3D Printers...for tattoos

In my experience, a tattoo artist has always made my ideas (or that of friends I know getting tattoos) WAY better. If I'd input my ideas into a machine then had them put on me it would look a mess. There is no substitute for an artist's eye (although this doesn't mean you couldn't have a tattooer operate the machine :p).

I have to agree with previous posts, there is so much to think about while the tattoo is happening I can't see this taking off any time in the near future. Who knows, is there a possibility of it being applied in medical tattooing, where artistry and training is perhaps less important?

A well-functioning automatic tattoo machine (which I doubt the one described here is) might have the potential to produce

much more "even" lines and shading, and perhaps do some things that can't be done by hand.

Then wouldn't it just be more one tool that a good tattooer could use?

i.e. similar to the way a contemporary musician can choose between computer sequenced and

produced sounds to music made on acoustic instruments. And a good artist can pick and choose anything on this "spectrum"

of tools that can help them achieve what they're aiming for...

A well-functioning automatic tattoo machine (which I doubt the one described here is) might have the potential to produce

much more "even" lines and shading, and perhaps do some things that can't be done by hand.

Then wouldn't it just be more one tool that a good tattooer could use?

i.e. similar to the way a contemporary musician can choose between computer sequenced and

produced sounds to music made on acoustic instruments. And a good artist can pick and choose anything on this "spectrum"

of tools that can help them achieve what they're aiming for...

What worries me is that as the technology advances software will become increasingly user-friendly to the point that even a child will be able to operate it. Not all tattoo artists need a Fine Arts background, but I think we can all agree that some knowledge of a Color Wheel sure does come in handy when designing a tattoo; especially if it has color. For the ones that don't contain color, what about things like composition and placement? Technology will allow you to apply really well-drawn (not necessarily GOOD) tattoos in bad areas using shitty color palettes. The upside being you will be able to do it in the privacy of your own home.

Is a handmade pair of leather brogues crafted by a master cobbler nicer than a cheap pair of Payless PVC loafers? Is a bespoke made-to-measure suit better than an off-the-rack 3/$99 polyester deal at Joseph A. Bank? Yes and yes. Yet both are "shoes" and a "suit." That's not being elitist -- just a fact.

You are absolutely correct, but if you put a pair of $50 mass produced loafers and a $300 pair of hand made loafers that look almost the same, or a $1500 suit tailored to you against a $200 suit off a rack that looks similar most of the general public is going to take the cheaper option because it costs them less money and they're still going to get a little value out of them. Those hand made loafers may last 10-15 years, but how many people do you know keep shoes or wear the same shoes for that long?

Those $50 pair of loafers may only last a year or so, and most people will be happy with that. People that are buying a $200 suit are probably not the people that have to wear a suit everyday to work. I bought a Calvin Klein suit off the rack in 2004 for about $300. I've worn it to job interviews and extreme special occasions. I still have it, and it still looks just as good.

Everyone has their vices when it comes to quality over quantity. For most of the people on here it's tattoos. For a majority of people who have tattoos it's not. They want to spend the least amount of money for tattoos as they can and they think the ones they have look amazing, until I show them tattoos from the more well known tattooers in the country. I have a buddy that has about 5 or 6 small tattoos, lives maybe 5 miles from Bob Tyrell's shop in Michigan and had no idea who Bob Tyrell was.

Agreed.

Maybe my last post sounded a bit snooty. I myself don't own a suit that didn't come from a thrift store cos I don't have a job that requires it. I guess my point is that for the vast majority of people -- except for the super-rich -- most things are "good enough." I've chosen to spend my money on tattoos. Other dudes might put theirs into fixing up bitchin' old cars or going to the best restaurants in the world or whatever. Not my bag but I get it.

Anyway I have no doubt that 3D printers for tattoos are on their way -- just like they can put photographs on top of cakes now, but I doubt it will put too many tattooers out of business. Those machines are going to be ridiculously expensive and probably kind of buggy at least at first. Robotic surgery will come way sooner I think if it hasn't already.

Like I said before, a lot of the people on here spend probably a majority of their disposable income on tattoos. That's not me, and there are things I would rather spend those thousands of dollars on that other people would roll their eyes at, and that's completely ok.

Even if 3-d printers do become something that people get tattoos from, I still think there will be plenty of real tattooers out there, and I still think a tattoo artist would be helpful with a 3-d printer tattoo machine for everything outside of actually doing the tattoo.

