Prejudice against people with poorly done tattoos?

Yeh I do understand what you are saying man, I didn't mean to say that 'personal' tattoos were necessarily. or even likely to be terrible. But I do think that a lot of so called 'bad' tattoos are not just the fault of incompetent tattooists (although of course this is the case too) but on the insistence upon personal meaning and so called originality, over and above the design.

Many paintings look wonderful on a canvas but do not work when copied onto someones forearm because they are not readable and don't flow with the contours of the body. Similarly with the knives and forks down the arm example its not that that idea couldn't be incorporated into a really solid tattoo, but that it needs to be grounded in something, solid lines, framing, background etc which has its roots in the traditions of tattooing. I guess you could say that is the job of the tattooer, but I think sometimes people don't make it easy.

I really hope I don't come over like i'm judging people, as I say I've done exactly the same myself, and if someone is pleased with their tattoos and it gets them through the night then who the hell am I to judge! But to follow your music analogy, I'm not saying that because I like 1970's rock music someone else is dumb for listening to hip hop. But if I've only ever listened to Donny Osmond (the musical equivilent of my own early tattoo choices!) and the guy down the street is blasting out 'Exile on Main St.' its obvious to me that only one of us is interested in art.

Maybe my lack of experience is tainting my opinion, but I do think the artist holds most of the responsibility. If someone insists on a design or requirement that will result in a bad tattoo and the artist knows it, why would he still do the tattoo ?

People might not make it easy for the artist, but the artist still has the option to turn down a customer.

When it comes to original work, is it possible a great artist, a great tattooer and a great tattoo artist are 3 different things ?

Maybe my lack of experience is tainting my opinion, but I do think the artist holds most of the responsibility. If someone insists on a design or requirement that will result in a bad tattoo and the artist knows it, why would he still do the tattoo ?

People might not make it easy for the artist, but the artist still has the option to turn down a customer.

Yeh I do get where you are coming from man, I think its the artists responsibility to guide their client in helping them to make the right choice. But equally, I'd imagine in some street shops if you turned away every client with a bad idea you wouldn't be able to keep the lights on long. The final decision is on you.

On a side note, that octopus of yours looks absolutely beautiful!

Yeh I do get where you are coming from man, I think its the artists responsibility to guide their client in helping them to make the right choice. But equally, I'd imagine in some street shops if you turned away every client with a bad idea you wouldn't be able to keep the lights on long. The final decision is on you.

On a side note, that octopus of yours looks absolutely beautiful!

True. Customers should respect an artists suggestions. There are a ton of people living here in NYC and luckily, many quality tattoo artists. Enough artists and clients that many artists stick to their preferred style and regularly turn down work.

So far, I have 4 tattoos by 4 different artists. Two artists have 15+ years tattoo experience. I like them all, but the difference in the quality of the tattoo is following the artists experience level.

Thanks for the kind words on my octopus. Funny story that is applicable to this thread. The artist is deviating from what I said I wanted. He said it would not look good in a tattoo. I am taking his advice.

In terms of the people staring, or judging us just for having tattoos, I know for me one thing I am learning is NOT to have a chip on my shoulder...like, expecting people to stare and judge.

I had two situations recently that made me realize--I'm the one judging them by thinking they are judging me!

I saw an old lady at Trader Joe's. She was looking at me real funny and I was wearing a short sleeve shirt. I assumed she didn't like my tattoos. To my surprise she came right up to me, reached out her hand to lightly touch my arm, smiled and said, "Oh my! I thought that was a real baby at first, hahaha!" I was holding my daughter's doll in my arm the way you would hold a real infant and I guess it just freaked the lady out at first and then she was laughing about it. I started laughing and said to myself, man you just judged that lady as being uptight about tattoos and she wasn't AT ALL!

Then like a week after that, yet another old lady was shopping at Albertson's supermarket. She was taking up a lot of room in the aisle, her cart was in the middle and she was on one side, not leaving me much room to get by. I tried to squeeze through, she glanced up and had a grumpy expression on her face and I immediately jumped to, "She's disgusted by my tattoos." No sooner did I think that when her face softened into a big smile and she said, "Oh look at me taking up the whole aisle, like I'm the only one in the store!" I laughed and told her not to worry about it as she pulled her cart out of my way. I walked away thinking what is the matter with me? Why do I keep judging these old ladies?

It must be because of my mom. She is the only one who has ever actually said anything to my face about her disdain for tattoos. I need to get over it. Older ladies looking conservative, wearing mom-jeans, whatever, looking your way, looking grouchy....they don't necessarily hate tattoos! Some are curious, some think they are cool.

I definitely receive many more compliments than disses, and seem to run into friendly people wherever I go. I'm trying to embrace it, and not expect people to not like them any more. If they don't like them, whatever, that's their problem, but I shouldn't expect them to not like them.

Shit, I am discriminated against just because I have tattoos period. I take my son to school and all the broads in their 'Mom Jeans', gawk at me like they have never seen anyone like me before. It's pretty stupid. Lucky for me - I don't give a shit. =)

I feel that women should always have the best tattoos on them, just for the reason you illustrate. Everyone tends to be more critical of tattoos on women, from a male or female perspective. So give them something good to crow about. And people need to get out more... tattoos are no longer a circus side-show attraction.

