travelling and tattooing in other countries

couple years ago i had a horrible situation regarding this subject. short story was. going to england to work in friends shop. got detained and questioned. when questioned i told ol boy i was visiting friends and was going to tattoo them. guy questioning me told me since tattooing is my profession that if i have any equipment that goes along with said profession in their eyes i was trying to live and work in england and so i was denied entry. then went back the next year but had a friend and native of england carry my equipment through and everything was fine. does everyone actually go as far as getting work visas or am i just going about this the wrong way. any advice would be welcomed. thanks in advance.

Mail your equipment ahead to the tattoo shop. Makes life easier.

i second that...i go to canada at least once a year and they always give me a hard time. so i decided to mail my equipment and it was much easier.

i lived and work in england back in '02 and didnt have any problems but things always change. im guessing that the london convention has brought a lot of attention to whats going on.

there's a certain uk tattoo blog that is part of the problem. they have posted info about peoples' visits to the uk and where they are working, potentially creating a bad situation for the tattooers they mentioned. myself and a few others have boycotted this blog based on this and the fact that the kid just takes pics off peoples' facebooks and posts on his blog...

there's a certain uk tattoo blog that is part of the problem. they have posted info about peoples' visits to the uk and where they are working, potentially creating a bad situation for the tattooers they mentioned. myself and a few others have boycotted this blog based on this and the fact that the kid just takes pics off peoples' facebooks and posts on his blog...

I followed that blog for a bit, but lost interest. I am 36 and I think that it is geared to a slightly younger crowd.

• 1 year later...