The ladies thread

SeeSea

@Breakme, violet is an interesting thought! The peonies are all either shades of pink, or that sort of tangerine/yellow/coral--just variations of what's on my shoulder there.

@Gingerninja Thanks! Well, she's been talking about starting the cord soon, so depending on how long it takes to do the last peony, she might start filling it in next session. Though the last one is pretty much sitting entirely on my lower back, so I'm not sure how many hours I'll be doing that day.

Hi ladies!

I just posted this in the "Member Referrals" section, but then discovered this forum, and thought I might get more responses here - so I'm duplicate posting here:

I'm planning a back piece. I want it in the japanese style - I just love that look.

As a woman, I am more comfortable with female artists. Can't explain, its just the way I feel. Can anyone recommend a female artist who does really super quality japanese style work? I am in the midwest, but am willing to travel in the continental US or Ontario.

@CShaw do you really want the cord to stand out, or be harmonious with the rest of the peonies? The teal would be nearly opposite on the colour wheel to the pink flowers, so the colour would be really defined against them. A deep red cord would blend into the background a little more. Iboersonally like the idea of using teal, but I like lots of colours.

@tay943 Originally, we were going to do teal because it is complementary--cool to go with the warm flowers. The bats are the point of the tattoo for me, as the flowers lose color over the years, the bats will still be center stage. I feel like the red (depending on what shade) would probably stand out about as much for me as the teal, overall.

Thanks for all the thoughts, you guys! She's going to end up picking anyway--I'll just go with what she decides--but she always asks, and since before I started the tattoo I wasn't intending to get color at all, I usually just go "Uhhhh..." :D

So not related to anything currently being discussed in this thread.

But!

I just found out a new 40something year old female engineer at my work has a full backpiece and thighs tattooed. I'm such a creep and am going to be that asshole asking about it once I meet her one on one without others in ear shot.

I work primarily with men, rarely even see other ladies, let alone someone with tons of work (or anything visible). Now, to ask about it without being my awkward self. That's the hard part, ha.

Side note, we all change and wear coveralls. Barely any girls in our changeroom, so one of the other ladies noticed it when she got out of the shower and told me. And no worries, I'm not going to ambush her in the lockers while butt naked and ask, ha.

Such a silly thing to be pumped about, but whatever. I'm a professional when it comes to overly awkward first impressions.

Nope, but I am of the mechanical flavor.

Things mostly changed for the better....lots of the factory floor folks saw me as much more approachable and I made a lot of new friends. To be honest it was nerve wracking to deal with management that day....though no one said anything. I'm in my 40s with 25 years experience in my field, so I dare them to say anything!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At one point I found out the gynecologist I have been going to for years had not one, but TWO 3/4 sleeves! Blew my mind and made me adore her even more (she's the best doctor I've ever had).

A lot of the ladies at my job have small tattoos like love-in-an-infinity-sign and that sort of thing. It's still exciting to talk to them about their tattoo plans even if we are drawn to different styles. Several of our male software developers are heavily tattooed with rad stuff. I'm lucky in that everyone at work has been really supportive of me taking off work to get tattoos and are excited to see what I come back with.

Everybody on my floor at work knows about my tattoos. I went with my son when he got his, so they all joked about me getting one too, and sure enough I did! My VP asked to see that one. My manager asked about the most recent one last week. I'm not sure how she even heard about it. They're all covered at work, but they're apparently not too secret.

At one point I found out the gynecologist I have been going to for years had not one, but TWO 3/4 sleeves! Blew my mind and made me adore her even more (she's the best doctor I've ever had).

@graybones --Reading your post made me smile. This may sound kind of dopey, but I get a nice warm, happy feeling when I find out that someone I have had an ongoing interaction with (like you with your gyno, or like a colleague) has a tattoo. It's only happened with me a couple of times, but when it does, it's a great feeling.

I found out our accountant who has done our taxes for years has a half sleeve, and when I first saw it peeking out (she clearly dressed to keep it covered) I got really excited! I didn't want to be that person and make a stupid comment, or violate her privacy. But I really wanted to connect. So I nervously said something like "So...I think we have something in common - tattoos." She was sort of shocked, but immediately dropped her professional guard and we had about a half-hour chat about tattoos and living with them in a professional world. It was sort of like a mutual "ah...someone who understands!" Funny thing is that I always thought she was a cool lady - very competent and professional, but with sort of a carefree streak that I admired.

This is very timely. The other day I was shopping for athletic clothing, and the owner of the shop -- this tiny, very polished older woman, probably in her early sixties -- asked me about my tattoos. Turns out her husband 'studies' them and travels all over to get tattooed. We got to talking about my tattooer and I mentioned that he was in Brighton recently, and she absolutely lit up. 'Oh, those huge tattoo conventions are just amazing!'

I haven't even been to one. I don't even know. I wouldn't have expected any of that from her in a million years, and I find that so freakin' cool.

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up going with red for the cord winding through my bats after all--a dark Brick red and one called Red Velvet. Got the last peony colored and about half the cord done, so I think just one more session to finish it all up, which I think will make eight en toto. I'll post a pic as soon as the bruising around the red ink doesn't look so dire. :D