The ladies thread

SeeSea

Ah, thanks for all the input and reassurances, everyone. I really do appreciate it. I'm glad I'm not being entirely neurotic.

I'm going to email and tell her my worries, see if she has time in the next few weeks for a rough sketch. Otherwise I think I'm going to cancel it for now and leave it for a while. I'm only 25, there's plenty of time for this. I've wanted a fox for a long time but there's no hurry, and it doesn't have to be in that location.

Thanks guys :)

#Eevee - good luck with your decision. I certainly understand. The tattoo I got last month was the same deal - waited over a year and was told from the outset that what he designs is what I get. That made me pretty nervous, but I like his art and I shared a LOT about what I was looking for, and then I just took the leap of faith. I didn't know what to expect and what he came up with is probably not what I would have drawn. But I am not an artist, and what he did was amazing. I'm pretty type a on some things, so it was a big leap for me to relinquish this control. But I liked putting that control on someone else because I wanted HIS interpretation. I suppose if I hated it then we would have to have a conversation, but luckily that did not happen. It's also on my thigh, so it is easy to cover. That probably made it a lot easier, too. Fox - that is cool. I like foxes. Sometimes they run in the backyard but screech like banshees when the boys start territory battles.

Eevee - I suspect I was due to be tattooed by the same artist this week. I had a similar wobble about the artwork (even though I already have one of her pieces that I love, love, love) and where I am mentally right now and ended up cancelling. The long waiting list and closed books stressed me out a huge amount in making the decision but I know it was the right thing to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok ive tried searching in this thread but its now 2am and id like to go to bed, so im wondering if you could help?

under boob tattoos. Ive been considering one but have a few questions.

I have big boobs so going sans bra just isnt an option for the healing period. How do you go about healing an under boob tattoo with big boobs in the way? ( leaning more toward so it would be inline with under cleavage. So sternum tattoo really i guess????)

Also, how do you discreetly get this sort of tattoo done? ( im keeping in mind the layouts of the tattoo shops here. Anyone walking off the street can see you, and as a married up 30 year old mother, my days of flashing randoms of the public are over ;) (maybe..)

Will a bra just not rub it as much as I'm thinking? Or are there tricks? And do i just have to get a little creative with the wardrobe for the process or is there no real way to be discreet about it?

Thanks!

I'd definitely recommend Tegaderm/Saniderm for this kind of area. I think it would make the healing process a heck of a lot cleaner and simpler. While you're healing go with a sports bra or just anything without an underwire.

As for the tattoo process there are definitely ways to go about it so you're not flashing the entire place. I've seen creative taping of drape material utilized for this area. Tattoo artists are accustomed to using paper drapes and tape a lot, so they know what to do - any professional shop with quality artists are going to make sure you feel comfortable, and that ought not to be an issue, though you will have some skin showing, naturally!

Also, how do you discreetly get this sort of tattoo done? ( im keeping in mind the layouts of the tattoo shops here. Anyone walking off the street can see you, and as a married up 30 year old mother, my days of flashing randoms of the public are over ;) (maybe..)

Gee, tape, drape, nipple petals, pasties? So many options for this. Lots more than the healing, I'd think.

@InkedMumma I wore a button up shirt, which I had open enough for the artist to get the work done, while being strategically taped around the boobs so as to not show through. I wasn't totally cool with the idea of just being topless with pasties, but if you're comfortable with that, it's probably the best/easiest option.

As for the healing, i just wore really loose and unrestricting bralettes. Of course they aren't super supportive on their own, but I found that pairing them with a tighter tank top added another layer of support which made up for it. Maybe something like that works for you?

Ah of course! Why didn't I think of a button up shirt? (possibly due to my current wardrobe, not actually wearing any for years) Thank you :) Thanks for the suggestion with Bra too, I will grab some sports crops I think. (Current sports Bra's I have all have wire)

- - - Updated - - -

HAHA, nipple petals? So I am picturing a la Miley Cyrus here... yeah I think I will go with the suggestion of a button up shirt ;) thanks though!

I go to a shop that is wide open, as well. They have portable screens that they can put up whenever the customer is getting something in an area that would leave him/her exposed, though. If I recall correctly, I was totally topless when I got my lower bra line tattoo. When possible, I draped the T-Shirt over my chest to cover the nipples but other times, I had to hold my breasts up and out of the way so that the artist could work.

While I'm nowhere near Dolly Parton in terms of breast size, going without a bra wasn't an option for me. I used somewhat tight camisoles for the next two weeks as I healed instead of bras. This worked well for me. I also used those camisoles when I got my sternum to shoulders done so that bra straps wouldn't irritate the shoulder area.

• 3 weeks later...
Good morning ladies (and gents!) I finally read this whole thread, whew!