I hate to admit it, guys, but I definitely bought one of these new fangled tattoo machines they're making these days over the weekend. It even has some crazy hinge mechanism in part of it. Hope you guys can forgive me...

http://saltwatertattoosupply.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/wlkr-rssa-1.jpg

Also, what percentage of good tattooers know how to use the equivalent of CAD? Because that seems like what you'd effectively need to do. Whether it became a plan to supplant tattooers, or something just for the sake of art, it's a bad idea. If integrity, heart, and someone who cares about what they're doing for a living doesn't matter to the average client, that doesn't mean that status quo is good. It means people need to show that they care and do their best to do a good job, whether it's a skull/rose or five birds on the wrist.

There's no guarantee of anything being perfect, ever. Which is better, a crap tattoo (inevitably, based on craft aspects of tattooing) done by a robot, or an at least competent tattoo by someone who is nice?

Tattooing involves such an immense amount of critical thinking and on-the-spot decision making.

Thank you, how is it that nobody else mentioned this? Way way too many variables like this make actual tattooing with a robot impractical at best.

The technology is in it's infancy, but that doesn't mean it will never mature.

Newsweek in 1995: Why the Internet will Fail. - The Next Web

Everything starts small, weak, and clumsy.

Did you just seriously compare writing a new computer program with doing a physically invasive procedure like getting a tattoo? Are you fucking kidding me?

If integrity, heart, and someone who cares about what they're doing for a living doesn't matter to the average client, that doesn't mean that status quo is good. It means people need to show that they care and do their best to do a good job, whether it's a skull/rose or five birds on the wrist.

I don't want to make tattooing out to be more than it is, and I don't want to assume the reasons why people get tattoos, but isn't the case--even now with tattoos being mainstream--that there's some rejection of mass culture and the status quo involved in getting tattooed? That even though our homes may be filled with cheap disposable consumer goods made on the other side of the world by workers getting paid pennies per hour, that at least our tattoos are made by hand by skilled craftspeople that we actually get to spend time with and interact with? The thought that some people would see getting rid of the human aspect of tattooing as a positive thing IN ANY WAY really bums me out.

@Graeme Perhaps my late night rambling was poorly worded, but that's basically what I was meaning. If people not caring about how seriously their tattooer takes their job is the status quo, then by showing how much you do care, you may be able to change people's attitudes one at a time (or three, depending on if they bring their cheering section. I believe it was Stewart Robson in his LST interview who said Steve Byrne changed how he saw tattooers to an extent, because he approached a large solid checkerboard piece with the same seriousness and level of care as he would have something he would have been more stoked to do.

From personal experience, I can say it's not a large percentage of people, but I do notice that the more some of the Pinterest-y clients come into the shop where I work, the more they gain a level of trust, and the more they're willing to listen to our ideas on altering things to be a bit different. Without a good attitude towards them, even when they want the Walk With Faith on the foot, or the "sisters" infinity symbol, or the Google dove, etc, etc., that wouldn't happen.

As far as making tattooing out to be more than it is... well, I frequently refer to it as a blood ritual, only semi-jokingly. I don't have much room to talk on that front.

@Graeme Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Let me rephrase, then. Perhaps my early morning reading comprehension is poor.

Also, isn't one of the main points of robotic surgery that it's still directly, 100% controlled by a human being, often times one who, due to their location, wouldn't be able to perform the surgery, and who may be one of only a few people on the planet who can do it? Because that's way, way different than sticking someone on a table, pressing B-7 (the appendectomy button, of course), then going back to reading the Sports section.

I don't do tattoos so maybe it's not my place... but I do digital illustrations, and many of my friends create pictures using computers for a living. I'm fully capable of painting in oils and other physical mediums, but I enjoy computers for their convenience, cost effectiveness and speed. It's an increasingly popular way to paint, but it still faces a lot of prejudice from people who don't understand technology and think digital artists are simpletons who merely press the "art" button. I know nothing about how feasible it is for a machine apply a tattoo to human skin, but I wouldn't dismiss it just because a machine is involved. I don't know how this hypothetical technology would work exactly, but I assume a human would create the design and a computer would help with the physical labor. If that's the case it would still be art created by a human. Not created by a computer. Computers are tools, they aren't replacements for people.

