The ladies thread

SeeSea

That is a lovely back piece! Agree that there is no predicting. I just sat all day for the last of my back and despite being on the rag, not sleeping, and having lots of relationship stress...it was my easiest sit ever! Don't worry, just go for it.

@jen7 Thanks so much!

And its interesting you say that - my first sit I was distracted and irritable, and had been sick for weeks. But it was like a total break and i got into it completely!

- - - Updated - - - @LizBee

I would, instead, work on mental exercises and breathing techniques, not unlike that used during the labor of childbirth, and see if you can bring yourself through it.

I am totally with you on this, and had both my small people without any pain relief, so should be able to do this right! Last sit I just couldnt get into the zone though, and wonder if the position i was in might have had something to do with it. I was so antsy I just wanted the whole thing to be over...

Im the same re peace and quiet too. Im probably really dull to tattoo as i just put my headphones in and turn the music up super loud... Its 'me time'!

As for post healing and pain, I am a huge advocate of Tegaderm (or any of the -derm tattoo products, threads abound here about these products), which are applied the next day and, for me, significantly reduce the discomfort in the first week.

Thanks for the advice. I read the -derm thread (all 47 pages) and have ordered some for this time. If its as good at protecting the sensitivity as people say, I'll be super happy. It would be challenging to wear anything, and sleeping would be a total pain as I'd have to be bolt upright to not sleep on any newly tattoed skin! I've made a note of the way people have had most success, but just to check with your experience - would you say wait 24 hours prior to putting it on? I'll be done around 1/2pm and was planning to wrap with saran overnight as I push out LOADS of plasma on the first night , then wash air dry and -derm the next morning. About right?

I cannot address the "would you or wouldn't you" aspect of your question, because this is such a personal choice.

Thanks again, and your right. I guess i was asking about experences of dark cover ups. I want to do it, but am concerned itll have to be really dark to cover, and not sure how that'll look over time.

I found things can be hard to predict. I had no issues with ribs, including a 6 hour session (I did get pretty swollen though). With my back, the first session was terrible, I was wondering if I could do it, but my next sessions were all okay. No pattern.

As far as coverups, my back has a huge one, including one part that is three layers now. I think the cover up was quite clever how it used the original tattoo and I love it. Yes, it's very black, but that is how I like my tattoos - heavy black. Over time, it will look - black, lol. The largest part of the cover up was 20 years old, and it looked fine, a bit faded, but no line blurring or such. I'm not quite sure what you mean by over time, because I've found, that my tattoos have not changed as much as people worry about.

Hello Ladies!

Last question: anyone used numbing cream? Wondering if it'll help get through the lower ribs, but I've heard mixed things. Especially that it hurts more in the healing, and this last one hurt so much O couldnt cope with anything touching it for a week! Clothing was challenging!

Edited to say - sorry about the essay!

I use numbing gel if it is going to be a short tattoo. I won't say that it "hurts" more in the healing, though I do think that using lotion during aftercare stung more on the tattoos that I used numbing gel with than the ones where I didn't.

My thoughts are that I only use the numbing gel when I am getting smaller work done because the numbing effect only lasts 41-42 minutes for me. I won't say that it hurts more than times that I don't use numbing gel after that first ~45 minutes, but there is a stinging sensation that comes from using the gel. I can only take that for around two hours.

If you go the lidocaine route, I would try to find a cream over the gel, as I expect that there would be less stinging involved.

hi, I'm getting my first tattoo next month and it'll be on my sternum, wondering peoples ideas on pain, use of numbing cream and how to cover myself, as well as wearing a bra during the healing process? given its my first any other tips would be incredibly appreciated also! thanks in advance

If you don't have big boobs or need support, these are amazing: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstrom-lingerie-seamless-push-up-nu-bra/3720047?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=MOCHA 

I call them my boobicles! They are great because you still have *something* on if you have to work and/or go out in public. A little tricky to get the hang of putting them on correctly (read the review) but I'm a total fan.