Rob

- - - Updated - - -

^^^ Good points. I knew when I started on my arm that I was gonna be looked at more frequently, and asked about it's meaning - yada yada. I don't mind it at all, I knew what I was getting into. Most of my other tattoos can be covered up, but it's fucking hot in So. Cal and I pretty much live in tank tops year round.

I just throw a 'bitch please' look when I am being stared at my scurdy cats at school. Never had a problem with my sons' friends coming for play dates though.

I caught a lot of shit when I was involved in Cub Scouts from ONE parent who thought it was inappropriate for me to be in a leadership position with having tattoos. But everyone supported me and I wasn't going anywhere. Long story short, where was this lady's husband? Doing a 10-15 for drug dealing.

Rob

I kind of miss the days when tattooing was the underbelly of society. Tattoo shops weren't labelled "boutiques", they were found on the fringes of the city, down the backstreets & alley ways, well out of view of mainstream population.

I became part of this culture because I didn't fit in with mainstream & nor did I ever want to. I loved the mysticism & the secrecy behind it.

With it becoming so mainstream these days, it def has its benefits. There's no way I could be in the position of work I am now, 20 years ago. I can turn up to executive meetings with my hands, fingers & neck sleeved in & be judged on my performance, not my looks...so it also gives me the opportunity to educate mainstream pop in a round a bout way that tattooed people "do know their shit, & can talk the talk". I love blowing peoples pre conceived misconceptions.

The side to it I don't like is that elitism status. The, "I'm too kool for skool" attitude I see a lot of these days.

Once upon a time, tattooed people had that special understanding of respect. Now it appears to have created cliques.

I believe that when I strip down at a show & am on stage with other tattooed people...we're all the same, no matter what the work is, no matter how old it is. I don't look at designs, I look at overall effect.

I believe when we're together, we should be treating each other with that old time respect (old skool is used to loosely), that acknowledgement, that understanding that we've been to the "same place" that most citizens will never understand.

I don't expect to be sized up & judged by my own, which sadly happens a lot these days.

So, I'm kind of hoping that it takes a full circle. That the superstars, the beautiful people & sports stars don't find it trendy anymore, & we can give it back to the people who understand it.

Just a bit of my 2 cents on how I kind of view it.

@TrixieFaux - your experiences reminded me of this: so far, the least judgmental person at work to have seen my tattoos has been a very cool, take-no-bullshit older woman who I was expecting to have a strongly unfavorable opinion about them. Instead, she thought they were pretty and said, "I imagine you just forget they're there most of the time." She just got it, right away. (Meanwhile, a couple people who I thought wouldn't bat an eye have told me I was an idiot when I got the first one.)

A good reminder that age often has nothing to do with open-mindedness, and that assumptions are usually about what's going on in my head, rather than the person in front of me.

@TrixieFaux - your experiences reminded me of this: so far, the least judgmental person at work to have seen my tattoos has been a very cool, take-no-bullshit older woman who I was expecting to have a strongly unfavorable opinion about them. Instead, she thought they were pretty and said, "I imagine you just forget they're there most of the time." She just got it, right away. (Meanwhile, a couple people who I thought wouldn't bat an eye have told me I was an idiot when I got the first one.)

A good reminder that age often has nothing to do with open-mindedness, and that assumptions are usually about what's going on in my head, rather than the person in front of me.

An excellent viewpoint. Most people at work got no idea I'm so inked. The few that I run into on the outside usually don't know what to say at all. Awkward...

But tattoos are a good way to see how people react to diversity. Like anything at work, I keep lots of things to myself and really don't share too much personal things that I have going on in my life.

Rob

I feel that women should always have the best tattoos on them, just for the reason you illustrate. Everyone tends to be more critical of tattoos on women, from a male or female perspective. So give them something good to crow about. And people need to get out more... tattoos are no longer a circus side-show attraction.

Rob

- - - Updated - - -

I caught a lot of shit when I was involved in Cub Scouts from ONE parent who thought it was inappropriate for me to be in a leadership position with having tattoos. But everyone supported me and I wasn't going anywhere. Long story short, where was this lady's husband? Doing a 10-15 for drug dealing.

Rob

I wear all my tattoos proudly, even the subpar ones I got many years ago. I am who I am, and if you don't like it - too bad for you, cuz I am pretty rad. Tattoos or not. =)

Cheers.

I wear all my tattoos proudly, even the subpar ones I got many years ago. I am who I am, and if you don't like it - too bad for you, cuz I am pretty rad. Tattoos or not. =)

Cheers.

It sounds like you're having a good time regardless of anyone's negative opinion. That's how it should be. I've got some subpar ink that is fairly new... working on that next.

Rob

Ill admit to giggling at 90's tribal work and probably made people feel shame for their choices. I'm late to the game and I'm thankful for that. I have learned from other people's mistake and continue to educate myself almost every day. I'm honestly trying not to be a judgmental p*ick & keeping the "hate" to myself.

It's hard though.