Personally, I assume this kind of printers will kill the tattoo spirit' and values because it's really important for me to feel, to experience a connection with your tattoo artist... U share no emotion with a machine.

On other side, the machine won't tell you during the tattoo act: "hummm... I need to smoke one small cigarette" or " I must go to piss now..."

;) Just kidding.

I don't want to be tattoed by one of these machines.

*shrug* Like I said, everything starts out weak and clumsy. However, if you examine the history of technology you start to see how existing tech gets folded in with emerging tech to create new and unexpected things.

Robot surgery currently needs a human doctor. That may not be the case in 5 years, much less 20. Only time will tell.

Robotic tattooing currently needs a human being to create the design, and to stand by and watch the machinery. Again, that is just the way things are NOW. The future is always in motion, and people are constantly trying to let robots do things better than humans. And creating art is not excepted from this rule. And before someone points out that those are forgeries, I am aware of that. I am also aware that it won't end there.

Personally' date=' I assume this kind of printers will kill the tattoo spirit' and values because it's really important for me to feel, to experience a connection with your tattoo artist... U share no emotion with a machine. On other side, the machine won't tell you during the tattoo act: "hummm... I need to smoke one small cigarette" or " I must go to piss now..." ;) Just kidding. I don't want to be tattoed by one of these machines.[/quote']

I'd bet there are artists who feel a connection to their tattoo machines. I know for a fact Valentino Rossi makes a connection to his machine.

post-6005-146168866598_thumb.jpg

Like I said, I want no part of a computer/human controlled machine/robot tattooing me.

I do not believe these will have the impact the 'tattoo machine' has made on modern tattooing but I'd like to believe there could more advancements in the future that could help or improve tattooing.

I can imagine the reaction the current tattoo machines was something very similar to the over all feeling here. I'd imagine there were ppl who completely balked at the early tattoo machines much the same way. Hell Henry Ford asked my great great grandfather to help him build cars, which he declined saying cars would never last or catch on. History is filled with similar stories and history always repeats itself because people won't listen or learn. It will be interesting to see how this develops, buying in on this 100% would be no more short sighted then dismissing it completely. Again I've no interest right now to have this thing tattoo me, but to dismiss this as unacceptable or impossible..Well that's short sighted as hell based on history(even tattooing history).

http://instagram.com/p/m-Fvx_y1CN/

Some of the comments..

@Graeme Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Let me rephrase, then. Perhaps my early morning reading comprehension is poor.

Also, isn't one of the main points of robotic surgery that it's still directly, 100% controlled by a human being, often times one who, due to their location, wouldn't be able to perform the surgery, and who may be one of only a few people on the planet who can do it? Because that's way, way different than sticking someone on a table, pressing B-7 (the appendectomy button, of course), then going back to reading the Sports section.

Robotic-remote surgery has been around for a while. No doubt life-saving in many cases and they've worked the bugs out.

Robotic tattooing... its being done because it can be done. The first CNC milling machines were also pretty crude and finicky by today's standards. But tattooing, the work piece doesn't sit still. It coughs, twitches, farts, stretches and so on. I can see robotic tattooing in another 5-10 years, tattoo kiosks in malls doing small relatively simple tattoos.

Its the way of the world, everyone wants it NOW and refuses to wait. Scan your bank card, select the artwork and where you want it from a GUI interface. Even the laziest can be walked through it step by step. Pay your $50, stick your arm in and 20 minutes later you have a 2" x 2" piece of permanent artwork.

Rob

One of my buddies want to get a small neon sign with a simple pull chain to turn it on and hang it above the station, so that anytime someone asks "Can I get a tattoo of a word in white ink?" ... stop tattooing, reach over & pull the chain - 'FUCK YOU POSER' pull the chain to turn it back off and return to tattooing. No words or even eye contact need be said or done.

"Can I get a word on my pinky?"

'FUCK YOU POSER'

"Can I just get a line or two with no ink to see if I can take it?"

'FUCK YOU POSER'

"Can I get it backwards so that I can read it in the mirror?"

'FUCK YOU POSER'

(not kidding, this has been requested along with "can I get this quote on my ribs upside down so that I can read it?")

"Can I blah blah blah waste your time blah blah blah I want a tattoo but not really I just want to say I have one"

'FUCK YOU POSER'

The whole idea that this thread is based on gets the FUCK YOU POSER.

Not to any of you personally, I think what I said is pretty clear.