On 4/27/2016 at 7:00 AM, chrxstle said:

hi, I'm getting my first tattoo next month and it'll be on my sternum, wondering peoples ideas on pain, use of numbing cream and how to cover myself, as well as wearing a bra during the healing process? given its my first any other tips would be incredibly appreciated also! thanks in advance

I've already addressed most of the other items in your post, but don't remember if I hit on the pain on the sternum in this thread.  It hurts, but back tattoos were worse for me than the sternum tattoos.  The thing that sets sternum tattoos apart is not just the pain, but the fact that the artist is working right above your lungs, so this impacts your breathing during the tattoo process.  It's distracting when you can't breathe normally, and makes it a little more difficult to deal with the pain of the tattoo process.

Edited by 21stNow

• 2 weeks later...

so every time I have tried to do something about getting my thighs done, something stops me ( water heater shat itself, car fucks up, etc) so no instead of being all hung up on wanting my thighs done, I went and had a consult this morning about a sternum piece. 3of swords tarot card inspired piece. heart with 3 daggers, paid the draw up fee n now I just wait and go from there. I was initially worried about how do I get a sternum tattoo with boobs in the way etc, but today just discussing it I happily got my girls out, so the during no longer phases me and I will just deal will healing as it comes I guess. Will hurt like a bitch no doubt, but, meh. Its where I want it so what do ya do?

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 3:30 AM, kblood said:

End of next month I'll be getting my collar bones done... Not sure if I'll have to be in a strapless bra while it heals! Didn't think of it until reading some of this thread, but it'll be worth it totally

Sent from my Z755 using Tapatalk

a girlfriend had a tattoo done in this area and her bras didn't rub, but I guess it all comes down to size, how much yours protrude etc (my friend is bony as hell and she still had no issue) , while she had it done she just shifted her top and that was that.

Cant wait to see what you get! let the count down begin!

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 9:00 PM, chrxstle said:

no idea re pain, I'm getting mine soon. If you go back through this thread though there are heaps of tips re coverage. like button up tops etc and wearing crop tops or supportive singlets. I have E/F cup boobs and I'm just going to wear a crop sports bra during healing even if it means not having a heap of support . I was worried about modesty during the process, but I felt really comfortable today (first tattoo at this particular shop) so I don't think it will be much of a hassle. after all, they are just boobs.

cant comment on numbing cream, I haven't used it before, maybe you could discuss it with your artist?? Good luck!!!

On another note- what are you getting? would love to see pics!

• 2 weeks later...

Sternum done today, i ended up doing the make shift bra with paper and tape and wore a sports crop and flannie. Felt really comfortable , no different to having to strip off for a dr. 

I was expecting to be in a world of pain, but was really really surprised. most of it was a 1, the worst bit a 3 (tops of daggers).

The hardest part was holding my breath when he outlined. (He suggested it just because of the movement while breathing, )

Definitely going back to Michael,  he is keen to do my ship /kraken. He loves traditional and thats what I love. (Another dude here hates it so I am excited that I have found someone who enjoys doing it)

Anyway thats my dribble :) Im just gonna go back to perving on my tattoo.

I was going to post this in the healing thread, but its specific to us females so...

Ok I am feeling like some kind of genius. I havent been game to wear a normal bra because I already know where they sit on me and they would rub, so I have been going without while at home but this arvo was wearing my crop top style sports bra and noticed its not really all that supportive so my boobs were sitting right on the tattoo (sans bra they sit away from it) 

Anyway so I have fixed that issue and used sports tape to lift my boobs up higher (taping over the crop and anchoring on top of chest if that makes sense) and now they dont sit on the tattoo. Cue happy dance. 

There is probably a better option,  but Im working with what I have ☺

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2015 at 6:57 PM, Synesthesia said:

I thought about making this its own thread, but this thread always seems to get some good responses so here goes...

