Relationships and tattoos

gougetheeyes

This is all pretty interesting, for some reason I didn't expect there to be such varied answers to it- glad there are though :)

For me, I think I could easily be with a guy who didn't have tattoos, as long as he was interested. If I couldn't have a good conversation about tattoos in any way, I probably wouldn't see the point. I already bore friends who aren't interested, haha. My best friend doesn't have a line on his body, but he still knows about tattoos and is really interested in them (just says he doesn't want them on his own skin- he'll change his mind, I reckon). If he wasn't interested in tattoos, I don't think we'd be best friends, because I'd bore him to death about work stuff or whatever magazine I'm shoving in his face at the time! When it comes to attractiveness, I don't think tattoos are that important, they're just a really great bonus, as long as they're good tattoos anyway.

If I couldn't have a good conversation about tattoos in any way, I probably wouldn't see the point.

Mel, good to see you here I know your blog. Good point about the whole conversation aspect. I bore the shit out of various friends when they make the mistake of asking me about anything tattoo related. They get way too much information.

My GF has no tattoos, and thinks she probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger or acted on a latent interest in them without having met me. As is she's booked in for a consultation for a fairly large piece later this year.

I do think she had to be open to a 'slow creep' of more tattoos on me, as I was relatively lightly tattooed when we met and added chest, legs and plans for my back in the time we've been together. There's no point where she's drawn a line and said "no more" or "not there" thusfar - whereas a lot of friends have partners who would or have.

I think, actually, one of the only times someone could really legitimately object as part of a couple is that if you have kids/debts/bills and the tattooing is a luxury you can't afford.

That's actually been a sore subject for me the last 2 years. When I started dating my ex I had already gotten my first tattoo, and wanted more. Through the first year of us being together I continued to get tattoos to which he helped me design them, take care of them (back peice) and encouraged me to go for an apprenticeship (thats another story)

Any way fast forward a bit and one of his final reasons for breaking up with me was because of my tattoos, suddenly he no longer liked the looks of girls with tattoos (he had none of his own) and decided to throw 2 years down the drain.

Any more I make it sort of a standard to even consider dating a guy that he must have at least 2 tattoos. Other wise I get almost the same reaction as i got from my ex.

Mel, good to see you here I know your blog. Good point about the whole conversation aspect. I bore the shit out of various friends when they make the mistake of asking me about anything tattoo related. They get way too much information.

Hey thanks mate :) Feeling welcome already! I'm exactly the same, I think sometimes I get irritated. Last time I got tattooed, I sat in the pub a few days later talking about Charlie Roberts for about half an hour before one friend said, "Mel, we don't know who this person is and why we should care!". I shut up after that, haha :P

That's actually been a sore subject for me the last 2 years. When I started dating my ex I had already gotten my first tattoo, and wanted more. Through the first year of us being together I continued to get tattoos to which he helped me design them, take care of them (back peice) and encouraged me to go for an apprenticeship (thats another story)

Any way fast forward a bit and one of his final reasons for breaking up with me was because of my tattoos, suddenly he no longer liked the looks of girls with tattoos (he had none of his own) and decided to throw 2 years down the drain.

Stitch626, how lucky for you to not be in a relationship with a fickle, small minded little man anymore.

Sounds like he just released you from what could've been a long and lengthy suppression of your true self, I'm willing to bet he was vacillating and thoughtless in other areas as well.

Maybe you should send him a thank you card every year on the anniversary of your independence?

Stitch626, how lucky for you to not be in a relationship with a fickle, small minded little man anymore.

Sounds like he just released you from what could've been a long and lengthy suppression of your true self, I'm willing to bet he was vacillating and thoughtless in other areas as well.

Maybe you should send him a thank you card every year on the anniversary of your independence?

Very true and I actually considered doing that, though a few days later I walked into my shop and got more ink, and have continued to do so every year since on the day we broke up. I've been told by numerous people that I was lucky to get out of it what could have been a relationship that could have been full of suffering. And yes he was very indecisive about things.

• 2 months later...

When I met my husband about 9 years ago I had 1 tattoo and he had 0. Now I have 5 and on the day I got my 4th (last month), my hubby got his 1st! I think he's hooked now, as he's been printing out images that are inspiring him for his next tattoo. I'm happy about it. I loved him anyway and would be fine with it if he didn't want any--it's his skin after all. But now that he shares my interest it's pretty cool.

