The ladies thread

SeeSea

Just wanted to share my experience as it relates to the issue of clothing/bra/healing as has been discussed recently. 

I was tattooed last week on my back/shoulder, right where the bra strap goes, lol, basically from the top of my shoulder right to where the strap ends, so no getting around it, other than racerback style bras, but I don't have any and didn't feel like fooling with getting one.

I used Tegaderm over the site (this time I applied the film much earlier than I usually do and it came off much easier, but that is for another thread!) and I was able to wear my bra just like normal and had NO problems. I just went on about my daily life and business as usual, even though I had added about a 6x5 or so tattoo to my shoulderblade area. It just felt like a moderate sunburn, with the film pulling on my skin somewhat, and that was it. Kind of a set it and forget it type situation, and I'm very pleased.

After reading through the thread and beginning to wonder about how I was going to manage my clothing in this area, etc., I decided just to not worry at all about it and that worked out well for me this time, though the Tegaderm made the difference (I sound like I work for them but I don't!), since it protects the new tattoo and makes it much less sensitive, so the bra strap didn't bother it like it would have if I had to rig up some sort of saran wrap or other dressing that would stick and be messy, etc. With this there is no mess at all and you don't do anything but wait for 4 days or so. 

Now I just need to start saving for more tattoos!

I guess this is not strictly limited to us girls, but how do those of you with leg tattoos handle hair removal? I've always been a (lazy) shaver because I mainly wear jeans or other long trousers, but since getting my calf tattoo I seem to like wearing skirts more (love seeing the tattoo rather than wanting to show it off), but my skin hates shaving and I hate seeing stubble on my light coloured portrait tattoo's face... According to most sources it seems like waxing should be safe on healed tattoos, so I was thinking to try it. I'm not sure when exactly would the tattoo be considered healed enough for waxing though - I've carefully shaved the tattooed area twice already at ~3 weeks but it's obviously still very fresh... Any ideas of how long I should wait/any other tips for me?

I wouldn't feel comfortable waxing until more like 2 or 3 months into the healing. Shaving I think you're fine with once the scabbing and peeling goes away. Obviously you're not going to pull ink out or anything with waxing, but I tend to have long periods of light peeling or wrinkly looking "new skin" once my tattoo is done healing, so I would just want to wait until my skin was back to normal to not disturb the area any more. Waxing is traumatic enough on your skin without factoring in a healing wound. Maybe I'm overly cautious.

Here's another question related to shaving and tattoos: does anyone know if there's any truth to the myth of tattooing slowing/stopping hair growth? It could be my imagination, but it does seem like my tattooed leg gets less hairy than my untattooed leg, maybe just because the hair blends in with the tattoo so I don't notice it as much. I've heard about people getting their armpits done because of this and the stories about tattooing affecting sweat glands. If any of that is true, I will seriously entertain the notion of getting my armpits done!

2 hours ago, Synesthesia said:

I wouldn't feel comfortable waxing until more like 2 or 3 months into the healing. Shaving I think you're fine with once the scabbing and peeling goes away. Obviously you're not going to pull ink out or anything with waxing, but I tend to have long periods of light peeling or wrinkly looking "new skin" once my tattoo is done healing, so I would just want to wait until my skin was back to normal to not disturb the area any more. Waxing is traumatic enough on your skin without factoring in a healing wound. Maybe I'm overly cautious.

Here's another question related to shaving and tattoos: does anyone know if there's any truth to the myth of tattooing slowing/stopping hair growth? It could be my imagination, but it does seem like my tattooed leg gets less hairy than my untattooed leg, maybe just because the hair blends in with the tattoo so I don't notice it as much. I've heard about people getting their armpits done because of this and the stories about tattooing affecting sweat glands. If any of that is true, I will seriously entertain the notion of getting my armpits done!

I'd second all that, and definitely wait, and also, @Kurgana, you are right - it seems like you want to "fix up" the area of the tattoo more than the plain skin! 

I guess we'll have to get the guy's opinion about whether tattooed skin is less hairy - when they get their legs and arms done do they have reduced hair growth? I can see from an anatomical standpoint that it could affect the hair follicle, causing it to go on strike, as it were, but I do see chaps with hairy arms and tattoos, so not sure if that is something that might wear off over time. Great question!!

P.S. My own leg hair is starting to grow less now that I'm older but I do have hair growing on my tattooed legs, and peach fuzz on my shoulders, but I would venture to say that the leg hair could possibly be thinner and weaker...

Edited by LizBee

18 hours ago, LizBee said:

I guess we'll have to get the guy's opinion about whether tattooed skin is less hairy - when they get their legs and arms done do they have reduced hair growth?

i'd say NO, there's just as much hair post-tattoo. it's just visually less noticeable against a backdrop of black and coloured ink.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't read this whole thread - so apologies if someone gave the answer to this earlier, but can one do lazer hair removal on an area that has been tattooed? I'm just wondering whether it would be better to  lazer an area for a few months before having a tattoo there. I wouldn't mind waiting a few months afterwards to ensure its healed BEFORE doing lazer hair removal, but don't want to find out it is no longer an option when its too late!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2016 at 8:31 AM, soraya said:

I don’t know if this fits in this under this topic, but it does involve ladies and tattoos so here goes.