I've been pondering a chest piece of some kind for years and can't seem to get any inspiration. A lot of the chest designs I see on women are kind of (imo) trashy...that really dated look, crappy black and gray stars/roses/owls/pocket-watches/etc. Ugh. I'm so jealous of guys that get their whole front done, and who have all that extra room on their chest even if they don't want a huge front piece! I'm not busty by any means (solid b-cup), but I would want to keep my chest piece away from my boobs for aesthetic and personal reasons, which leaves me the dreaded v-shaped spot to fill. I'm open to any style, but both my arms are probably going to be filled with traditional pieces eventually so whatever would work as a "bridge" for the two arms...

Are there any ladies here with chest tattoos that want to show off to help inspire me? :D Or just thoughts on that space?

I know this is older but I was just going back through. Sorry for the off centered "selfie" pic with hubby but I wanted to show off my 2 day old chest piece. We didn't go up terribly high on to the shoulders to leave room for more projects. Slight bruising around collar bone.

tatt.jpg

^ That's very cool and not the kind of chestpiece I'm used to seeing women get! Since posting that, I'm still kicking around some ideas. I think someone posted a Pharaoh's Horses chest piece on a woman a while back and that's the idea I keep coming back to. I think if the horses were spread out a little more, and I added a couple American flags to the side, it would make something kind of v-shaped that would fill that space nicely. Still thinking over my options though.

Thinking something along the lines of this but adjusted for my anatomy so they don't cross into boob territory:
88d269d7e6ff3ebadbcf4ccdf08cbe50.jpg

Maybe, if we're thinking of the same one, it's very NSFW lol. The forum's images are all messed up now and I can't seem to find it. I remember first getting the idea a couple years ago after seeing some lady on here post hers, so it could very well be the same one.

But yeah, it feels like traditional "something" is right, since both my arms are going to be traditional style. Just can never make up my mind about the subject matter. That Pharaoh's horses idea has stuck with me the longest though, maybe I should just go for it someday. 

@SynesthesiaI'm ashamed to say I've lost the accompanying information, but I'm pretty sure this is the Pharaoh's Horses you're talking about, saved it from here a few years ago: 

44d5c188b9b22240b9aff85784b43ca9.jpg

It's amazing. Google reverse image search seems to suggest that it's by Prof Falcon but I can't vouch for that.

I also really love the use of space with this Marius Meyer eagle:

d20045e2edba217aeb2dbeda586a0302.jpg

Edit. Ah, found it on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/yc0-fSwB_2/?taken-by=prof_falcon 

Edited by HettyKet

I don’t know if this fits in this under this topic, but it does involve ladies and tattoos so here goes.

Being a woman, I tend to notice other women with tattoos more than men, I guess because I feel a connection with other tattooed ladies. Now that we are in summer weather, the tattoos are out there for the world to see. The local weekly farm market seems to be a place where I see a lot of women with tattoos. I’m really amazed at how many I see, and it makes me feel better about showing mine (another long story that has been discussed elsewhere here).

Since I generally tend not to notice men’s tattoos, few weeks ago I started to wonder about the proportion of women to men with tattoos. I decided to count how many tattooed men vs. women I saw.

Over about 4 visits, I found that by my count there are between 3 and 4 times more women with tattoos than men! Furthermore, I saw more large pieces (back pieces, sleeves) on women than men.

This really surprised me, and sort of excited me too! I think it is so cool that ladies have sort of grabbed the art form and run with it.

I’m aware of scientific surveys that show that slightly more women than men get tattoos, but in my observation the split was quite lopsided.

Disclaimer: I realize that my count is not a scientific survey, and could be skewed by the fact that in hot weather women tend to show more skin than men, and so it stands to reason that you would see more lady tattoos. Also, the market tends to have a higher proportion of women attending than men anyway. And maybe there is some sort of demographic thing going on regarding the type of woman or man who frequents farm markets, yada yada yada. 

But I thought it was interesting nevertheless.