If I were ever to be single again, which is unlikely, I couldn't date someone who wasn't tattooed, or had only a couple. I find that when you are a women and you are heavily tattooed and you date a guy with less or no tattoos it creates this weird dynamic. Like the dude is always trying to prove he's tough even though he doesn't have tattoos. Or it just becomes this thing that they always want to talk about with their friends and whatever to prove how cool they are because their lady has tattoos, like living vicariously though your tattoos. Or you get the guys who don't have tattoos and only like you because you do have tattoos because it's cool or some dumb shit like that. I also couldn't date someone who has really horrible tattoos and thinks they are really good ones. In college when I only had maybe 5 or less I had a guy tell me I had enough and shouldn't get anymore, I instantly knew he'd never turn into anything real.

I've been in several relationships with untattooed partners.

I don't seek out tattooed partners, but due to my social circles, that's just how things tend to work out.

Plus, tattooed chicks do ana.... err. Wrong thread.

One of my untattooed girlfriends had Dave Bruehl do a sleeve for her first tattoo.

My fiance (oh hey, I got engaged last week) has no tattoos but is talking large Thomas Hooper tattooing for her first tattoo.

I honestly rarely give it any thought.

since I started becoming very interested in march , My wife has gone from" you can get your back tattoo covered" to last week saying everything except visible and please keep your chest bare. So I got green light for back,ribs,stomach shoulders upper arms and thighs. I guess My Enthusiasm is catching on because she is tossing around the idea of getting something small.. I never thought she would even think about that.

My ex wife didn't like tattoos until we broke up, then she kind of went nuts. She got her stomach tattooed by Clae Welch and a bunch of other tattoos form people around town and one time even came in on her birthday to get tattooed at the shop I worked at, luckily I was not there that day. At some point during this we discussed getting back together but tattoos weren't the issue and never solved the issue, although I always found it odd that she was so against me getting tattoos for so long.

Funny my current wife doesn't have a lot of tattoos, we worked together for a short time but we became friends because her aunt was in town and they wanted to get a tattoo, but were having trouble finding a place that did walk ins. I made a few calls and got them squeezed in. I think that was her first real tattoo, although she had a couple homemade jobs from high school. She has gotten a few tattoos since then, but doesn't seem to want to be covered and I don't think she has been tattooed in about two years, but she is going to get tattooed in a couple of weeks by Mario Desa because for her its time for a new one. There are still parts of tattooing she doesn't get but I think she understands that it is important to me and that it enough for her. Plus we keep separate bank accounts for spending money so that never becomes an issue.

Upon talking with my wife about me getting heavily covered, she says she will divorce me. I told her okay, get the papers I'll sign them. We'll just have to wait and see what happens when that becomes an issue, her areas she does not want covered in tattoos is arms, chest and stomach. Already have plans for legs and back so she is trying to pick her battles.

feel free to yell at me for saying this but i find that heavily tattooed women, if they are not tattooers themselves, are off the fucking wall... and i love them but never date them

and to address what brian was saying about his buddy's meeting girls in the shop that they tattooed and who are now interested in tattooing. i hate to sound like a shit head but from my personal experience, thats going to be a shit show and i wish them the best of luck

My girlfriend of the past eight years is a total pinky. Nothing, nada, zilch. I had visible tattoos when she saw me for the first time, it's never been an issue, and there have been a lot of new tattoos on me since.

If kittens licked em' on she'd be covered from head to toe, but since they're done with needles it ain't never gonna happen. It doesn't bother her in the least that I get stared at sometimes if we go to a nice restaurant or the movies.

We were at dinner a couple of weeks ago and she stared at my arms for a while and said "Hey buddy, you know you got a big open spot on the back of your left forearm. When are you gonna get something so your arms match".

God I love that woman!!!

Funny thing is the only men I've ever heard her say she thought were attractive to her were me (better be), Paul (the guy that's been tattooing be for the last year) and Mike Ness from Social D (I turned her into a complete Social D junkie)!

My husband has no tattoos but he encouraged me to get both of the ones I have. His opinion on tattoos is "I like them if they're good." The only thing he didn't like was that both of mine were on my left side and I slept on my right for a week after each tattoo. He was annoyed by that because we couldn't snuggle and it made it hard for him to sleep, which I can kind of understand. I feel kind of weird going to sleep when I'm not at home because I'm used to being snuggled in between him and the cat with basically zero room to myself.

feel free to yell at me for saying this but i find that heavily tattooed women, if they are not tattooers themselves, are off the fucking wall... and i love them but never date them

and to address what brian was saying about his buddy's meeting girls in the shop that they tattooed and who are now interested in tattooing. i hate to sound like a shit head but from my personal experience, thats going to be a shit show and i wish them the best of luck

HAHAHA more brutal honesty, please