Relationships and tattoos

gougetheeyes

Crazy beyond words. I am getting the rest of Sailor Jerry piece done tomorrow. My Ex Wife wants to come and watch my artist work. She wants her first Ink and only trust the guy who does my ink....

My Ex was the one that pushed me over on getting one, I started with one and kept going.  My current lady has some and enjoys traditional tattoos a lot, like I do, but I'm a collector that hunts down artists and originals and she is just enjoying the body art and going to one guy she trusts.  We have a lot of fun just showing each other designs and artists we like, she likes bringing me to her appointments and so does her artist.  Her artist likes to get nerdy about artists and flash with me and we talk about that stuff during her sessions. Everybody has a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one on my right shoulder and just have color yet to do on my my Japanese half sleeve on my left arm.  My wife doesn't have any currently, but is getting a small one on her foot in honor of the family, the day after I finish my 1/2 sleeve.  I might be able to talk her into another small one, but I think that would be it.  I on the other hand, have been bitten.  She may have to hide the checkbook from me.

I have two so far and planning a third by the end of the year.  I had one small one when I met my husband 16 years ago, which I have since gotten covered up/enlarged. He has none and is not interested in ever getting any for himself. Apparently I told him that I planned on getting more when we met, but I don't remember that conversation. He appreciates art and he likes my tattoos.  He is very supportive of my future ideas. He laughs that my second was barely healed and I already have my third and fourth ideas planned in my mind.  He actually gets pretty excited for me when I show him my ideas, and he likes my artist's work so much that he suggested that I "don't cheat on him".  Funny way to put it, right? I'm feeling lucky that he supports me with whatever choices I make for my own body, I personally know others that aren't so fortunate. 

• 1 month later...

I've always loved tattoos on girls/boys/whatever you identify as. My boyfriend wants to get tattoos, but is currently waiting to be in a better financial place to get some. I'd be fine with dating someone who never intended to get a tattoo (as long as they don't hold my tattoo over my head). 

My girlfriend has always loved my tattoos, so I never encountered any kind of problem. But I think if someone really loves you, they wouldn't care if you did or didn't have any. And if they don't like them to begin with, then they'll just need to get used to them if they want to stay with you!
I agree with this. I have Tattoos my husband does not. Hes not at all interested. But I think it shouldn't matter if you have tattoos or not. Being tattooed does not have the stigma of the old times. (Thank God!) I mean maybe some really narrow minded people might feel that way but for the most part its readily accepted and many many people have them young and old. If the person was so shallow as to judge you for your tattoos you wouldn't want to be with that kind of person anyway right?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On May 13, 2018 at 3:13 AM, realsis said:

Being tattooed does not have the stigma of the old times. (Thank God!) I mean maybe some really narrow minded people might feel that way but for the most part its readily accepted and many many people have them young and old. If the person was so shallow as to judge you for your tattoos you wouldn't want to be with that kind of person anyway right?

I was having breakfast the other morning and this lady kept giving me the stink eye. I got tired of it so finally I just confronted her. I said, "OK mom, that's enough; I know you don't like my tattoos."  :-)

I'm dating a lady that loves tattoos, she's been there with me for some of my recent work and she even got one herself. I  believe that she does not do well with pain, but she has the next one picked out.

I was in the shop having some forearm work done in April and the artist likes her and she's allowed to sit close and watch her work. The GF took offense to something I said and that spread a poop mist over the shop vibe. I just said to her, maybe you should be going. And she did, that was almost the end of us.

Edited by Colored Guy

• 2 months later...

This is an interesting subject as each of us have very different opinions. I don’t really care if the other person is tattooed or not. I’ve met gorgeous people with and without tattoos. Overall I think tattoos are mostly beautiful (guess depending on the tattoo), but it wouldn’t be a problem for me dating someone with no tattoos or no interest in them. In my case it’s because as much as I love tattoos, they are not THAT important in my life. I mean, they have a meaning for me and I need them, they are part of me and give me strength. But hey, if somebody is not into it it’s ok for me. I’d like to share my excitement on tattoos with my significant other but I can do it with friends also. Maybe it’s because I’m really independent? Who knows.

• 3 months later...
On 6/19/2018 at 10:55 PM, Hogrider said:

I was having breakfast the other morning and this lady kept giving me the stink eye. I got tired of it so finally I just confronted her. I said, "OK mom, that's enough; I know you don't like my tattoos." 🙂

@Hogrider Hahaha, that is SO BRAVE of you to respond that way. How did that lady respond? 

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My wife has tattoos but neither of us had them when we were married.  I think its important to get to know someone before getting married.  That might sound like a no brainer........but....there are a lot of people that jump into marriage then start discovering how much they differ in different areas.  I'm glad I have a supportive spouse.  It makes a difference.  Good topic!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I’m just venturing into tattoos. Have my first scheduled for next month. Wife? Haven’t told her. It’s much like when my Golden Retriever died earlier this year and I decided to get a new pup. She would object. So why bring it up, just bring it home. The tattoo is the same deal. Well, it maybe a bigger deal bc she’s Japanese and we live in Japan, so there is a stigma to deal with. But at 68 I’m too old to give a shit.

I’m just venturing into tattoos. Have my first scheduled for next month. Wife? Haven’t told her. It’s much like when my Golden Retriever died earlier this year and I decided to get a new pup. She would object. So why bring it up, just bring it home. The tattoo is the same deal. Well, it maybe a bigger deal bc she’s Japanese and we live in Japan, so there is a stigma to deal with. But at 68 I’m too old to give a shit.
I had Japanese students in a class about a decade ago (here in the USA). They had one good English speaker to translate for the other four. I had heard about cultural problems with tattoos in Japan, so did not want prejudice to my teaching because of it. I wore long sleeves the first day and discussed the isdue with the translator. He said that they understood USA is different culture than theirs, and much of the world had tattoos as a mainstream expression. He also said that the most common problem he knew of in Japan was from gang-related tattoos. He discussed it with the other guts, and it was a non-issue. Still, families hold prejudices for generations, and it may depend on how she feels her family may see it. I could tell that my wife worried about her Appalacian family would see mine, but several of them have ink now so it became a non-issue.