The ladies thread

SeeSea

A friend just posted this blog post on Facebook - I thought the ladies with kids might appreciate it!

Why You Should Never, Ever, Ever Get A Tattoo (but Having a Baby is Fine) | The Ugly Volvo

I love this. Especially because my MIL is constantly trying to tell me I should stop getting tattooed and instead save my money for the *future* which = her grandbabies.

Don't really feel like being broke just yet...

Haha, I'm still chuckling. Still on my way to my first tattoo but having a sweet 2 year old, this pretty much puts a lot of my recent thoughts into nice words, thanks for sharing!

Just think of it this way - even though getting the tattoo might make you feel like screaming bloody murder like you would at an uncontrollable toddler who is knocking over glasses full of sugary beverages while waving around the remote control - the tattooing time is precious MOMMY time that you get ALL TO YOURSELF! You will love this. It will be worth the discomfort.

And get a big tattoo. Then you have an excuse to hand off the baby when he/she is in terror mode while saying, "Sorry honey, I have another session and my tattooer says I can't go longer than 3 weeks between sittings. I'll be back in about 6 hours. Love you."

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this on the Full back piece experience thread and was advised to post it here as well, so here goes:

So I have a modesty related concern, directed mostly at women with full back pieces or tattooers.. I would say I'm fairly comfortable being naked, but not with an audience, and the shop I'm getting my full back piece at [with partial buttocks] is pretty open, and there's two big windows by his station [in retrospect I should've directed these concerns to my artist already, but until then...] and a big parking lot can see directly in.

Any respectable artist will cover the windows and possibly provide a screen from the rest of the shop, yeah?

I will have to get pretty naked, the most I can see keeping on is my undies but they'd have to be pulled down anyway...do you ever bring a blanket to cover your front side while your stencil is being put on?

Any advice related to being completely naked while being tattooed will be extremely appreciated.

@idyllsend While not a lady, I can say that most shops have some sort of barriers they can place to block the view of the shop, and if you address things in advance, it'll be taken care of. Even with walls in place, we often suggest to women that, if it helps them feel more comfortable, they can head to the bathroom and put on a hoodie backwards as covering (and to keep their arms warm).

We also have a very large mirrored window in our backroom that is right next to a station where one of our tattooers was going to be doing a tattoo in a very, very intimate location. To make sure she knew we were going to make her feel at ease, before we put up our walls, our counter person and I made a big sheet out of dental bibs and blocked it off. Not saying they have huge sheets to block off the window, but if they can't do something to help you out, then there's some sort of issue. Definitely say something when you get there, though. Even if it's initially just a question to the counter person.

Okay, I found the article - this is what I do, like the women here (without the bouffant chignon hair) with the black drapey things, plus yoga pants.

Bum and fundoshi and warning for the following link if you are at work.

The gangster-turned-tattooist trying to end Japan's discrimination against people with body art | Mail Online

I saw that people have been talking about good ways to cover up if you're getting a back tattoo, but what about an under-bust tattoo, especially one that has part of the tattoo going up in between your breasts :confused: any ideas?

Strapless plunge bra worn upside down??? Could work by itself, or add some KT-Tape or something to seal in the girls on the underside.

I was thinking about using KT-tape as a fake stick-on bra (I'm small).

(Edited to add) Actually, the KT tape would probably extend too far, so consider toupee tape instead, used inside the bra around the bottom. It's little strips all the stars use to pull off those plunging necklines!

@Zillah, you *must* share this!

I've seen photos of ladies with two medical bandages taped on. You know, like a square of gauze with medical tape round the edges. That seems pretty flexible in terms of placement plus means you could easily move around without danger of them falling off.

The sock thing makes me think of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers album cover with the willy socks. @Zillah : photo or it didn't happen ;)

I'm almost tempted to say just use some sort of tape on the nipples and let the girls hang out IF you aren't facing a lot of people in the chair/have a curtain. Breast are only sexual if you make them so. Every woman (well almost) has them so I don't think it's a big deal.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I've seen photos of ladies with two medical bandages taped on. You know, like a square of gauze with medical tape round the edges. That seems pretty flexible in terms of placement plus means you could easily move around without danger of them falling off.

