Hey everyone! A bit of help needed.

stirg

Im new to the world of tattooing and have found this to be one of the only helpful and more importantly professional forums out there.

I have searched the forums for good artists in the NY area, but ussually only come up with people in NYC. I am very limited in the time i have to travel (only get short specified periods of leave) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of artists in the NY/NJ area who specialize in american traditional/black and grey tattoos? Pictures would be awesome if you have personal experience with them. Thanks everyone for your time!

Welcome!

What is your issue with artists in NYC if you don't mind me asking? For NJ, I would recommend Electric Tattoo in Bradley Beach, NJ. But knowing exactly where your located would help us direct you to someone in your area. If you're in the NY/NJ area, NYC really is the way to go... Not a lot of *decent* shops outside the city, IMO.

Hey sorry for being vague. I am located at West Point, NY. I only wanted to avoid NYC because of the cost associated with traveling there and back/ possibly having to find somewhere to stay, but if NYC is going to be my best bet then i am open to it. I am also on a budget of around $5-600 and wanted to get the highest quality tattoo i could. hope that helps narrow it down a bit.

Hey sorry for being vague. I am located at West Point, NY. I only wanted to avoid NYC because of the cost associated with traveling there and back/ possibly having to find somewhere to stay, but if NYC is going to be my best bet then i am open to it. I am also on a budget of around $5-600 and wanted to get the highest quality tattoo i could. hope that helps narrow it down a bit.

No worries. Now I understand, that is a hike to NYC. I think @Graeme's suggestion is the best so far. I've heard great things about that shop. Keep us updated on your tattoo progress!

I'm definately going to give them a call. Thanks for the suggestions!

I know talking about pricing is kind of taboo when it comes to tattoos and that it can vary tremendously between artist and location, but what kind of size/complexity can i reasonably expect for around 5/600? I don't want to make any requests to the artist that are unreasonable or far fetched and waste everyone's time.

I know talking about pricing is kind of taboo when it comes to tattoos and that it can vary tremendously between artist and location, but what kind of size/complexity can i reasonably expect for around 5/600? I don't want to make any requests to the artist that are unreasonable or far fetched and waste everyone's time.

It is taboo, but you're also right that it is entirely dependent on the artist, their hourly rate and speed of tattooing, the complexity of the design, and so on.. So it's best to speak with them directly. I can say I have gotten tattooed on a budget very similar to yours. The artist was able to work within my budget and I got the tattoo I wanted. If the tattoo you want winds up costing more than your immediate budget, then definitely consider doing multiple sessions over time. It's worth the extra $ to get the best tattoo, whether you get it now or down the road.

Hope that was helpful!

When did an hour trip become a long haul?

There's also Planet New York Tattoo in Poughkeepsie, and Honorable Ink in Beacon.

Depending on what you plan on getting, you may not be paying an hourly rate. I'm almost positive you won't be paying 200 bucks an hour in upstate NY, but you're better off GOING IN and talking to the front guy or a tattooer for more info.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, since we are talking about NYC, peep Nick Caruso at Invisible (manhattan), Jeb Maykut, Fernando Lions and Mike Lucena at and Steve Huie at Flyrite (BK), Benjamin Haft at Fun City (manhattan).

NJ on the other hand, I would suggest Black Panther/Electric Tattoo, Chris Pesonen and Mike Schweigert and the guys at Jinxproof in Montclair.

All these people can put in awesome tattoos, whether it be black and grey or traditional.

People are going to suggest whom they go to or want to go to, even though NYC and NY is saturated with solid tattooers.

Hey thanks for the advice. It's not exactly a long haul, it is just harder for me to get to from post. Im only allowed to leave on certain days and i don't have transportation, so it takes some planning. If that is absolutely the way to go i would be willing to do it though.

Can anyone post some tradional tattoo work that took 3-5 hours to complete? thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome!

For NJ, I would recommend Electric Tattoo in Bradley Beach, NJ. .

This is an excellent suggestion honestly.......as well as Mike Shishmanian!

Or you could go down to Brooklyn and be tattooed by Mike Perfetto....he has been there since the mid 70's....plus it's an experience.....first come/first served!

Smith Street in Brooklyn is another awesome option......everyone there does excellent work!

Sorry if this has already been said in this thread.....

Coming to the city is too far for him.

He had mentioned..... "If that is absolutely the way to go i would be willing to do it though."

Just thought I'd throw those suggestions out! On weekdays at the right time those two places aren't too bad to get to and find parking.......at least that's been my experience!

Perfetto's shop isn't too far from the subway....maybe like 4-5 big blocks I think....I know I walked up that way while I was waiting to be tattooed...

Hello and welcome

You mention that you are posted up in West Point, respect for serving. It is an experience I am sad I did not do.

I was curious I know that there has been discussion on budget (I don't want to label it as overall tattoo pricing) affecting the upcoming experience. Would breaking the tattoo up into sessions make it more feasible to get something closer to what you are envisioning?

I know $600 is a good chunk of change, but in this world it can go very quickly. I have never felt a deadline /rush to get something ASAP so another option could be just keep saving until you have a better idea of what you want. I only say this because reading the posts I believe your tattoo was labeled "something american traditional or black & grey"

So also curious what were you thinking of getting? (huge fan or american traditional)

Do you have a car? Are you limited to public transportation.

Specifically, what do you want to get? Do you want to collect a few small tattoos or start a sleeve?

There are soooo many good tattooers in the city, in the boroughs , upstate , NJ etc.

Is that your entire tattoo budget or just to get started? I'm sorry to bombard you with questions but I think your answers will help us direct you better