Being a woman, I tend to notice other women with tattoos more than men, I guess because I feel a connection with other tattooed ladies. Now that we are in summer weather, the tattoos are out there for the world to see. The local weekly farm market seems to be a place where I see a lot of women with tattoos. I’m really amazed at how many I see, and it makes me feel better about showing mine (another long story that has been discussed elsewhere here).

Since I generally tend not to notice men’s tattoos, few weeks ago I started to wonder about the proportion of women to men with tattoos. I decided to count how many tattooed men vs. women I saw.

Over about 4 visits, I found that by my count there are between 3 and 4 times more women with tattoos than men! Furthermore, I saw more large pieces (back pieces, sleeves) on women than men.

This really surprised me, and sort of excited me too! I think it is so cool that ladies have sort of grabbed the art form and run with it.

I’m aware of scientific surveys that show that slightly more women than men get tattoos, but in my observation the split was quite lopsided.

Disclaimer: I realize that my count is not a scientific survey, and could be skewed by the fact that in hot weather women tend to show more skin than men, and so it stands to reason that you would see more lady tattoos. Also, the market tends to have a higher proportion of women attending than men anyway. And maybe there is some sort of demographic thing going on regarding the type of woman or man who frequents farm markets, yada yada yada. 

But I thought it was interesting nevertheless.

There is also the issue of confirmation bias, which is kind of like if you just bought a red SUV, then all you see are red SUVs :) but it seems like there are a lot of factors that could influence why we may see more women with tattoos in warmer weather. On a side note, I always go through the dreaded phase at the beginning of summer when suddenly you're the "tattooed woman" and people feel way more comfortable complimenting a woman on her tattoos, but after a while, I just like to be left alone. Le sigh. I never understood the point of complimenting someone's tattoos. I obviously am happy with them and like them. They weren't forced on me, I did this to myself. Sometimes it just feels like being cat-called. Or maybe I just like complaining about people (and like to grocery shop in peace). :D

On August 3, 2016 at 7:11 PM, HaydenRose said:

There is also the issue of confirmation bias, ... 

Confirmation bias may be a factor, although I tried to count men's tattoos too, but yes, I do tend to notice other women with tattoos more than men, and it is probably because I have them myself, and because I am currently very aware of the issue of displaying public tattoos (see below)

...at the beginning of summer when suddenly you're the "tattooed woman"

I'm still in the gradual process of "coming out" and getting comfortable letting my tattoos show in public. At this point, I tend to like it when people make comments (thus far they have mostly been positive), because it makes me feel better about "going public" with my tattoos. Maybe I will eventually tire of it.

...people feel way more comfortable complimenting a woman on her tattoos, but after a while, I just like to be left alone. Le sigh. I never understood the point of complimenting someone's tattoos.

I get very interested when I see another woman with an interesting tattoo, and I almost always want to compliment her or ask about it. I just like talking about tattoos. But I do struggle because I'm always thinking that maybe the person doesn't want to be bothered.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Not sure if this thread is still active but I just registered and have a few questions for ladies who've had work done on their upper thigh/hip area. I have a very regrettable shitty tattoo (I was 17, I was wasted, I was an idiot) on my upper outer thigh (so like right underneath my underwear line if that makes sense) which I've just booked to get covered up soon. Any of you ladies have any advice about what to wear to the appointment and what position am I likely to be in? Sitting/lying/standing? I was thinking I'd wear a dress that i can just pull up? I think I might feel self conscious lying on my front, I'd probably feel more comfortable lying on my side but the tattoo place I'm going to is very open plan and has a great big window out onto a busy street so don't really want to give everyone a view of my arse (definitely not my best feature!) if I'm in a dress. Also any tips for aftercare/healing specific to this area? Thanks. 

@Inkyboots Find a stretchy loose skirt and a bikini bottom that also stretches. You can wrap the extra material of the skirt around the other leg to keep it covered.  Bring a pashmina that you can use, too. Oh, and don't forget your socks.

You'll most likely be in a few positions - side, on your back and maybe on your stomach...it depends. You'll be standing for the stencil. If the shop has a large window, check to see if they have a privacy screen.

For aftercare, try to go without anything that will rub on the area for at least 14 days. Definitely nothing tight! I'm a Tegaderm girl and have used it for all of my work in the hip/thigh area. Check out the Tegaderm/Saniderm thread in the Aftercare section of the forum. Oh, and plan on not sleeping on that side for a couple of weeks. Good luck!

• 2 months later...