he has a 2 year waiting list. I'm kind of sorry he's so popular, because I really like his work - of course, that's why he's so popular! Anyway, I'm to get in touch with his assistant when she gets back in the country in a week or so. I'm going to get on his list, but probably not for the dragon as, at my age, 2 years is really long and I want to enjoy it - I'll probably ask for a monmon cat on my leg.

Anyway, do you know of some one, maybe not as popular, who does good Japanese work?

Thanks for your reply, or I wouldn't have had the nerve to call them!

Honestly, as clear as you are about Horitaka...you should do it. NM really isn't that far of a drive (15 hours). Not for something like that. You can grab a like-minded buddy and split gas. And State of Grace is so awesome. Sitting in the little traditional room getting a Japanese tattoo from one of those guys, especially if you are into the history/tradition/evolution of tattoos in general...it's just really cool and sort of its own thing in a way. I can not recommend it enough if you have the hankering to do it. And then when you are done getting tattooed you can go around the corner and eat really yummy Ramen/noodle. You should call the shop tomorrow and see what his schedule is like....you never know.

- - - Updated - - -

As much as I was dreading getting my butt done (The linework there sucked) it was a piece of cake after getting some color added to the leaves from last time. I don't know what it is about the damn leaves, but they always suuuuuuck. It was seriously a relief when she got started on my ass. Got one more peony to color--right on my lower back ~sob~--and then we get started on the decorative cord winding through.

Yeah, I misspoke - it is Horitomo that I like - it is his color work along with the grey that attracts me. I do like Horitaka's stuff, but he doesn't quite do the color quite the same as Horitomo, although, to be sure, I'd be quite honored to be tattooed by either. Having confused the names, I'll be much more careful in the future. Thank goodness, I did double check before I called and asked for Horitomo. I have the Perseverance catalog in which I checked out both artists.

@peaceridge: I'm a little confused. Are you talking about Horitaka or Horitomo? They both work at State of Grace, but only Horitomo does monmon cats. Just curious.

- - - Updated - - -

@peaceridge Look into Tick in Las Cruces NM. She does really good Japanese. Really good everything, really.

Thanks, I'll look at her work - especially since I'm currently camped close to there.

• 3 weeks later...

@Ashley76 - take a read back through this thread for lots of suggestions. I believe a common suggestion was something soft with the sports bra on top of it. You might also consider taping some Saran wrap over the tattoo first if it seems likely to leak/stick and/or you will be doing a lot of moving and jumping.

Good luck! English or Western?

@SeeSea you seem to have such a cool, active life.

Laughing ... I just end up trying stuff because it sounds fun. I only rode a couple years, but had a blast with a cool instructor friend of mine. I really liked barrel racing but only did it in the ring messing around but I did eat dirt a couple times - can't really be a real rider unless you eat dirt, right? Sometimes I think my family must think I am a little crazy, but really, if you saw me, I look completely boring. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

So after much searching, here's what I'm gonna wear for the backpiece contest at the Philly Convention on Sunday. I couldn't find a true halter top that completely shows the back with only a little string tie across the center of the back and I'm not doing a bikini or <shudder> pasties. This is actually quite classy looking. I can pull it down around my hips so the whole tattoo shows, and I'll wear black leggings. I wanted to do something like this rather than just turning a shirt around backwards because I wanted to show the tattoo walking around the show a bit. My only concern is being cold so I am wearing a neck scarf and we'll see how that goes.

Deep Open Back Halter Top by VENUS

BTW - Venus makes amazing bikinis. many have tops like bras for good support and padding. I could never wear a string bikini or many other styles, but these are very flattering. I love this one. It comes with a little insert padding but you really don't need it unless you want to vavavoom.

Enhancer top, low rise bottom, scoop bottom, wrap skirt Swimsuit

Engineers are just vastly interesting people, after all. That outfit should look great, SeeSea! Don't forget the high heels (please, no platforms) for a few more points from the male judges (maybe the females, too). You might want flats for walking around the show, however. I know ladies that can strut around in 4" heels (with small feet, too!) all day, but I'm sure it is because they are used to it. As a male, I can't see how you ladies pull it off for ten steps, but I have to appreciate the overall look. Good luck with the contest! I'm still in awe of your piece, and have shown it to friends at work who find it amazing.

Hey ladies (thread), I think my tattooer's going to do the remaining peony before the cord winding through, but we're still waffling on what color to do the cord. She'd originally planned on doing it a deep teal, but now she's thinking a nice dark red. Any other suggestions for colors we can talk about at the next session? :D

91e37ddb-8a4a-4288-b491-132d20ec6f45_zps92bb62d5.jpg

Hi ladies! Sorry to jump in mid-conversation like this, but I just read through the entire thread, and there were a couple of things I wanted to comment on. Here we go:

I have gotten tattooed by some fucking awesome female tattooers: Stephanie Tamez, Marie Sena, Maud Dardeau, Cat Bijou, Rebecca Guinard, Eilo Martin. While I do not specifically seek out female tattooers, I do think that as a women who cares about women a lot, I notice the work of female tattooers more than folks with less gender consciousness might. Does that make sense? There are so many women doing great work that deserve more attention than they get. I'd love to get work from: Virginia Elwood, Wendy Pham, Juni, Jill Bonny, Sheila Marcello, Claudia de Sabe, India Amara and LST's own amazing @cltattooing .

I also find myself gravitating towards women's work far more often than men's. That's not to say I don't like the work of male tattooers (I've been tattooed by a few), but I find that I vastly prefer the work of women (however subconsciously).

I think part of it is because tattooing has been a boys' club for such a long time (or at least perceived as such), that I feel much more at ease getting work from lady tattooers than guys. Even with topics like how to dress for a tattoo in a tricky spot, I think female tattooers are much more receptive and understanding of those concerns.

Also, a lot of my tattoos are variations on the "gypsy girl". It's my favorite theme. I like images of strong, expressive women, so to me it makes sense to have a woman be the one to apply that to my body.

In conclusion: girl power!

Helllloooo Ladies!

We have already discussed how being female and having tattoos often seem to invite strangers to act inappropriately on many levels. And I definitely found this to be true when I had just a couple, largish, visible tattoos on my arms. But NOW, I find it is the exact opposite. When I venture out of my life bubble into the normal world I find people give me a wide physical berth and that when I notice men noticing my tattoos, they avert their eyes/avoid eye contact. It's been really fascinating and I have been REALLY enjoying the space.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience as they have approached more visible full coverage.

***I am far from fully covered by our standards but have recently realized that in a v-neck, short sleeved t-shirt and cuffed jeans that I look preeeetty covered (minus neck and hands)

I, like all women, have been catcalled for most of my life - and I hate it. (It's one of the many reasons I dread summer.) But I noticed that when I started to get more tattooed, the catcalls shifted from disgusting and lascivious to dudes shouting some variation of "I love your tats!". A guy approached me once to in a supermarket to tell me he had "mad respect" for me because of my tattoos. (Let's disregard the fact he only respects me because he thinks I can handle pain and I'm not some ~weak, fragile flower~, which is sexist as hell.)

I still get my fair share of gross shit yelled at me. While it is still vastly unnecessary and uncomfortable to have my body commented on, at the very least some of those comments have shifted to something that doesn't make me fear for my safety, unlike before.