Lochlan

Just got my first tattoo 3 days ago. :) I've wanted it for years. I would love some feedback on it since I'm kinda in the freaking out stage because I'm such a perfectionist and I keep over-analyzing it lol.Going back for color in 2 weeks.

Heres a link:

http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/upload/130956301635443429_qTt8Ha8z.jpg

I like it a lot. The linework appears to be very solid and it's a great design.

Always credit the artist on photos . . .

Just got my first tattoo 3 days ago by Josh Wrede at Bound by Design :) I've wanted it for years. I would love some feedback on it since I'm kinda in the freaking out stage because I'm such a perfectionist and I keep over-analyzing it lol.Going back for color in 2 weeks.

Heres a link:

http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/upload/130956301635443429_qTt8Ha8z.jpg

Doesn't look too shabby, but being a perfectionist myself, I'm going to have to examine it much more closely before I can render an opinion...

• 2 weeks later...

I chose my first tattoo based on conversations I had with some uncles who are in their late 60's. We decided on a phoenix together as a family. They explained that I needed to research designs, shops, artists, and when I had a list of a minimum of 5-10 shops as well as a few ideas, to hit the pavement. I spent a Saturday 2 months ago driving from shop to shop in my area (southern California) discussing items that I found on this LST forums.

I asked how long the shop has been in operation, viewed at least 75 portfolios (a good 60+ were kind of laughable considering they should try to sell me not horrify me), I asked about their sterilization process, cross contamination preventative methods, how long they've been tattooing, if they liked what they did, if they ever had an apprenticeship (which 5 said man, I taught myself so I know things they can't even think about teaching me) you get the idea that I was thorough.

I decided on Justin Jakus from Black Diamond Tattoo in Venice, CA. He is in his early 30's with an outstanding portfolio which seemed very art driven. We hit it off as far as sense of humor and vision for the phoenix as far as the shading, coloring, and what the phoenix was going to project. We kicked ideas back and forth for a few weeks and after saving up enough money, $150 per hour / 5 hour session, I got the work done.

My uncles told me that tattoos felt like a small blowtorch to your soul so naturally I had a thought that tattoos were going to break my pain tolerance. When I got the first line, I chuckled. The tattoo artist asked, "Friends lied to you didn't they, it's not that bad right?" I confirmed that I was had and that I was good to go. 5 hours later I was done with the outline with all the black shading and am looking forward to finishing it up with colors in 2 weeks.

The artist and I agreed it was probably best to start with the meaty spot on me for ease in first tattoo and allow for a larger piece for details to show.

I am very happy with the tattoo and can guarantee a future tattoo. (maybe my next will be by a Mr. Tim Hendricks?) A guy can dream right? :)

I chose my first tattoo based on conversations I had with some uncles who are in their late 60's. We decided on a phoenix together as a family. They explained that I needed to research designs, shops, artists, and when I had a list of a minimum of 5-10 shops as well as a few ideas, to hit the pavement. I spent a Saturday 2 months ago driving from shop to shop in my area (southern California) discussing items that I found on this LST forums.

I asked how long the shop has been in operation, viewed at least 75 portfolios (a good 60+ were kind of laughable considering they should try to sell me not horrify me), I asked about their sterilization process, cross contamination preventative methods, how long they've been tattooing, if they liked what they did, if they ever had an apprenticeship (which 5 said man, I taught myself so I know things they can't even think about teaching me) you get the idea that I was thorough.

I decided on Justin Jakus from Black Diamond Tattoo in Venice, CA. He is in his early 30's with an outstanding portfolio which seemed very art driven. We hit it off as far as sense of humor and vision for the phoenix as far as the shading, coloring, and what the phoenix was going to project. We kicked ideas back and forth for a few weeks and after saving up enough money, $150 per hour / 5 hour session, I got the work done.

My uncles told me that tattoos felt like a small blowtorch to your soul so naturally I had a thought that tattoos were going to break my pain tolerance. When I got the first line, I chuckled. The tattoo artist asked, "Friends lied to you didn't they, it's not that bad right?" I confirmed that I was had and that I was good to go. 5 hours later I was done with the outline with all the black shading and am looking forward to finishing it up with colors in 2 weeks.

The artist and I agreed it was probably best to start with the meaty spot on me for ease in first tattoo and allow for a larger piece for details to show.

I am very happy with the tattoo and can guarantee a future tattoo. (maybe my next will be by a Mr. Tim Hendricks?) A guy can dream right? :)

Awesome!

Also it doesn't take dreaming it takes motivation. Save money, contact and try and get tattooed. Travelling might be in order. I've been tattooed by some damn good artists and all it took was some communication. They are not unapproachable!

I got my first tattoo 8 years ago when I was 23.

Black/Grey Eagle I did in two sessions because I had a few first time jitters and I was worried about any pain that is a folk tale to stop kids getting them.

I few weeks later I added the full colour nature background in another two sessions I just went to a Kings Cross Studio in Sydney not knowing much about tattoos at the time and the fact my friends had been there and all of there work looked decent enough for someone that did not know much about tattoos..

