The ladies thread

SeeSea

Oh my god, those are horrible. It kinda looks like you're wearing an anatomical illustration of ovaries.

More seriously, my friend got a life-ruining, seemingly incurable case of carpal tunnel and god knows what else from working in the shipping dept. of ModCloth, so I don't buy from them now. I imagine a good deal of warehouses are as bad, though. (And H & M has its own set of serious problems. I hope one day to be able to buy ethically-sourced clothing without a hassle, but that's another discussion...)

I didn't know this. That sucks as I have bought some nice stuff from them before, but I will stop now. We stopped buying off Amazon a few months back when all those exposes came out - it is a huge bummer to generally have it confirmed that "too good to be true" shopping websites stay speedy and huge on other people's backs.

I have no idea how many warehouses are that bad, but I'm guessing that Amazon and ModCloth aren't the only ones. It feels arbitrary and hypocritical to boycott ModCloth only because I know someone who was affected when there are undoubtedly tons of other places I buy stuff from that have bad labor practices, but I guess it's a start. It's frustrating, though, and I guess the solution is to become better at thrifting.

• 2 weeks later...
So I'm going to have a fresh leg wound in June, and I was wondering if anyone here could recommend some lightweight, work-appropriate (doesn't need to be too formal, I can wear jeans to work) pants that wouldn't irritate it. I wore leggings for my first calf tattoo, which worked out fine, but it'll probably be too hot for those. I'm having a hard time finding something like linen or bamboo pants that doesn't look awful and cost a hundred dollars. I'm a bit fashioned-challenged, though.

What about harem pants? They're only tight at the ankles and loose everywhere else. Forever21 has quite a few with different patterns and they're not expensive at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long is clothing typically a concern over new tattoos?

Well, the concern is clothing sticking to the new tattoo, and getting all gummed up in the healing process. The goal is to keep clothing off it as long as possible. If you get "stuck" to clothing, don't pull it off, get in the shower (or run under water) until the clothing releases from the tattoo. If you can wear clothing and keep it off the tattoo, or keep pulling it away so that it doesn't stick, then go with that. Otherwise, do whatever you can to keep it from sticking. I sleep without a shirt (back tattoo) as long as possible and get creative with work shirts and bras. Definitely harder in the summer when I can't hide behind a loose sweater!!!

Not sure that answered your concern...

Well, the concern is clothing sticking to the new tattoo, and getting all gummed up in the healing process. The goal is to keep clothing off it as long as possible. If you get "stuck" to clothing, don't pull it off, get in the shower (or run under water) until the clothing releases from the tattoo. If you can wear clothing and keep it off the tattoo, or keep pulling it away so that it doesn't stick, then go with that. Otherwise, do whatever you can to keep it from sticking. I sleep without a shirt (back tattoo) as long as possible and get creative with work shirts and bras. Definitely harder in the summer when I can't hide behind a loose sweater!!!

Not sure that answered your concern...

Thanks! I haven't yet had a tattoo large enough to require careful clothing consideration yet.

What about harem pants? They're only tight at the ankles and loose everywhere else. Forever21 has quite a few with different patterns and they're not expensive at all!

I tried on a bunch of these the other day and laughed & laughed. Maybe they look amazing on people who are 5'10" and willowy.

This tattoo keeps getting larger and larger in my head and will probably end up on my thigh now, but I did find a pair of comfy non-harem pants just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

Been reading through the last few pages of this thread, and I was wondering; is anything that sits flush to a new tattoo going to irritate it? regardless of the material? I'm getting my first in August where is will still be winter in Australia, and I am required to where a skirt as part of my uniform, which I where tights or leggings under in the winter; and my tattoo is going to be right on my thigh. If I have to I will be willing to toughen up and go tightless, but I would like to hear from other people's experences. I wear leggings as pretty much my only bottom half clothing in colder weather, simply because of the comfort and soft material, and I can't wear anything loose while I'm at school anyway.

Thank you in advance for any help :)

I had my thigh done recently and wore leggings to work. They were much comfier than tights, tights felt a bit prickly and rough but leggings were fine. I wore loose skirts at home, to get as much air to it as possible. It was summer here so bare legs was easy (though I imagine the Australian winter to be pretty similar to the UK summer!)

Growltiger I can't compare seasons, but this is meant to be one of the coldest winters in a while where I live, been 8 degrees Celsius some days with wind and mist, sometimes rain, and averaging about 10 over the past few month. I don't know if that's considered a warm day in a UK winter, as it never snows here, but my own body can't cope with being outside unless I get around with leggings over tights, and multiple tops and jumpers, with scarves, gloves etc.

You confirmed what I assumed about tights being prickly, but its good to hear I could be able to wear leggings to keep the cold off, as bare legs would definitely be a trial haha :). I have some loose pants that I can wear around the house though, so I should be able to give it the space and air it needs. Thanks for your input, I feel less worried about it now.