Have a question that may have more to do with aesthetics or personal preference, but still a valid concern for me. On my upper back, basically any spot you might look at has a mole, freckle, etc. I'm in the dermatologist getting them checked every year, none have ever been questionable and I've never had one removed.

I'm trying to avoid tattooing this area because I'm ashamed of it, wouldn't want to show it off, and wouldn't want a tattooist to have to touch it. I'm also not happy about giving up all that prime real estate!!

Have any of you ever gotten tattooed on areas where your complexion is less than stellar? What was your experience? Thanks in advance.

Sorry I've been away from this thread for awhile - I have lots of moles - some smooth some not and my tattoo artist just works around them (never tattoos them) or makes them part of the tattoo - I have a buddha on my shoulder and my mole became his bindi!

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-advice/4126-chest-pieces-ladies-page4.html

just linking a ladies chest thread here.

I often drool over mens torso pieces and cant help but utter "lucky bastards" seeing men can do full front of torso with nothing breaking up the area.

I found this thread which has great advice but also an absolute drool tastic lady chest piece . Love it!!

I feel the same as the lady who started the chest thread t6hough. I personally cant pull off a whole torso . I had twins straight up. I had stretchmarks appearing on top of stretch marks which bled like a bitch and were itchy and painful as hell. Two more kids to boot means no stomach tattoos for this little black duck. I also wouldnt get my breasts done, not due to sagging etc. I dont know I just wouldnt. So again, further restiction means under bust (and not even a massive under bust tattoo due to scars from having gall bladder removed which left raised scars not just little lines) ... to either a piece above bust or sternum tattoo.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-advice/4126-chest-pieces-ladies-page4.html

just linking a ladies chest thread here.

I often drool over mens torso pieces and cant help but utter "lucky bastards" seeing men can do full front of torso with nothing breaking up the area.

I found this thread which has great advice but also an absolute drool tastic lady chest piece . Love it!!

I feel the same as the lady who started the chest thread t6hough. I personally cant pull off a whole torso . I had twins straight up. I had stretchmarks appearing on top of stretch marks which bled like a bitch and were itchy and painful as hell. Two more kids to boot means no stomach tattoos for this little black duck. I also wouldnt get my breasts done, not due to sagging etc. I dont know I just wouldnt. So again, further restiction means under bust (and not even a massive under bust tattoo due to scars from having gall bladder removed which left raised scars not just little lines) ... to either a piece above bust or sternum tattoo.

I'm planning my first tattoo now and I don't know if there are any lady related factors I should be keeping in mind. The image is not the design I want, but it is the same size, placement, and approximate shape. Is it a good place for a lady to get her first tattoo? And I assume it wont be too much trouble getting it done. I can just wear a tank top, right?

4f68175e971b9b9bff5c111bfdf251b2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'm planning my first tattoo now and I don't know if there are any lady related factors I should be keeping in mind. The image is not the design I want, but it is the same size, placement, and approximate shape. Is it a good place for a lady to get her first tattoo? And I assume it wont be too much trouble getting it done. I can just wear a tank top, right?

4f68175e971b9b9bff5c111bfdf251b2.jpg

This is a good place to get your first tattoo if this is the place you want your tattoo, that's all anyone can really say about it. There is no hard and fast rule, though I think most would agree hands and neck/face should be later on down the line!

I think a lot of women these days tend to start out on their feet, hip, shoulder, or other places like that where they can very easily keep the tattoo hidden. Then, they either stop there and never get another one, or they like it and start to get more. I always have a very specific idea in mind of where my tattoos will go and I can't explain why, but there's no need to. If this is the spot where you picture your design on your body, then this is where it should go.

It should be a pretty simple process in terms of the logistics of having it done, just by wearing a cami or tank top, like you say. You'll only see it in a mirror though, and that's the bummer (to me!) about tattoos on the back, but it is a great spot since it looks good, doesn't necessarily get a lot of sun exposure (less fading) and is easy to hide or not hide, depending on the circumstances.

If this is where you want it then go for it. It is an easy spot, i had my 2nd/3rd there. My first was my hip , wrapping around toward my back.

Like you said a tank top will be fine. I had a scoop neck tee on that was super loose so just popped one arm out for the lower section.

Look forward to seeing what you get!

- - - Updated - - -

If this is where you want it then go for it. It is an easy spot, i had my 2nd/3rd there. My first was my hip , wrapping around toward my back.

Like you said a tank top will be fine. I had a scoop neck tee on that was super loose so just popped one arm out for the lower section.

Look forward to seeing what you get!

- - - Updated - - -

Calling today to see if I am able to book myself in for next tuesday to get this thigh piece done! Im so excited! Though it may fall around when Im due for a period. Ahwell , I know my skin is usually more sensitive during but should be right.