My ex girlfriend used to say it looks like a 5 year old coloured it in, Its not world class work but I still like it and it has a bit off character to it and good memories behind it. 8 years on i have kept it out of the sun and still maintains its colour well

I might even fill it out more in the coming years with a sun and have the eagle swooping down on a snake.

I had a guy with no ink see it recently and really liked it asking how much i paid for it and then he asked how much I paid for my Half Sleeve by Marco Serio he was shocked when I told him the price of the Half Sleeve and went to have a good look at the whole work side on you should have seen his eyes light up before he said OMG that is beautiful.

Heres a pic of my first Tattoo done in Kings Cross,Sydney

n1110262616_355073_2980647.jpg

My first and only at the moment is my zodiac sign. It is a symbol for my mother (passionate about zodiac signs) as well as myself (as I am a Virgo). To me, it's a nice way of always having a part of my mother with me, and also an easy way to talk about it when I'm asked.

This is currently my only tattoo, done by Johannes(Black Stallion Tattoo) who now works at Good Faith in Brookline, MA.

B8TNncTq.jpg

I'd wanted a tattoo since I was 18. I'd been throwing around a lot of ideas in my head of band-related tattoos but couldn't settle on where I'd start. I'd been researching artists for a while and one day stumbled on the stencil for basically this bear that Johannes had on his Facebook saying that he wanted to do the bear on someone. No one had replied, so I volunteered and ended up getting it done at the Rochester convention in May.

This is currently my only tattoo, done by Johannes(Black Stallion Tattoo) who now works at Good Faith in Brookline, MA.

B8TNncTq.jpg

I'd wanted a tattoo since I was 18. I'd been throwing around a lot of ideas in my head of band-related tattoos but couldn't settle on where I'd start. I'd been researching artists for a while and one day stumbled on the stencil for basically this bear that Johannes had on his Facebook saying that he wanted to do the bear on someone. No one had replied, so I volunteered and ended up getting it done at the Rochester convention in May.

Thanks for sharing this. Added Johannes to my list of Boston artists to check out.

• 5 months later...

B8TNncTq.jpg

Thats one fierce beast you got there. Just curious, do you shave your legs or did the tattoo process somehow stop hair growth?

my first was of course done i a kitchen! equipment sterilized in boiling water! No stencil or anything, draw it on and go!

snakethingy on back of neurosis - enemy of the sun album. in black not red as on the record cover.

some lines are...well not straight but overall i'm satisfied. will never cover it. ever.

• 3 weeks later...

That bear is a tough first tattoo, nice choice! Mine is kinda dorky but real representative of who I was when I was 18. It's just a skull with the cap removed and the brains sticking out. No pic right now, I'll get to it. I had a different idea (tribal, it was the 90's so don't judge!) but when I got to the shop I picked this design off the wall because it had brains. I know, cool story bro!

Anyway, I don't regret it. I wouldn't choose it now, but it's who I was then and it's fun to remember. It's also on my shin right on the bone. I had to prove to my friends I could "take the pain maaaan!" haha. Being 18. WTF?!

I got my first tattoo a few months ago while on holiday in America. I was 17 at the time and had heard that law required you to be 18 to get one. When we got to Miami a guy said I could get one with my parents permission. I thought it was important, as this was my first tattoo, to get a tattoo which meant something to me. I went with a lion for what it symbolises and went pretty big, 8 hours in one sitting. None of my friends or family have tattoos and were all a bit surprised to see me get one. They asked the usual questions like "won't you regret it?" and "how do you plan on getting a job with that?" (im studying to go into corporate business). I just shrugged those questions off because none of that concerned me. If you get a tattoo which means something to you, you will never regret it and you are getting it for yourself not others.

So here's my first. I was 18, it was 1999. I sometimes think about keeping the skull but getting the tribal bits covered or blended into something else. But fuck it. It's who I was, it was a sign of the times. Again, I wouldn't choose it now, but I don't regret or hide it. Despite my shitty cell phone shot it still looks pretty unfaded in person. I stay out of the sun though.

rgqWYhr.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...

I chose my first tattoo a long time ago I just never knew how to make it work on my body, my first tattoo was finally done last month(February 2013). My grandfather was in the Navy. He had tattoos all over his arms, dancing ladies, navy patches, and hinges. He also had bugs bunny on his stomach that said "What's up Doc?" at his crotch. He had a pig on one foot and a rooster on the other and the reasoning behind it was that you wouldn't drown if you had them.

I loved his hinges the most. Being that I'm a gal I didn't want big ol' metal plates on my arm. So I modernized it a bit and did an olive hinge with scroll work in place of the metal plates. I keep telling myself that I should be saying it's too big and it's too dark but I love it and I don't think either of those things. It's like my grandfather is right here with me and I get glimpses of him every time I see it. He passed away suddenly 30 years ago and this tattoo is an honor to finally wear in his memory all of these years later. I love you Glenn Wayne Dalton.

chris_s_tatoo_2013_thumb.jpg