I just recently had my thigh done, and tried using a saniderm bandage for healing. It was awesome. I wear stockings for work, so I was able to wear clothes without any issues of sticking to anything. and then at the end of the week when I peeled the second piece off (as the first piece is only worn for 24hrs) It was already healed skin and just went straight into "sunburn mode". I would suggest looking into the term type bandages for awkward clothing covered spots. I dry-healed for 11 years and I am now a convert, especially for Canadian winter tattoo sessions!

you can find my experience and photos in the saniderm post in the aftercare forum

I finally bought the Charnos Armery tights for covering my arms at work with short sleeved shirts. I'm pretty psyched about how they fit. The other type of arm sleeves I tried (I think it was tat2x sleeves) didn't work for me, they would fall down and bunch up at the top. These sleeves are great because it goes around your back, all one piece so it can't slip down. It makes it possible for me to wear this short sleeve shirt to work without having to put another shirt on underneath or cardigan on top. The sleeves don't quite come all the way to my wrists, good thing my tattoos don't either... Here's a before & after: post-1642-146168869908_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just remembered it's summer and I should give it a good hard thought if I want anything done on my legs this year due to the clothing sticking on tattoo problem. Made the mistake of getting my first leg tattoo in winter and then having to peel the clothing off my skin :( Or maybe I should just invest in some JNCO's and relive my early teen years. I mean, the 90s ARE ALIVE.

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of helpful advice and good chat on this thread - so great to have it, thank you.

I'm having tattoos done on consecutive days next week, it just worked out like that as one tattooer is on a week-long visit from Canada (I'm in the UK). It'll be the longest I've been away from my ten month old and I only marginally more excited about the tattoos than I am about the seven hours total train journey and carrying only a phone, wallet and keys :D

I have questions, many questions, if anyone can help. One tattoo is going to be upper back/shoulder. Will I be asked to lie down, or sit up? I feel vulnerable lying on my front for some reason, and will make sure I'm wearing jeans and boots if so. Clothing-wise, I have a nursing vest that sits under your bra, so was planning on wearing that with a shirt that I can put on backwards during the session. Does that sound OK? Finally, when you're healing, is it plausible to just tuck one bra strap under your armpit if you have big boobs, or should I go and find a bra with very soft straps/a halterneck?

I have questions, many questions, if anyone can help. One tattoo is going to be upper back/shoulder. Will I be asked to lie down, or sit up? I feel vulnerable lying on my front for some reason, and will make sure I'm wearing jeans and boots if so. Clothing-wise, I have a nursing vest that sits under your bra, so was planning on wearing that with a shirt that I can put on backwards during the session. Does that sound OK? Finally, when you're healing, is it plausible to just tuck one bra strap under your armpit if you have big boobs, or should I go and find a bra with very soft straps/a halterneck?

As for the sitting/laying down, I've been asked both - but mostly to lie down when they are working on the shoulder. If it's too uncomfortable let them know.

As for bra - again do what works I'm unable to go braless so I went with the soft tank/ vest under the bra - that and I wore a bra with removable straps so i had one strap on and no strap on the healing side. It takes a bit of trial and error. Good luck!

One tattoo is going to be upper back/shoulder. Will I be asked to lie down, or sit up? I feel vulnerable lying on my front for some reason, and will make sure I'm wearing jeans and boots if so. Clothing-wise, I have a nursing vest that sits under your bra, so was planning on wearing that with a shirt that I can put on backwards during the session.

I sit in a massage chair with my face through the ring. I generally wear a camisole (one of the ones with the boob rack) during most of my back work - I just move it all around to fit whatever part of my back we are working on. For the location you are talking about, you might take one one strap down under your arm pit (I also do that when healing). I generally take both straps down to pull it lower. But since my chest is pressed against the cushion of the massage chair, clothing doesn't move or slide once we start. And I wear a backwards hoodie. Actually, two of them because I get cold easily. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Helllloooo Ladies!

We have already discussed how being female and having tattoos often seem to invite strangers to act inappropriately on many levels. And I definitely found this to be true when I had just a couple, largish, visible tattoos on my arms. But NOW, I find it is the exact opposite. When I venture out of my life bubble into the normal world I find people give me a wide physical berth and that when I notice men noticing my tattoos, they avert their eyes/avoid eye contact. It's been really fascinating and I have been REALLY enjoying the space.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience as they have approached more visible full coverage.

***I am far from fully covered by our standards but have recently realized that in a v-neck, short sleeved t-shirt and cuffed jeans that I look preeeetty covered (minus neck and hands)

Great thread and awesome advice! I'm getting a tattoo on my thigh in ~2 months which will be during serious winter up here in the north of Sweden and I'm thinking shorts for the actual session and a long skirt/dress with loose long johns in something soft, like meriono wool (the kind kind of course).

KBee, I'm nowhere near covered in any sense but have of course (like every other female in the world, tattooed or not) dealt with the unwanted male attention. Such a waste of energy... It sounds awesome if they (men I guess) actually become kind of afraid of you the more coverage you get :)

(sorry if there are some spelling mistakes, my browser atm only corrects my swedish)