- - - Updated - - -

Calling today to see if I am able to book myself in for next tuesday to get this thigh piece done! Im so excited! Though it may fall around when Im due for a period. Ahwell , I know my skin is usually more sensitive during but should be right.

Thanks. There are some things I hadn't thought to consider, such as the sun exposure. I always imagined how it would look to other ppl and I think its a great spot to show it off when you want, and as you said, its easy to cover when you have to, too. I like that option.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. There are some things I hadn't thought to consider, such as the sun exposure. I always imagined how it would look to other ppl and I think its a great spot to show it off when you want, and as you said, its easy to cover when you have to, too. I like that option.

yeah sun exposure is a biggie. I have to get somebody else to apply the sun cream to be sure its being done properly. Even so, it has been victim of sunburn a few times sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah sun exposure is a biggie. I have to get somebody else to apply the sun cream to be sure its being done properly. Even so, it has been victim of sunburn a few times sadly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Ladies!

The question I have isnt really gender specific, but Ive read through the whole thread and you seem like a knowledgable and friendly lot.

I'm new to the forum, but had my first tattoo 20 yrs ago as a foolish 17 yr old! I had a number of small pieces and then a rib tattoo that just kept growing! As I rapidly approach 40, the design of the rib and back piece dont really flatter my changing shape and I'm in the process of a substantial rework.

My first sit was for my back (attached pic) and took 3.5 hours. It hurt, but nothing serious. The second sit I had to tap out after 3 hours - I just couldnt take it anymore (ribs onto upper back, lower back onto love handle). Aside from that, Lee also said that my body had had enough and was pushing out plasma. Question is - has this happened to anyone? Was it anything I did? No pain killers, no booze, no caffeine, lots of water - basically the same as the first sit, but with that one I could have carried on going for MUCH longer.

I have another sit in a couple of weeks and this is more lower ribs, the other love handle and opposite side upper back!

2nd question: this cover up will incorporate all my existing tattoos, except the very first one which is a celtic knot on my front, parellel to and close to my hip bone. All black, quite faded, and a fair bit bigger than when i had it done, due to 2 kids! It'll be a substantial thing to cover it, but can be done to draw it into the back by pulling it over the hip - if that makes sense. I'm pretty petit though, so it'll be half my lower stomach by the time its done... Would you or wouldnt you?

Last question: anyone used numbing cream? Wondering if it'll help get through the lower ribs, but I've heard mixed things. Especially that it hurts more in the healing, and this last one hurt so much O couldnt cope with anything touching it for a week! Clothing was challenging!

Edited to say - sorry about the essay!

I don't know that there's any way to predict or mitigate how you'll sit from one occasion to another, and also don't look back and think you should have/could have done anything different, etc. to have sat longer/better, etc. You sit like you sit on that particular day, and that's all there is to it! Your artist knows this, and both the client and the artist work together for the most appropriate and best outcome at any given session. No worries.

You already know how to prepare, so just do those things (avoid substances, hydrate, eat or bring snacks, etc.) and don't worry about it. Your hormonal cycle will influence things as well, so consider that when scheduling.

I am not a fan of numbing cream, or other means to control or dampen the pain. The pain is part of the experience and is integral to getting this artwork placed upon your body, and some parts of the body are more painful than others. I would, instead, work on mental exercises and breathing techniques, not unlike that used during the labor of childbirth, and see if you can bring yourself through it effectively on your own, rather than relying on a topical anesthetic. These will wear off and trick your own natural pain-receptors, endorphins. This is JUST ME, remember, and many have had an easier experience using topical lidocaine and such.

Another thing, and, again, this is just ME, but I find being by myself to be the very best scenario for sitting well. When I sat for 6.5 or so hours, the times my beloved husband came to sit by my side, lovingly bringing me snacks and beverages, providing moral support, chatting with me, etc., the pain was much worse, and harder to ignore. When he left to stretch his legs, take the kids home, etc. it was much better. I could get my brain into the proper place and focus on a peaceful mental condition. Everyone's different, however, but I thought I'd share that, because it was significant, and I ran him off when I realized it, though he was being very, very sweet and patient.

As for post healing and pain, I am a huge advocate of Tegaderm (or any of the -derm tattoo products, threads abound here about these products), which are applied the next day and, for me, significantly reduce the discomfort in the first week. I am able to actually sleep right on a new tattoo with the use of it, and I don't have to worry about staining my sheets or having my sheets or clothing sticking to the new tattoo at all. Changed my life, lol. So, when it comes to GETTING the tattoo, I like to just rock it old school and deal with it, but I am a fan of new technology when it comes to the healing process!

I cannot address the "would you or wouldn't you" aspect of your question, because this is such a personal choice.