Lochlan

What if you mix up a bunch of styles on your body, especially something where people try to get some sort of theme and coherence on, like an arm? If you like the neo-traditional and cartoon stuff what if you get that and then some older sort of tattoos, something like Dietzel/Sailor Jerry/Eric Maaske or something like that, will you just wind up looking like a douche? That kind of has me nervous because I like both styles.

What if you mix up a bunch of styles on your body, especially something where people try to get some sort of theme and coherence on, like an arm? If you like the neo-traditional and cartoon stuff what if you get that and then some older sort of tattoos, something like Dietzel/Sailor Jerry/Eric Maaske or something like that, will you just wind up looking like a douche? That kind of has me nervous because I like both styles.

If you go to good tattoo artists you will not have a problem. Do some styles mix better than others? Yes. Does this mean you should avoid any style? Probably no.

Try searching the forum, as there is some wealth of information covered already and you can get answers to almost any question. Check out the following threads.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-advice/1641-mixing-styles-themes.html

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-designs/1208-clashing-different-style.html

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-advice/797-collecting-different-styles.html

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first tattoo around my 18th birthday with a close friend who shares the same birthday week. I got a small eye of horus on my left shoulder blade. I chose this one because Bif Naked had the same tattoo and I liked the meaning! Today it is blurry and does not look like an eye of horus at all. I liked it but now I don't and would like to cover it up.

I would focus on the fact that you have a very talented tattooer willing to give you the tattoo you wanted in the first place.

To kind of answer your question, No our shop would not make someone get color that only wanted black and grey. I try to stress to people that pretty much anything can be a black and grey or color tattoo and everyone loves doing both. I would ask input on color for someone getting a color tattoo and at times would suggest them to change their suggested color scheme in order to have a mix of warm and cool colors that compliment each other, but ultimately it's the customers choice what if any colors they want.

Sounds like there was definitely a communication breakdown somewhere along the line.

that tattooer sounds like a lame brain. as far as picking colors, i usually tell the folks tattooing me do whatever the hell they want color wise. hasn't failed me yet.

• 3 weeks later...

i always saw ganesh pictures, and never really understood more than that they looked cool. well back in december my father took me to china town in las vegas and i saw this little ganesh statue. i bought it because it looked cool and on my way home i googled what it meant. I loved the whole lord of wisdom, remover of obstacles, god of prosperity and remover of ego and vanity angle to him. I became fascinated with the whole of hinduism. and even though I liked shiva and rama way more than ganesh, as far as a personal connection was felt, I still loved the symbolism and imagery of ganesh, and i knew that unlike a tattoo of shiva or rama that it would be easier to make look good.

but i wasnt sure what i really wanted. i had wanted a tattoo since I was in middle school, like most of the kids i had gone to school with. i had done tons of research into tattoos in general and was thinking of all the stuff I wanted but i was afraid to get a fucked up version of anything. My friend showed me her tattoos done at a local shop so I sent the guy this picture:

405423_3228908846189_1825953730_n.jpg

and asked him to copy it exactly. he said yeah sure come in next week.

I go in and he shows me a new drawing, saying he preferred to do something better and asked me my opinion. I loved it from the moment I saw it

404309_351075954911588_100000275601350_1288552_392552271_n.jpg

it was 20x better than what I had planned. Sorry for double posting the same tattoo in two threads though.

he did the outline and then asked me, "well, i hate the new school idea of putting pinks and shit into something like this, let me show you a color that would go well with this" and he pulled out the most god awful shade of orange-gold-brown. he said it would look better on my skin that pink and told me to trust him. I told him to go ahead then since it was his job to make those kind of calls. which is how my elephant god went from pink to the beautiful golden color it is. He wanted to do some background in purple but as he reached for the blue ink to make purple ink I told him that the shade of blue he had in his hand was my favorite color. That sealed the deal.

Now that I look at my tattoo however, I feel like the flower should be a different color. Idk though if I am going to change it yet. I still really love the whole thing but I think the flower could use a new color

I got my very first this past Thursday! I planned it out for a while and finally pulled the trigger. It's a Doozer from the show Fraggle Rock. I got it because that's what all of my family calls me and it's just who I am. I went with the ribs, pretty nice spot to start my tattooed life with! My artist was Josh from Lucky Rabbit (Muncie, IN) and he did a bad ass job!

My first tattoo took a long time to draw, even though it is so simple...but my artist listened to what i wanted, and he did exactly what i wanted. It is feminine( in my eyes anyways), and put on my lower arm ( right) so i see it always.

The leaves are for my beliefs ( vegan)

The big heart is to hold all my students i carry with me since i have taught many years and that have passed away or dealt with unspeakable abuse

The 2 drops of dew contain initials; one for a friend i had the priviledge of helping in her journey as she died of cancer at the age of 47. The other the initial of my sister who won her battle to that horrible disease.

I went to Cris Cleen for my first tattoo last June or July after seeing his tattoos online. I told him to come up with something that said in image form what my grandpa told me in a story when I was little. Anyway, it's basically a lady head in a mirror with a gloved hand holding the mirror. It's pretty big, covering my right thigh from about four inches above the knee to about two inches below crotch level. I like it, but it's not my favorite tattoo that I have. I was really excited about it when I got it because I had been researching tattoos for a few years prior to last summer, and it was great to finally get one. Also, some people say that Cris is a dick in real life, but he was really nice when I met him, and it was a good overall experience, being tattooed by him.

I'm in the process of just trying to figure out where I should start, I have so many ideas floating in my head and in some folders on my computer. I just don't know where to start because I want all the tattoos to feel like one big piece. :p

Just got my first tattoo 3 days ago by Josh Wrede at Bound by Design :) I've wanted it for years. I would love some feedback on it since I'm kinda in the freaking out stage because I'm such a perfectionist and I keep over-analyzing it lol.Going back for color in 2 weeks.

Heres a link:

http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/upload/130956301635443429_qTt8Ha8z.jpg