That seems like it would work.

Stick on bras never wanna work for me :P

If its in an area where no one can see other then me and the artist then yah I think I would be fine with nothing, I'm sure that they have seen boobs before. :)

The sock thing makes me think of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers album cover with the willy socks. @Zillah : photo or it didn't happen ;)

I've seen that too - that's what I'm planning to use when we start work on my front (the tape/bandages, not socks lol).

Here are some of my picks for tattoo comfort:

Thighs/legs - Women's - Shorts - Side String Shorts - Shakti Activewear

They are super cute, comfy, secure through the lady bits, don't stain from ink and offer some coverage adjustability. They run around $50 on the Shakti website but you can probably find them for a little less.

Comfort bras - Shop || Welcome to The Coobie Bra Store || The World's Most Comfortable Bra

They also offer a bandeau (one with and one without pads)

Shop || Welcome to The Coobie Bra Store || The World's Most Comfortable Bra

They are very soft and comfortable. The straps can be adjusted to racerback. Google "coobie coupon" before you order as they are pretty good about offering discounts on the reg.

Chest tattoos:

When I got mine done at the SFO convention, I wore a peasanty, off-the-shoulder top (the kind with the elastic!) over a bandeau. This allowed for maximum adjustability while still providing coverage. I have attached an example. Luckily, they are all the rage right now so fairly easy to find. Or, google "off the shoulder tops".

Rib/Stomach tattoos:

I haven't gotten work here yet but this is my plan....fashion tape and a hand towel. When I see my message therapist and she works my abdomen (Lymphatic drainage from so many tattoooos this last year!:eek: ), she uses a hand towel across my chest to preserve my modesty and keep me warm. I figure a big ole strip of fashion tape across the chest above the ladies would keep that bad boy in place while allowing for adjustment.

MY BIG QUESTION FOR YOU LADEEEZ IS...abdomen tattoos now, or after I have a baby?

Does anyone have experience with what happens to a tattoo during/after pregnancy? I asked my most recent artist and he said that tattooing on stretch marks doesn't take so well so that has me worried about waiting until after. Thoughts...?

And thanks so much for this thread!!! I LOVE it!!:o

MY BIG QUESTION FOR YOU LADEEEZ IS...abdomen tattoos now, or after I have a baby?

Does anyone have experience with what happens to a tattoo during/after pregnancy? I asked my most recent artist and he said that tattooing on stretch marks doesn't take so well so that has me worried about waiting until after. Thoughts...?

My sensible head says wait until after. I have a mehndi type thing up my side, and where it stretched it has blown right out. I'll try to add a photo in a minute. That isn't even on my stomach, it is directly underneath my armpit, level with my bellybutton. It doesn't matter for mine, because it is a tiny line in a big tattoo, but it would be a shame to trash a lovely new one :-)

I didn't get any stretch marks (though my belly button piercing hole looks like a wind tunnel!) so it might not be a problem anyway. You might only get a few to none. Much better to wait and see, then incorporate them if necessary, I'd say.

Your body changes in weird (and wonderful? Hmmm...) ways when you are pregnant. I had an emergency c-section, and my stomach is now slightly wonky plus I had that thing where your muscles split so I have a strange flat line up the middle of it. It stores fat in a completely different way to how it did before as well.

I'm painting a really attractive picture of myself here :D On the plus side, my arms have NEVER been in this good shape.

With all that said... I don't know how old you are, but if you are young and babies are way off in the future, then part of me thinks why not get your stomach done now when you can enjoy it. Tbh, I wouldn't show my stomach off now anyway, whereas I did loads in my youth, so having a trashed tattoo on it wouldn't really matter to anyone but my husband and I (and he's not fussy).

So, in summary, I don't know! But my experience is that they will stretch. Basically, you can't predict what your body will do during pregnancy (especially if you have multiple). I'd say do some more research from real tattooists who can tell you their views/experience on tattooing over stretch marks versus touching up a tattoo that has been stretched. I hope that is some help, sorry for waffle (I'm off work sick, brain is not engaged).